PDA

View Full Version : Flock

TravisNewman
October 21st, 2005, 06:05 AM
http://www.flock.com/

Like the premise or not, in both Windows and Linux, it would seem that startup time and page load time are much faster than firefox, which makes little sense as this is a developer preview, based on Firefox. I'm writing this in Flock, and I have to say, I'm sold. The community integration, bookmark syncing, etc, not to mention the support for firefox extensions, and one super slick default theme. Give it a go. You might not agree with what I'm saying, but I freakin love this.

Zenith_
October 21st, 2005, 06:10 AM
I'm loving it too. :) It definately loads pages way faster than Firefox for me.

The only thing I don't like is that it's not easy to navigate around your bookmarks without actually going into the manager. But hopefully they'll come up with a solution for that.

bored2k
October 21st, 2005, 06:14 AM
Screenshot? I still don't get what it is.

Goober
October 21st, 2005, 06:18 AM
Here's the FAQ: http://www.flock.com/about/faq.php

It appears to be an Internet Browsers built off of Firefox which is supposed to be fast. Like, a lot faster. I personally am too lazy to swtich to anything, and I am too used to Firefox to be bothered to swtich. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Plus I can stand Firefox being a bit slow at times.

Zenith_
October 21st, 2005, 06:21 AM
It's also 'mostly' aimed at people who blog, and use features like deli.cio.us, so if that doesn't apply to you then you probably won't be too impressed anyway. :)

ltmon
October 21st, 2005, 06:26 AM
I was quite sceptical at first, but it really is quite an impressive browser.

If you are a blogger, social bookmarker, flikr user you will see the coolest features. Check out the flikr topbar and the "Blog this" context menu entry for example.

I think the feed handling is better than firefox "live bookmarks" also.

In almost all other aspects it behaves like a faster version of firefox with a pretty skin. You could technically get the same thing with a whole lot of plugins, but the plugins in flock have been well integrated and professionally made.

I don't think it will knock Firefox off it's current podium, but there definately is a market segment out there that will find Flock to be a better web experience overall.

Do they actually plan on making money off this somehow?

L.

lotusleaf
October 21st, 2005, 06:46 AM
Related Slashdot.org articles+discussion for more information:

" Firefox-based Social Browser Flock Launches" (http://slashdot.org/articles/05/10/21/0230209.shtml?tid=95&tid=154&tid=185&tid=1) 10/20/2005

" Flock, the New Browser on the Block" (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/05/1817248&tid=185&tid=95) 10/05/2005

Disclaimer: I haven't tried Flock as of this posting so I can't comment on it

skoal
October 21st, 2005, 07:03 AM
If you name a browser flock, then it better fly baby, fly! Any benchmark comparisons?

...by the way, from now on when I see WTF on any linux forum, I'll just assume they're talking about their new browser segfaulting. Yes, F is for flock. I'll go set the oven to 450 and stick my head it in now. My apologies...

\\//_

benplaut
October 21st, 2005, 07:10 AM
i tried it, and i don't see any compelling reason to switch. Yes, it renders a bit faster, but compared to FF 1.5, it's about the same (i'm assuming 1.5 is their base, going by the prefences dialog)

so far, i'm not impressed...

majikstreet
October 21st, 2005, 02:17 PM
It looks really nice-- I still have to play around with it more.

getaceres
October 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM
It's faster because it's based on Firefox 1.5beta, that's faster than Firefox 1.0.X.
Anyway, I'm using now and I like the theme (Nothing that couldn't be done with a Firefox theme) but I'm a bit confused with the bookmark system.
I'm not a blogger but for someone that uses blogs and flickr it's the definitive browser.

rjwood
October 21st, 2005, 07:56 PM
HOw does it compare with opera???

majikstreet
October 21st, 2005, 07:58 PM
HOw does it compare with opera???
That's hard to say.

I still use opera though.

WildTangent
October 22nd, 2005, 12:52 AM
I'm seeing, and I'm liking...but from what I hear it's basically just FF 1.5, which I've yet to try out. Perhaps I'll go with that, because I don't have a blog, and likely never will.

-Wild

xequence
October 22nd, 2005, 04:34 AM
It looks cool. I dont like the name though ;)

Ok, just downloaded and installed it. I am running it now... It does have a nice look to it but from using it for 20 seconds, its nothing special. I might change my mind in a couple minutes though.

somuchfortheafter
October 22nd, 2005, 09:13 PM
what if i hate bloggers.. is there a browser for us?

BWF89
October 22nd, 2005, 11:09 PM
It's based off of Firefox 1.5 and alot of us haven't tried 1.5 so ofcouse it's going to be quite a bit faster than the current stable version 1.07. I've been useing Firefox for awhile now and since it's been good to me I'm going to stick with it.
Also,

Going forward, we may incorporate some proprietary code from partners, or even created in-house, but our plan is for the vast majority if not all of our code to be open source for the foreseeable future.
:???:

xequence
October 22nd, 2005, 11:25 PM
Well, it automatically logged into my wordpress acount and let posted something I told it to ;) I like it :)

benplaut
October 23rd, 2005, 01:06 AM
what if i hate bloggers.. is there a browser for us?

unfortunately, we're left out in the cold :(

jeb0921
October 25th, 2005, 02:26 AM
yesterday I downloaded and installed the newest browser from the firefox people. It is being dubbed firefox on steroids. It's called flock and for now the developer version is available for download. There is a linux, windows and mac version available. After two days of use, I kinda like it. It is a second generation browser with a lot of extras. Check it out. With firefox, I was always getting crashes, also with opera, but with flock, I have yet to have a crash of any type. Some things are different but easy to figure out.

www.flock.com

:p

aysiu
October 25th, 2005, 02:30 AM
yesterday I downloaded and installed the newest browser from the firefox people. My understanding was that it involved some Firefox developers but was not necessarily "from the Firefox people" (i.e., Mozilla).

graabein
October 25th, 2005, 10:50 AM
I have not tried it yet but I found some screenshots here (http://flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/sets/1082355/).

rosslaird
October 26th, 2005, 12:00 AM
I'm joining the chorus: Flock is pretty cool. I'm a finicky browser user -- I switch from Opera to Firefox to Galeon to Kazekahase depending on my mood -- and Flock seems to have some unique and interesting features for those of us who blog and use social bookmarking.

Konqueror still renders pages the best (most accurately, most standards-compliant) of all the Linux browsers, but Flock seems very promising at this early stage.

Ross

basketcase
October 26th, 2005, 01:28 AM
I like it as well. Haven't put it up on my linux box, but it is on my work notebook.

23meg
October 26th, 2005, 01:40 AM
If it redraws faster than Firefox and delivers on the premise of Firefox extension support, I'll consider it. Ubuntu's 1.07 build is still too heavy.

bdash
October 26th, 2005, 05:05 AM
If it redraws faster than Firefox and delivers on the premise of Firefox extension support, I'll consider it. Ubuntu's 1.07 build is still too heavy.

It is basically a Firefox 1.5 with some additions (= extensions), so this is why it is faster than FF1.0.7, and it supports FF extensions.

It should be compared with Firefox 1.5, not with 1.0.7.

TravisNewman
October 26th, 2005, 05:07 AM
I should point out, I was comparing it with 1.5

23meg
October 26th, 2005, 05:11 AM
It seems it's a commercial project. I'm out.

TravisNewman
October 27th, 2005, 01:39 AM
define "commercial project" though-- Ubuntu is a commercial project. The core developers are employed by Canonical, a corporation. Mozilla has a corporation and a NPO.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm curious about what business practices they're using that you don't agree with, because I may very well have missed something (ADD and all).

bdash
October 27th, 2005, 09:20 AM

I have a question:
- Are you a developer, or computer scientist?
- How do you make money?

I mean - I think it's nice when developers use their spare time to make great free software. But it's even better when developers can get paid to make free software.

23meg
October 27th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I have nothing, absolutely nothing against people making money from developing or marketing software. I'm fully aware that many leading open source projects including Ubuntu itself are developed by paid developers. It's just that I won't feel comfortable using such a central piece of communication software as a browser when the foundation behind it is not stating its money making strategy and its privacy policy in clear terms, and just saying a vague "don't worry, we'll be nice when the time comes" which leads to the suspicion that privacy breaching strategies such data mining might be the way. Am I over-paranoid? You be the judge, but I'm surely more sensitive than the average user when data mining is the case; I'm known to clean GUIDs in Google's cookies when using Gmail's web interface, for example. I don't like the very idea of text in my email being analyzed by some company to categorize me and put me into a specific marketing niche.

It's quite a nice browser as well; I'll just prefer to play it safe when it comes to choosing a browser, and have absolutely nothing to say to anyone who'll prefer Flock. The only real reason I was interested in it was that I was looking for an alternative to Ubuntu's build of FF 1.07, and Flock it ran nicely in its tidy folder in /opt, requiring nothing more than an untar command to set up, without interfering with anything else whereas I was having problems with Firefox 1.5b2 not registering itself as the default version, extensions resetting themselves (compatible ones), graphics getting garbled when autoscrolling etc. Now that those problems are gone, I have no real interest.

Sorry for the one-liner; I should have been clearer.

JimmyJazz
October 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM
its faster and automatic plugin (flash as least) installation works perfectly (and super fast) something that never happened in firefox, I don't know who these people are but damn they are good.

Luke Redpath
October 27th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Its only faster than the Firefox bundled with Ubuntu because its based on Firefox 1.5, which if you download the beta or RC, you will see is faster as well.

I think Flock is fairly pointless, and nothing more than a fancy skin and a few extension like features.

jnoreiko
October 27th, 2005, 05:09 PM
it would seem that startup time and page load time are much faster than firefox, which makes little sense as this is a developer preview, based on Firefox.

Do you mean "a little sense" (a small amount) or "little sense" (none at all)?
(I'm not complaining or criticising, just curious! :) )

ubuntuguide.org floors Firefox completely, and Flock doesn't do much better.
Gecko is really bad with long pages. even once it's fully loaded I can't scroll in it.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of market share this gets.
There's a lot of IE users out there who see no reason to switch, other than their geek friends telling them they ought to.
flock's blogging and bookmarking features could convince them.

23meg
October 27th, 2005, 09:38 PM
There's a lot of IE users out there who see no reason to switch, other than their geek friends telling them they ought to.
flock's blogging and bookmarking features could convince them.

That's correct, that will definitely happen. "Killer apps" in such niches always do good for open source.

MakubeX
October 29th, 2005, 01:02 AM
its faster and automatic plugin (flash as least) installation works perfectly (and super fast) something that never happened in firefox, I don't know who these people are but damn they are good.

Really? In my experience, when it loads some site with flash, it slows down as compared to Opera. For me, Flock = Firefox+Opera hybrid.

bdash
November 4th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Flock has nothing to do with Opera. It's precisely Firefox+some improvements.

ThirdWorld
November 9th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Im playing Nostradamus... im predicting today without fear to be wrong that as soon as flock is available to download Apple and Microsoft will copy it, clone it and release it to their user bases, and they will make it look like they invented the idea. similar to safari which is based on mozzila apple will claim its now part of their "digital lifestyle", windows will said its a new service integral part of myspaces, IE and msn accounts. :D

Good Lords!!....:rolleyes:

Flock Browser Promotes Creativity
By Anick Jesdanun

"I find Flock does succeed in taking Web browsing to a whole new level.

With Flock, traditional bookmarks, also known as favorites, are out the window. Instead, you "star" a page, and by doing so, you can automatically send the link to an online account you create at shared-bookmarking service Del.icio.us.

That means, in theory, you can easily access your favorite sites from any computer, not just the one where all your bookmarks are stored. (In practice, because it's still in preview, the synchronization is far from perfect).

Plus, you can discover new sites and help others do so. Del.icio.us lets you see which other members have the same sites listed in their collections. From there, you can see what other sites they frequent.

The thinking is that if two people have the same bookmarks they are likely to have similar interests and would want to discover similar sites.

Flock also gives you a way to easily tag the online bookmarks to help with sorting and discovery. Instead of placing a link for a site on "Lost" in an arbitrary folder, you can tag it "television," "Lost," and even "ABC."

You can use Flock's "favorites" manager to see only links carrying a certain tag, or you can search through other people's Del.icio.us collections by tag.

Flock also has a number of features meant to help people post to their Web journals, or blogs. A built-in word processor lets you submit entries directly to some of the leading blog services, including Six Apart Ltd.'s TypePad and Google's (Nasdaq: GOOG) Latest News about Google Blogger."

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/PKuHeNeqhRLqqA/Flock-Browser-Promotes-Creativity.xhtml

basketcase
November 9th, 2005, 07:37 PM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=79872

kvidell
November 9th, 2005, 08:13 PM
*Builds the CVS and checkinstalls*
This'll be fun. Very slow build though.
- Kev

etc
November 9th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Buzzwords.

Sirin
February 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM
But Flock's RSS manager kills Firefox's RSS bookmarking feature. :D

hizaguchi
April 29th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Wow. I stumbled across it yesterday and thought it was just Firefox preinstalled with a few extensions. Turns out it's got enough nice features of its own to make it my new browser of choice. The feed aggregator is especially nice. It's like the love child of Akregator and Firefox, but with added aesthietic appeal.

hizaguchi
April 30th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Woah, I'd never realized that my gmail box had an RSS feed. Now I can aggregate my emails right into the stream of other feeds I'm reading. Handy!

DigitalDuality
April 30th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Wow... i'm impressed with both it's speed and functionality.

I do want to find a way to duplicate my bookmark bar from Firefox though and i'm having a problem getting 2 plugins installed. Apparently there's a list of plugins that you can download for Flock. Problem is.. i can't find a way to install these xpi files that now sit on my desktop.

Anyone has any idea? B/c i plan on sticking with this browser over FF. (unless i find too many annoyances)

Edit: nm i figured it out.

Kernel Sanders
April 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Flock looks cool and all, it just doesnt feel right........ Its much much quicker than firefox 1.5.0.2, and it doesnt seem to have a few bugs that firefox has (one webiste that I and others have problems logging in with firefox, works flawlessly in flock)

I cant quite put my finger on whats putting me off it..... ](*,)

DigitalDuality
April 30th, 2006, 09:48 PM
The only thing that puts me off is the bookmarking toolbar.. :\ Also bookmarking organization itself sucks. I have about 400-500 bookmarks for FF neatly organized in folders that i place on my bookmark toolbar that allows them to act as drop down menus. Makes life super easy... i dunno.

I just did all the typical tweaks i do to FF to make that run faster.. and.. they all worked well with Flock as well. In fact, Flock is running faster than Opera.

Super King
May 1st, 2006, 02:00 AM
Giving Flock a try now. Not much to say as it's mostly a skinned FF 1.5 with a bunch of stuff I won't use. Obviously still buggy at this point (CTRL-F Find doesn't work, Customizing toolbars is broken in some spots), but it's alright.

papangul
May 1st, 2006, 03:44 AM
In future "some features" of flock will be proprietery and will be released under commercial license.

Will Flock be open source? How will you license your code?
Yes, Flock will be open source. We may incorporate some proprietary technologies into our browser and releases some features under a commercial license, but all of our initial code, and the vast majority of our code going forward, will be open source. In fact, we’re just days away from releasing the source code to everything we’ve developed so far.

TrailerTrash
May 1st, 2006, 04:47 AM
WOW thanks for the post...I like it. It works better than Firefox. :-k

DigitalDuality
May 1st, 2006, 05:10 AM
Giving Flock a try now. Not much to say as it's mostly a skinned FF 1.5 with a bunch of stuff I won't use. Obviously still buggy at this point (CTRL-F Find doesn't work, Customizing toolbars is broken in some spots), but it's alright.

Ctrl + F works just fine for me... and where is it buggy in the toolbar? I've been using this exclusively since 10am today and haven't found one single bug.

Now i've seen where i didn't know how to use a certain feature and figured it out...but no bugs.

Kernel Sanders
May 2nd, 2006, 01:05 AM
Ctrl + F works just fine for me... and where is it buggy in the toolbar? I've been using this exclusively since 10am today and haven't found one single bug.

Now i've seen where i didn't know how to use a certain feature and figured it out...but no bugs.

Move the "stop/reload" button back into the toolbar customise window, and what do you see....... :p :p :p

Super King
May 3rd, 2006, 01:39 PM

The bar at the bottom comes up when hitting CTRL-F and it highlights what you're looking for, but my Find Next and Find Previous buttons don't work (they don't skip to the next instance of your search string). So it's pretty broken.

When you're customizing the toolbar there are some weird bugs I've encountered. For instance, when you're dragging icons from the Customize window onto a toolbar, it won't let you drag anything to the farthest left place on the bar. I wanted to add the New Tab button left of the back/forward stop, etc, and I could not just immediately drag it; I had to remove the back/forward stop etc. buttons, add the New Tab button, and then put the other buttons back where they were. Flock was also flaky when trying to add items to the top bar (with File, Edit...).

YourSurrogateGod
June 15th, 2006, 03:36 AM
http://slashdot.org/articles/06/06/14/184232.shtml

Anyone heard of it?

IYY
June 15th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Yes. It was on Slashdot today, just like that other article you posted. ;)

It looks fairly cool, but it's really not much more than Firefox with a few extentions. Still a good idea.

BWF89
June 15th, 2006, 04:10 AM
When did Slashdot change the it's apperance?

YourSurrogateGod
June 15th, 2006, 04:19 AM
When did Slashdot change the it's apperance?
A long time ago. 2 weeks atleast.

RAV TUX
June 15th, 2006, 04:22 AM
http://slashdot.org/articles/06/06/14/184232.shtml

Anyone heard of it?

Yes.

Firefox is better, but give it a try it's basically just Firefox. Any of the new things are already available through the Firefox extensions

basketcase
June 15th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Been playing with it since it was a closed Beta....It has it's perks, but a question I asked in the beginning, why not just contribute to Firefox.

All depends on what you're looking for in a browser. I haven't opened it since they had an issue that just erked me...don't know if it is fixed.

gamma
June 15th, 2006, 06:22 AM
I've been using flock for a day now and I like the look to it. It is just Firefox with extensions though, and it doesn't seem they're using GTK either. I hate things that don't match my current color themes :P.

Can someone point me to a link to a firefox extension that looks like their news reader? They have a very clean and powerful interface..

RavenOfOdin
June 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM
I'm not even going to go near the implications of a web browser named "Flock" . . .

The name for its soon-to-be-released email client companion would probably be bleeped out by any forum script. :p

Toxicity999
June 19th, 2006, 05:46 AM
I was using it way back in the Developer Alpha before I came to Ubuntu, Great browser, fetching this beta now. I had forgotten all about it!

They could call the Email client Cluster Flock ;)

TrailerTrash
June 19th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Ahhh..Just FLOCK it!

Ive used it for a week or so.....It feels like ole Firefox to me. I tend to use Seamonkey the most.

rcarring
June 24th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Availability: now
Version: 0.70 Beta (will upgrade to 0.71 after installation and auto-update)
Looks Like: Mozilla with a clean interface
Stability: Has not crashed since installation
Where: http://www.flock.com

Support Forums: Yes

This is a new browser that I have been trying out, their emphasis is on community awareness and therefore they have support for blogs and photo galleries.

I would be interested if anyone else has tried out this application...

Works under: Edgy Alpha Xubuntu, Dapper Xubuntu

DJ_Max
June 24th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I've been using Flock on OS X since 0.4. I find that it's faster and uses less resources than firefox, yet is still based on firefox.

I have yet to try to compile it on LinuxPPC.

dabear
June 24th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Flock is my favourite browser alngside with konqueror! And almost all firefox extensions is available for it.

jvictor
June 24th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Heard that it has 64 bit flash support ? is it true ?

jvictor
June 24th, 2006, 03:26 PM
This is the link that talks of 64 bit machine running flash ..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=88238&page=2&highlight=flock+64+bit

jvictor
June 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Great !! Flash sites work on a 64 bit machine with flock.. its a 32 bit browser but we neednt chroot etc etc ..it just works out of the box ! this is what I love abt Linux :)

Kernel Sanders
June 24th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Its as buggy as hell, and bookmarks are poorly organised.

The Beta is also slower than tha alpha? :confused:

My opinion? Firefox>>>>>Flock

RAV TUX
June 24th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Availability: now
Version: 0.70 Beta (will upgrade to 0.71 after installation and auto-update)
Looks Like: Mozilla with a clean interface
Stability: Has not crashed since installation
Where: http://www.flock.com

Support Forums: Yes

This is a new browser that I have been trying out, their emphasis is on community awareness and therefore they have support for blogs and photo galleries.

I would be interested if anyone else has tried out this application...

Works under: Edgy Alpha Xubuntu, Dapper Xubuntu

I used flock last year when it was pre-beta and helped out with the developer release. I dropped flock all together as internal politics bogged down developement. Beyond that with Developement of advanced Firefox extensions it made any new developement by flock obsolete.

Then with the vast improvements by Firefox overall I began to wonder why do I need two Firefox browsers

1. The real Firefox browser that gives me complete freedom to customize myself with knock-your-socks off awesome extensions and I can choose any theme I want.

2. or Firefox renamed and given a flock skin pre-loaded with bloated extensions that I neither want or if given the choice would choose to have. The choice is a no-brainer.

I uninstalled flock in January and haven't missed it at all.

remember that flock is just Firefox with a flock theme and preloaded extensions that form bloat.

I primarily use two browsers Firefox and Opera, I also like the Galleon Web Browser.

I found flock useless.

%hMa@?b<C
June 24th, 2006, 05:01 PM
firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.flock.com.

Kernel Sanders
June 24th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I used flock last year when it was pre-beta and helped out with the developer release. I dropped flock all together as internal politics bogged down developement. Beyond that with Developement of advanced Firefox extensions it made any new developement by flock obsolete.

Then with the vast improvements by Firefox overall I began to wonder why do I need two Firefox browsers

1. The real Firefox browser that gives me complete freedom to customize myself with knock-your-socks off awesome extensions and I can choose any theme I want.

2. or Firefox renamed and given a flock skin pre-loaded with bloated extensions that I neither want or if given the choice would choose to have. The choice is a no-brainer.

I uninstalled flock in January and haven't missed it at all.

remember that flock is just Firefox with a flock theme and preloaded extensions that form bloat.

I primarily use two browsers Firefox and Opera, I also like the Galleon Web Browser.

I found flock useless.

What was the "internal politics" you speak of? :-k

John :)

rcarring
June 24th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I think, having done more research, that Flock is aimed more at beginners. I don't doubt that Firefox has many extensions and cool features, but at present my preferred browser is SeaMonkey followed by Flock/Epiphany. I will only use Firefox if I have to (e.g. in place of Konq on PC-BSD).

Ultimately:

Mozilla
Firefox
SeaMonkey
Flock

are all based around Gecko and Netscape.

I find it amusing that Netscape was a lot better at browsing in the early days of the WWW (circa 1996) and now, well the latest version 8.1 is aimed at Windows XP users and is now stuffed full of security hand holding crap that I neither care for or need.

RAV TUX
June 24th, 2006, 05:35 PM
What was the "internal politics" you speak of? :-k

John it had to do with developers who were helping with porting of extensions and these or should I say one developer who would fly into a rage take down his whole site in the middle of the development process and attack other developers in the forums.

This person was not official flock but caused a bit of trouble internally with where the official flock developers stood and the resulting action taken and how this was presented to the flock community as a whole.

It just left a bad taste of unprofessionalism and I felt it hampered the overall time frame of the beta release.

This kind of drama I felt was not needed in a browser developement but to be fair this sort of thing may happen often.

One question for anybody currently using flock: Can you use any Firefox theme with flock?

RAV TUX
June 24th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I think, having done more research, that Flock is aimed more at beginners. I don't doubt that Firefox has many extensions and cool features, but at present my preferred browser is SeaMonkey followed by Flock/Epiphany. I will only use Firefox if I have to (e.g. in place of Konq on PC-BSD).

Ultimately:

Mozilla
Firefox
SeaMonkey
Flock

are all based around Gecko and Netscape.

I find it amusing that Netscape was a lot better at browsing in the early days of the WWW (circa 1996) and now, well the latest version 8.1 is aimed at Windows XP users and is now stuffed full of security hand holding crap that I neither care for or need.
I agree it is ashame about the whole netscape direction, the new version is note worthy but it is bloated beyond repair.

Galleon and Epiphany are both great.

Opera 9 although not open source is a serious contender and I somehow wish they would work in coordination with Firefox.

I use both Firefox and Opera primarily on both my Ubuntu and XPsp2 computers.

rcarring I agree Seamonkey is pretty awesome, lets hope the Seamonkey Council keep it going in the right direction.

Kernel Sanders
June 24th, 2006, 05:41 PM
John it had to do with developers who were helping with porting of extensions and these or should I say one developer who would fly into a rage take down his whole site in the middle of the development process and attack other developers in the forums.

This person was not official flock but caused a bit of trouble internally with where the official flock developers stood and the resulting action taken and how this was presented to the flock community as a whole.

It just left a bad taste of unprofessionalism and I felt it hampered the overall time frame of the beta release.

This kind of drama I felt was not needed in a browser developement but to be far this sort of thing may happen often.

One question for anybody currently using flock: Can you use any Firefox theme with flock?

Oh dear......

Cheers for the info yozef! *Thumbs Up*

testube_babies
July 12th, 2006, 12:23 AM
The best part about Flock is definitely the theme, which can be obtained quite easily for Firefox:
http://area51.linux360.ro/firefox/firefox-flock-theme

mech7
July 12th, 2006, 12:38 AM
yeah tried it before theme is great indeed gonna install on firefox now :p

flaak_monkey
August 14th, 2006, 10:21 PM
A new web browser i "Stumbled" (an extension for FF/SF/Camino) upon.

http://www.flock.com/

pretty cool for what its purpose is.

gruvsyco
August 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I love Flock and contrary to a lot of popular opinion, it isn't just Firefox with some bundled extensions. The added features are very tightly integrated into the overall functionality of the browser. I didn't even use most of the services it supports until I started using the browser, now I find them essential to my web experience. I love the Flock theme too, I actually have it on Firefox as well.

Kernel Sanders
August 14th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Bloatware. Useless features.

mostwanted
August 14th, 2006, 11:36 PM
You can try out Flock without installing it:

http://flock.klik.atekon.de/

jISh
August 15th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Bloatware. Useless features.
Agreed.

RAV TUX
August 15th, 2006, 02:38 AM
These 3 flock threads merged here:

1. 88072 (Flock)
2. 196884 (Flock, the Web 2.0 Browser?)
3. 236396 (Flock)

flaak_monkey
August 15th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Flocking eh. :)

rekahsoft
August 15th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I am very impressed!! I am having problems configuring my Blogger acounts though but i am sure it is just temporary :)

YourSurrogateGod
August 15th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Flocking eh. :)

Oh flock you :p .

Zelut
August 27th, 2006, 09:11 PM
There have been some posts on the Flock Blog about issues with the Blogger API right now. Might be able to find some more info there.

I've also put together a quick & dirty 5-step tutorial for installing Flock on Ubuntu (http://christer.homeip.net/index.php/2006/08/26/flock-on-ubuntu/). Hopefully Edgy includes a Flock .deb.

DJiNN
September 2nd, 2006, 12:40 PM
There have been some posts on the Flock Blog about issues with the Blogger API right now. Might be able to find some more info there.

I've also put together a quick & dirty 5-step tutorial for installing Flock on Ubuntu (http://christer.homeip.net/index.php/2006/08/26/flock-on-ubuntu/). Hopefully Edgy includes a Flock .deb.

Hey, thanks for the tutorial on Flock..... works fine!! :) Tried it about 6-8 months ago but it kept crashing..... certainly seems a lot more stable now, although the Blogger problem seems to be there.... But hey, no worries.

Just wanted to say Thanks.... i'm off now to play around with Flock!.... It rocks! :)

mrgnash
September 2nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Personally, I'm not into most of its specialized features -- I prefer to build things for myself than use sites like Flickr or Blogger. However, that doesn't diminish its aesthetic appeal or the welcome increase in speed over Firefox. It seems to work ok with the Flash and mozilla-mplayer plugins, so I might just stick with this for awhile :) Thanks for the heads-up.

rebegin
September 7th, 2006, 12:29 AM
it's a cool browser, i use (and like) it a lot though i have a problem with it about sound...it cannot play music/noise while i'm listening music with xmms or amarok.
does anybody know how to fix that?
cheers

RAV TUX
September 7th, 2006, 04:45 AM
this flock thread merged here:

(Flock Web Browser)

atrus123
September 7th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I just installed it, and it looks nice. I also have a feeling that I'm going to enjoy the features.

However, I think it's suffering from some issues; after having used it for about ten minutes, XGL started to slow down and my processor maxed out. Once I closed it, those issues went away.

I guess I'll wait for the next version..

calvinthomas
September 7th, 2006, 10:03 PM
This in my opinion is the best browser at the moment for me at least, i'm not a blogger really but I set one up because this makes it just rediculously easy to keep it updated and stuff. Right Click, Blog This, Publish, Done!

I'm not looking for a flashy blog with millions of visitors, just something for friends and family to see whats going on and to store things I see about that they might like also (saves sending the same message multiple times when i'm away!)

The blog is not my favourite features, these are:

1) RSS Feeds are handled much better in my opinion, they just work better! The descriptions are better I like the seperate panel etc (Ok I know extensions in firefox!)

2) The photobar, not really useful for me but I like it a lot

3) Drag and drop text or pictures to the bottom of the screen and it stores it, much better than opening a text editor and its integrated beautifully

4) Add to that most firefox extensions work (So far I have mouse gestures, Diigo (my favourite) and Adblock

5) The theme is intuitive and nice

Its also about the speed of Firefox 2 beta 2 for me which is decent, also its still in beta so we can hope for continued improvements!

Calv