PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pausing/Cancelling Upgrade to Hardy Heron

skinny
May 18th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hello all,

I've (finally) started the upgrade to Hardy Heron from Gutsy, and I'm about midway through the "Getting new packages" phase, however it is taking longer than I remember it previously taking and would ideally like to pause it, or cancel it if I can't pause it.

Will there be any problems if I press the Cancel button on the Distribution Upgrade window? I'm not planning on shutting down the computer before continuing the upgrade, I just need to stop it downloading for the next few hours, and then continue the upgrade later.

Your thoughts?

cheers cheers

overdrank
May 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Hello all,

I've (finally) started the upgrade to Hardy Heron from Gutsy, and I'm about midway through the "Getting new packages" phase, however it is taking longer than I remember it previously taking and would ideally like to pause it, or cancel it if I can't pause it.

Will there be any problems if I press the Cancel button on the Distribution Upgrade window? I'm not planning on shutting down the computer before continuing the upgrade, I just need to stop it downloading for the next few hours, and then continue the upgrade later.

Your thoughts?

cheers cheers

Hi and yes it will cause issues that may be serious. In the upgrade it is highly recommended that you not interrupt.

skinny
May 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
overdrank, thanks for your response.

However, a short while after posting here I visited #ubuntu on freenode and was informed by rigolo and _sammy_ that it should be fine.

Like yourself, I would not recommend interrupting the upgrade, however I feel confident enough from the advice received that it should be fine so long as I complete the upgrade before shutdown. I assumed this to be the case, and I think if it stumbles upon fetching the packages on resuming it may possibly require a rollback on the sources.list and a sudo apt-get clean. I guess I'll find out!

cheers cheers

Pumalite
May 18th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Good luck!