PDA

View Full Version : New Ubuntu Advocacy Forums

marketing_ubuntu
October 21st, 2005, 05:40 AM
With the prior blessing of admin here - I'd like to welcome you all to the new MarketingTeam forums - all about advocacy of Ubuntu locally and globally:

http://www.ubuntupeople.com/file/forums/

_Everyone_ is welcome - we'd be delighted for you to join our 'open' team first - simply by editing the wiki a putting your name / email on it: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam

Thanks for everyone's support - we're on the way to bring the freedom we all enjoy to the table as an option for everyone - out there and to attempt to patch Bug#1. Even if you don't want to get involved in a major way - we'd love you to join us - even if it's just to teach _us_ about your experience with users new to Ubuntu ;)

Note: This forum is not covered here, as ubuntuforums.org is primarily a support site and this is not within their scope - we still think they're great! (lol - they'd be really great if we got a sticky..*chuckle*) This all started with this thread (for a bit of background): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=73132 and now it's gone nuts ;)

marketing_ubuntu
October 22nd, 2005, 01:38 AM
Can the no way voter on the poll let me know why? Or does anyone else understand why some might resist the spread of Ubuntu?

*intrigued*

:)

Stormy Eyes
October 22nd, 2005, 03:04 AM
Can the no way voter on the poll let me know why? Or does anyone else understand why some might resist the spread of Ubuntu?

I voted "I don't care". I didn't need anybody to "market" Ubuntu to me. I heard the name, heard it was a Linux distro, checked it out, and decided to try it.

What is there to resist, anyway? If somebody wants Ubuntu, all they have to do is either ask for a CD, or download an ISO image, burn it to disk, and install it. Frankly, I don't see the point of marketing Ubuntu. As far as I'm concerned, marketing involves persuading people who don't want your product to get it anyway.

And don't tell me about "Bug #1". Microsoft does not matter.

xmastree
October 22nd, 2005, 04:23 AM
Do you think we should share Ubuntu with the (rest of the) world?I don't understand the question. :confused:
Who's the we in the question?
We, the forum members are all over the world already. Anyone can get it, it's free for anyone in the world. Isn't that sharing?

Malphas
October 22nd, 2005, 04:59 AM
People exist out there who would be better off using Ubuntu than their current OS (some variant of Windows) who simply don't know enough about GNU/Linux or Ubuntu to make the switch themselves. Encouraging and aiding these people in switching over to Ubuntu is definitely a good thing - for everyone.

aysiu
October 22nd, 2005, 05:05 AM
If somebody wants Ubuntu, all they have to do is either ask for a CD, or download an ISO image, burn it to disk, and install it. Frankly, I don't see the point of marketing Ubuntu. As far as I'm concerned, marketing involves persuading people who don't want your product to get it anyway. Maybe as far as you're concerned, Stormy, but your first if is a big if. Most people have never even heard of Ubuntu, so how could they possibly want it? It's true that, depending on the marketing campaign, "marketing" usually persuades you to use something you already know of the existence of but don't want, but marketing for Ubuntu would be more about letting people know about another (previously unknown) option.

matthew
October 22nd, 2005, 05:55 AM
I talk about it with my friends/family if they are interested. Honestly, the choice of OS becomes an issue that most people really don't want to discuss...it's like bringing up religion or politics. Unless someone is genuinely interested I don't care to try to convince them.

On the other hand, if you want to just let people know Ubuntu exists without doing the typical marketing "let's shove this down everyone's throats and make them feel impotent and insecure without our product" that would be okay. In that sense I could agree with ayisu.

Honestly, I ignore most commercial advertisements...unless they are either really funny or genuinely informative without all the FUD and stuff attached I simple choose to opt out. I absolutely hate it when an advertisement insults my intelligence by suggesting I talk to my doctor because I may need the latest drug or that I run, don't walk to my local automobile dealer because this weekend and this weekend only they are giving the best deals of the year. Bah!

Bottom line: I voted "I don't care" and I would lean more toward StormyEyes' position...no one marketed Ubuntu to me and I still found it, liked it, and am using it on 4 different computers now. I'm okay with the "let's help those searching to know we exist" but beyond that marketing generally irritates me more than draws me. I think the Ubuntu web sites that exist now do a great job of presenting the philosophy and the technical merits of the distro. Current coverage on DistroWatch as well as every tech-related magazine and web site is fabulous. Really, what's to market??

Oh, and I always think of Herb from WKRP in Cincinnati when I think of marketing/sales types. Fake personality, bad plaid suit, annoying conversation.

aysiu
October 22nd, 2005, 06:13 AM
There are three separate issues at play here:

1. Awareness of Ubuntu
2. Ubuntu's public relations
3. Convincing users to use it
4. Microsoft's dominance of the pre-installed desktop marketplace (Stormy Eyes may not care about this, but Mark Shuttleworth certainly does).

I think most people would agree with #1 being worthy of pursuit.

#2 may have less of a need. The only bad "press" I hear about Ubuntu is right here on the Ubuntu forums from various trolls. In fact, if anything, the mainstream press overhypes Ubuntu. It's a great distro, but it's not that great. The community is mostly what makes it great, but the media rarely mentions the Ubuntu community.

#3 seems to be the main point of contention and also the connotation that goes most with the term marketing. Some people will want to "market" Ubuntu. Others just want to make people aware of Ubuntu's existence. The two are linked, but they are not the same.

#4... well, if you care, you care. If not, you don't.

jnoreiko
October 22nd, 2005, 09:01 AM
I talk about it with my friends/family if they are interested. Honestly, the choice of OS becomes an issue that most people really don't want to discuss...it's like bringing up religion or politics. Unless someone is genuinely interested I don't care to try to convince them.

Most windows users I know don't even know what an OS is.

Sirin
October 22nd, 2005, 09:33 AM
Most windows users I know don't even know what an OS is. Damn Straight. 100% of the time I've never been asked "Which OS do you use on this computer?", but instead, "Which type of Windows do you have on here?". Heck, the only OSes that the common user knows are Windows '95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Macintosh (The common user doesn't define Macs into different versions, as since they don't use it as much as Windows, it's just plain "Macintosh" (Which they're usually referring to Mac OS 9)). There is no ME, no NT, no Linux, no Solaris, just "Windows". When I tried to tell a friend about Linux, he replied, "Oh, what's Linux?". I told him it's a great, stable, and reliable OS. Again, he replied, "What's an OS?". I then asked him if he knew Windows. Then came from him an obvious "Of course, everyone's heard about Windows, I have XP."

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2005, 10:00 AM
I voted no. Why ? Simple.

The Marketing that I have seen to date in the Linux World originating from this style of set up is counter productive.

First rule of sales/marketing ...Do not knock the opposition. The "bug#1" thing is a classic example of that rule being broken.
You promote not by knocking the opposition but by selling the features and benefits of your product.

Badly conceived and executed Marketing plans destroy good products. The risk is too high to formulate a marketing plan on a forum.

kassetra
October 22nd, 2005, 10:33 AM
Or does anyone else understand why some might resist the spread of Ubuntu?

Ha. The first thing I thought of when reading this is that you made it sound like Ubuntu was a disease. Ok, I'm over it now.

I can very easily understand why someone would mark "I don't care."
Here is my personal take on the topic - your mileage may vary, drastically:

The tendency for consumers is to skip, avoid, block, or in any other way ignore anything that looks, smells, or tastes like an advertisement.

Most people have a limited amount of "mind share" to devote on much of anything, let alone something as foreign as an "Operating System" for their computer. Tying in directly with this is that the generic consumer has had roughly two decades of being spoon-fed the idea that a computer is Windows.

In order for a person to use Ubuntu (or any outside Operating System) successfully - they must first shatter the carefully-crafted Microsoft Windows facade. This is a somewhat personal process unique to an individual at this point in the game - and creating yet another "advertisement" for someone to ignore will not spur this process to happen - even if you successfully planted the words Ubuntu and Computer into 90% of the people you were trying to reach.

The "resistance" you are hearing from the community toward "spreading Ubuntu" is not an accurate description. In my case, I will share Ubuntu if I am asked. Sometimes, I will share Ubuntu if I am not asked, but see where it could be valuable. I am not against the sharing or telling about Ubuntu to people, in fact, I do it as often as common sense will allow.

The apathy that I personally feel toward current marketing processes, whether for Ubuntu or any other OS/Computer related product is this: the core problem isn't that people haven't heard about Ubuntu/Linux/etc. or that they are not given choices when it comes to what is pre-installed on their hardware (both are a given) - is that before either type of marketing will make any mass-consumer headway, resources must be spent in order to show people why they should give a damn in the first place.

(Apple is now a text book example: they are spending billions to make themselves into a fashion company - that is their key to making people care.)

Do I care about my lack of freedoms when it comes to what OS I choose? Sure do. Do I care about being able to have many eyeballs peering over code on all systems? You betcha. How I got here from where I was, however, did not come from any marketing technique used to date.

gabhla
October 22nd, 2005, 12:34 PM
You Betcha. Go for it.

That said, the "product" speaks for itself. I wasn't lured to try Ubuntu. Like the rest of us, I stumbled into it, more out of curosity - and was hooked. There will be others to follow.

Stormy Eyes
October 22nd, 2005, 05:00 PM
Maybe as far as you're concerned, Stormy, but your first if is a big if. Most people have never even heard of Ubuntu, so how could they possibly want it?

Most people have never even heard of Linux, let alone Ubuntu. When I talk about Linux, it's usually in the context of somebody snarling about yet another problem with Windows. I tell them that I don't use Windows. They ask me if I use a Mac. I say no, and tell them what I do use. Then I ask them if they want to know more. If they do, I tell them about Linux and about Ubuntu. If they seem interested, I offer to burn a LiveCD for them to try out. I don't try to persuade people who aren't interested.

Perhaps Marketing_Ubuntu would benefit from reading the Advocacy HOWTO (http://www.datasync.com/~rogerspl/Advocacy-HOWTO.html).

aysiu
October 22nd, 2005, 06:19 PM
You seem to think there are only two approaches--wait until they ask you or bombard them with marketing and shove it down their throats. There's something else in between called letting them know Linux/Ubuntu exists without telling them they have to use it.

macgyver2
October 22nd, 2005, 06:41 PM
Some thoughts...

I also found Ubuntu on my own and tried it on my own and stayed with it on my own. However, prior to Ubuntu I had been using Linux for about six years. I frequented the types of sites where one hears about new distributions. More people out there don't. Even if some of those people have heard about Linux and want to learn more, when they read the reviews they find they don't understand half of what's being said. I think there's still work to do on this front.

I disagree with the statement made above that "marketing involves persuading people who don't want your product to get it anyway." As has been said, what about those who are undecided? They may not know if they want the product or not. They may not have all the information or the information they have may not be in a format or be expressed in a way that's helpful to them.

In addition, there are more target groups than just individual, private citizens. Introducing a business or a school system or a government to Ubuntu may require different tactics than introducing an individual to Ubuntu. Thinking specifically about Edubuntu and the school system I came out of...the IT people there would probably need something more than someone just dropping off a CD and a list of websites to read. Professional-looking flyers, talking points, a demonstration...I see those things as being quite helpful were I to go talk to the IT people. I could probably put that stuff together myself, but I think it would be far better to have an organized effort backing me up. I know there are people who would be better at putting together the literature than I would be. And brainstorming talking points or the most effective presentation or demonstration with a group would be very good, in my opinion.

Goober
October 22nd, 2005, 06:45 PM
I voted Yes, but I am assuming that by "share", you mean "inform". Thanks to Shipit, and the ISO images, we do share Ubuntu already with all those who know about it and want it. We need to inform people that Ubuntu is a free alternative to Windows, but not shove it down their throats.

Just my CAD0.02

marketing_ubuntu
October 22nd, 2005, 07:25 PM
I voted Yes, but I am assuming that by "share", you mean "inform".

Most certainly. Is the problem really the perception of what marketing can be at its worst? Or is it that people really don't want open source in the high street? I find that hard to understand.

It is my understanding that without some structure to inform the public of what is available, they cannot make a choice and the reach of the 'just get it if you want it' approach must surely be limited.

Hey, I don't know it all - I'm just amazed even that some people don't care. I thought that's why we were here - because we cared about community and that we're always open. If you don't tell people about something - that's technically secret, right?

*incoming bombardment! * lol

Perhaps Marketing_Ubuntu would benefit from reading the Advocacy HOWTO (http://www.datasync.com/~rogerspl/Advocacy-HOWTO.html).

Thanks - good stuff. erm, i'll just highlight a few points you may have missed:

"Share your personal experiences"
"Offer to help someone start using Linux. Follow up to make sure that they are able to use their system effectively"
"Always consider the viewpoints of the person to whom you are ``selling'' Linux."
"Participate!"
"Try to respond to one ``newbie'' posting each week." < Well, you did that this week, lol ;)

jnoreiko
October 22nd, 2005, 07:33 PM
"Try to respond to one ``newbie'' posting each week."

backticks are not quotation marks and look evil and scary to newbies ;)

marketing_ubuntu
October 22nd, 2005, 07:37 PM
lol, thanks for the advice - they came quoted out of the HowTo just like that. ;)

BWF89
October 22nd, 2005, 08:13 PM
The way I heard of Linux was. When I was in 9th grade I took a programming class in Visual Basic. I was walking across to put my VB book back on the shelf and some kid in my class had this cool looking penguin holding the rocket launcher from Quake with the anti-Windows symbol on it.

I asked him what that penguin guy was called and he said he was named "Tux".

When I got home later that day I did an image search for the word "Tux Wallpaper" on Google and my interest in Linux just went off from there.

I don't know much about how other people respond to ads but for me the best way to market Linux is to put Tux the penguin on your website with the text "Powered by Linux".

sophtpaw
October 22nd, 2005, 08:36 PM

*intrigued*

:)

I voted 'NO WAY'
I wanna keep a good thing to myself. Lets All not tell anyone! no-one! Lets keep Ubuntu a real good secret to ourselves. If people ask what os you're using, skirt the issue or say you have to go to the bathroom real quick or anything to avoid and/or change the issue.

--
sophtpaw

Omnios
October 22nd, 2005, 08:53 PM
Original I was going to try Fedora and was talking to some Linux people on a browser web forum in community chat for a win Browser. As I was new to Linux they recommended Ubuntu for a first time distro. Anyways I'm glad they did as I had a good experience and really do not want to try another distro at this time. Getting the word out is a good thing.

Two good things.

1 - Explain Ubuntu and Kubuntu
2 - Explain the Ubuntu forum for without it I may have quit a long time ago.

Stormy Eyes
October 22nd, 2005, 10:17 PM
I thought that's why we were here - because we cared about community and that we're always open. If you don't tell people about something - that's technically secret, right?

I have my own reasons for being here that I deem more important than some notion of community. As for telling people about Linux: I don't go telling people about Ayn Rand, either, unless they see me reading The Fountainhead and start asking questions. I'm of the opinion that evangelism of any sort, whether one is seeking converts to religion or to Linux, is rude.

Stormy Eyes
October 22nd, 2005, 10:18 PM
There's something else in between called letting them know Linux/Ubuntu exists without telling them they have to use it.

There's also something called context. If the context of the conversation has nothing to do with operating systems or computers, then why mention Linux at all? If the subject comes up, I'll put on my advocate hat. Otherwise, I damn well keep my mouth shut.

fredricsolstad
October 22nd, 2005, 10:58 PM
I think that this discussion can go on forever...

Here is an idea.. Let us who want to help "market" Ubuntu do so, those of you who don't.. don't.. We need not to have argues amongst ourselfs as users about something like this, it's almost as arguing about whos dad is the best.

I'm trying to do what I can to market Ubuntu, I do not however flame or anything like that on those who don't, nor do I think that anyone would like to flame or anything like that against me for doing so. No good can come out of a discussion like this.

If you want to keep it to yourself that you are using Ubuntu, feel free to do so. If you want to spread the word, feel free to do so aswell.

Instead of filling the threads with arguments like the ones I mentioned above, let's fill them with thoughts on how we, who want to, can spread it. If you don't want to participate, leave it at that.

That's my SEK 0.02

aysiu
October 22nd, 2005, 11:15 PM
As for telling people about Linux: I don't go telling people about Ayn Rand, either, unless they see me reading The Fountainhead and start asking questions. I'm of the opinion that evangelism of any sort, whether one is seeking converts to religion or to Linux, is rude. And I know a lot more people who already know about Ayn Rand (no matter what they think about her) than know anything about Linux.

Even your bringing up evangelism misses my point completely--you can tell someone of the existence of something without pushing it on her. If someone brings up Ayn Rand out of the blue, I'll think it's unwarranted because I already know about Ayn Rand, so it couldn't be possibly for just letting me know she exists. If I bring up Linux, however, I doubt most people (even the college-educated) would know what I'm talking about.

We're talking about different degrees here:
1. Apathy - I couldn't care less whether people use Ubuntu or not
2. Passive "Evangelism" - If people ask me about it, I'll tell them.
3. Desire for Exposure - I just want to let people know Linux is an option, but I won't push it on them. I'll respect whatever choice people make
4. Desire for Adoption - More people need to use Linux/Ubuntu, and I will try to make more people adopt it.

My feeling is that you're ignoring that #3 even exists. To you, it's either 2 or 4.

matthew
October 22nd, 2005, 11:36 PM
Is the problem really the perception of what marketing can be at its worst? I fear what poorly done marketing could do to the overwealmingly positive image Ubuntu has. Anything connected to sales and advertising hype loses substantial amounts of prestige very quickly.

Or is it that people really don't want open source in the high street? I find that hard to understand. I want as many people who are interested to be able to find the things I love, whether it is in the realm of politics, philosophy, religion or even my choice of operating system and favorite brand of snack food. I don't want to see people I love bombarded by anything.

It is my understanding that without some structure to inform the public of what is available, they cannot make a choice and the reach of the 'just get it if you want it' approach must surely be limited. I disagree. Structure is not always necessary. Think "viral marketing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing)" and how effective that has been. At its best it can be a lot of fun...the downside is that at its worst viral marketing is indistinguishable from spam. It's a delicate balance that requires great effort to do well and very little effort to screw up.

Hey, I don't know it all - I'm just amazed even that some people don't care. I thought that's why we were here - because we cared about community and that we're always open. If you don't tell people about something - that's technically secret, right? What I said was "I don't care if you try to market Ubuntu or not" which could easily be understood correctly to mean "I don't care for the idea of marketing Ubuntu [in the official, strategic/commercial sense]"...that does not translate to "I don't care about community" or "I want to keep good things to myself." That's a pretty big leap to make.

aysiu
October 22nd, 2005, 11:47 PM
Even though I'm arguing with Stormy Eyes at the moment, I really do think what we need is just a do-your-own-thing philosophy (which is, actually, quite in line with the whole idea of Linux and open source). I don't think anyone should look down on marketing efforts, as long as those efforts are not in poor taste. Nor should anyone who's more enthusiastically recruiting look down on the less enthusiastic--we're making strides in our own way.

Do whatever works for you.

matthew
October 22nd, 2005, 11:50 PM
We're talking about different degrees here:
1. Apathy - I couldn't care less whether people use Ubuntu or not
2. Passive "Evangelism" - If people ask me about it, I'll tell them.
3. Desire for Exposure - I just want to let people know Linux is an option, but I won't push it on them. I'll respect whatever choice people make
4. Desire for Adoption - More people need to use Linux/Ubuntu, and I will try to make more people adopt it.

This wasn't really directed at me, but I'll reply anyway.

I am not in #1.

I think #2 is good.

I have no problems with #3 and like the idea of making things known so that people can make educated decisions.

While I might think #4 is true I do not like it when people do that to me.
I.e. "Here, try this brand of soap! It makes your hands as soft as a baby's butt." What if I like my hands to be rough? Whose job is it to decide how my hands should feel? The likely response to this sort of methodology is rejection and possibly active opposition. How many people who were never politically active previously took a stand because they heard some loudmouth they didn't agree with shouting at the world and so they stood up in opposition? (I'm not criticizing that...stay with my main point here, do we want people reacting that way to Ubuntu or linux in general??) How many pro/anti-religion zealots have been created solely because someone stepped on another person's emotional toes as they tried to advocate their favorite deity (or lack thereof).

I'm all in favor of marketing if it means #3. I think this is what you are advocating, ayisu.

I have not yet seen a clear picture of what the very animated and genuinely exuberant sounding marketing_ubuntu team plans to do--so I am very hesitant about the idea.

Malphas
October 23rd, 2005, 12:02 AM
Firefox's Internet and word-of-mouth marketing campaigns didn't hurt its image (reports of security exploits and memory leaks did though).

aysiu
October 23rd, 2005, 12:04 AM
I think I'm somewhere around 2.5. I don't really go out of my way to push Linux. I have a hard enough time just getting people to use Firefox. Imagine even mentioning a non-Windows operating system to them. I did get one friend to use Linux temporarily because she had older hardware, but once she got a new Windows XP laptop, that was the end of that--and that's fine... it's what works for her.

I do believe that Linux in general and Ubuntu specifically need more exposure. People have a right to make their own choices and decide what's best for themselves, but that also includes knowing what all the major choices are, and right now most people don't consider Linux or Ubuntu a major choice. The major choices are Windows and Mac.

marketing_ubuntu
October 25th, 2005, 04:03 AM
I have my own reasons for being here that I deem more important than some notion of community. As for telling people about Linux: I don't go telling people about Ayn Rand, either, unless they see me reading The Fountainhead and start asking questions. I'm of the opinion that evangelism of any sort, whether one is seeking converts to religion or to Linux, is rude.

So, you've never said "Hey I read this really good book..." before?

"evangelism" - to try to persuade people to become... Erm, no - that's not really the plan behind marketing. I mean, do you feel like you have become persuaded to drink a certain spring water / beer / eat a brand of chocolate? I think we're looking at this as if it's either "say nothing" or "shove it down their necks" - is there no other way? Such as - "let them know it's available"?

For example, I can talk to a Chamber of Commerce and they say 'Hey, that's interesting - perhaps our member businesses can consider that?" The businesses aren't 'persuaded' to come - they come because they're interested and they know the information is available - and open standards etc...

I mean, do we "evangelise" a car manufacturer's latest model? No. But some people say "Hey - look at my car, it's nice - hasn't broken down and it's easy for me to work on and it cost less than...." and they don't even get benefits / help / support from the manufacturers for passing comment - they're just sharing their knowledge, and they're proud of what they own.

Is it that hard to imagine - being proud of Ubuntu?

Even on a selfish basis, the more people that know about Ubuntu, the more developers contribute - the more you get / for longer...

Focus-Quote:

I don't go telling people about Ayn Rand, either, unless they see me reading The Fountainhead and start asking questions..

Erm...you just did, lol. ;)

matthew: From your resource: "Viral marketing and viral advertising refer to marketing techniques " - how do you implement a technique without a structure?

... and no big leap to make - the question was "Do you think we should share Ubuntu with the (rest of the) world?"

matthew
October 25th, 2005, 04:36 AM
matthew: From your resource: "Viral marketing and viral advertising refer to marketing techniques " - how do you implement a technique without a structure?
I see your point.

What I said was "I don't care if you try to market Ubuntu or not" which could easily be understood correctly to mean "I don't care for the idea of marketing Ubuntu [in the official, strategic/commercial sense]"...that does not translate to "I don't care about community" or "I want to keep good things to myself." That's a pretty big leap to make.

... and no big leap to make - the question was "Do you think we should share Ubuntu with the (rest of the) world?"
And my saying that I don't care whether we [actively] share Ubuntu with the rest of the world does not mean I don't care about community. It does not mean that I want to keep it solely to myself. You asked the question within the stated and obvious framework of marketing. I responded within that context. Then you made a leap outside of your original context and took my words to imply some sort of Ubuntu-selfishness. Don't get defensive when I choose to point that out. It was a big leap to make--you jumped from a statement made within the framework of your original post regarding marketing Ubuntu and tried to make it apply outside that framework.

Disagreements don't bother me. Reasonable adults can have differences of opinion and express those differences intelligently and perhaps even persuasively. This is how new ideas are embraced and how others are shaped and molded into their best possible form. Disagreement with me does not intimidate nor frustrate me.

I don't like being misquoted, though. When my meaning is clear, please don't change the context to try to muddy it. If I was somehow not clear, feel free to ask for clarification, but don't presume to put words in my mouth.

Thank you and have a great day.

marketing_ubuntu
October 25th, 2005, 04:51 AM
I'm terribly sorry Matthew - we seem to have a misunderstanding and I will apologise if anything I have said has offended you. Please be aware that this was most certainly not my intention.

When I originally said "I'm just amazed even that some people don't care." - I did not quote you, I was in fact (and perhaps I should have made it more clear) referring to the poll - that some people voted 'I don't care' regarding sharing Ubuntu with the rest of the world.

I really didn't quote you and I am sincerely sorry if I did not explain that correctly at the time. I can assure you of my sincerity and that I have no wish to mis-quote you.

With the same token, I would like you also to feel free to ask for clarification.

;)

ThirdWorld
October 25th, 2005, 05:14 AM
I think that Ubuntu need more publicity to get more people involved and to convince people to switch. imagine computers retailers and manufacturers like Dell, HP and Walmart offering linux ubuntu preinstalled for free on laptops and Pcs :p

matthew
October 25th, 2005, 05:41 AM
I'm terribly sorry Matthew - we seem to have a misunderstanding and I will apologise if anything I have said has offended you. Please be aware that this was most certainly not my intention.

When I originally said "I'm just amazed even that some people don't care." - I did not quote you, I was in fact (and perhaps I should have made it more clear) referring to the poll - that some people voted 'I don't care' regarding sharing Ubuntu with the rest of the world.

I really didn't quote you and I am sincerely sorry if I did not explain that correctly at the time. I can assure you of my sincerity and that I have no wish to mis-quote you.

With the same token, I would like you also to feel free to ask for clarification.

;)

Thank you. Consider the slate clean. I wish you well in your endeavours.

marketing_ubuntu
October 25th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Hey ThirdWorld,

I think you're right. There are plans afoot and offers on the table, I believe - but at the same time it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation. 'Resellers' - selling the hardware pre-installed, are looking for market forces (people who want it) and people who want it can't access it everywhere until resellers provide it, lol.

Now, all we can do is make people aware (those that don't know about it), that Linux is a viable _alternative_ to their current OS. We can present its features etc, but (I may be wrong), my belief is that to truly have OpenSource in the high street, we need to:

i) Use a strong contender as the 'arrowhead' vehicle - Ubuntu is suitable for that.

ii) Use our resources, as a community, wisely and to our advantage - it would appear that the 'grassroots' are our advantage - people.

We have a great community (sometimes disagreeing ,lol - but that's what makes it great). Working together and really knitting together those from all over the world who really would like to see OpenSource as the #1 alternative in the high street requires a little of our time and attention.

We must not forget that we aren't starting from square 1 - the adoption of Linux is extensive already - it just seems the desktop market has not been provided for until now.

If we can provide assistance to both the users and the suppliers at the same time, our efforts to make the 'out-there' community aware, we (the MarketingTeam - if I can speak on their behalf - I'm sure they'll correct me here if I'm wrong, lol) believe we can be most effective. It's not about 'selling it' in the hard-line sense - it's about providing the alternative, in the same place people find the current market leaders.

To do that professionally, with a level of quality, we cannot call it by any other name - if the others in the marketplace 'market', then we must also 'market' to be competitive, as you mentioned - we need a certain amount of 'awareness' (publicity).

I think so, anyway - what do you think?

When we have all of those guys providing an equal amount of OpenSource software as Proprietary (as you mentioned- the market leaders in hardware), it becomes a fair choice for the buyer - and that's cool, right?

Well, we hope so. Thanks for your post. Feel free to come and BrainStorm with us if you like - you're most welcome, as is everyone. ;)

Thank you. Consider the slate clean. I wish you well in your endeavours.

Brilliant - thanks matthew ;)