PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No GRUB after 8.04 install

Jungle-Cat
May 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Hey guys,
I just did a fresh install of XP on its own partition, and am trying to dual boot it with Hardy Heron.

I've got a 4gb partition (ntfs) for XP, and a 35gb ext3 for Ubuntu. I run the installer via live cd and everything seams to work; but GRUB does not appear to have installed. Windows XP boots, as if Ubuntu doesn't exist.

I had no problems with 7.10...

Thanks

tommcd
May 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Just to be clear, did you install XP first to a primary partition, and the install Ubuntu? If XP was installed last it will overwrite grub on the MBR. Assuming Ubuntu installed ok, then you just need to reinstall grub. To reinstall grub, boot up the live CD, open a terminal, and follow this:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#Re-install_Grub_with_Live_CD

Jungle-Cat
May 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I installed Ubuntu AFTER Windows to prevent it overwriting the MBR.

I'll try the above now.

Jungle-Cat
May 19th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks, I did the above and now GRUB is installed.

The menu items are all named correct, and I can boot Winxp. However, If I try and run one of the Ubuntu items I get "Partition not found". That's rubbish; Ubuntu is installed on (hd1,1) where xp is on (hd1,0). So my setup is something like this:
hd1,0 - NTFS - Winxp - 40gb
hd1,1 - ext3 - Ubuntu 8.04 - 35gb
linux-swap - 2gb
free space - 1gb

The menu.lst points to (hd1,1) for Ubuntu, but I get "Partition not found"... is there a tool I can run from the live-cd to 'suss it out' ?

iaculallad
May 19th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Boot from the Ubuntu LiveCD. From your desktop, open the terminal and issue the command:

sudo update-grub

to re-create your /boot/grub/menu.lst

Jungle-Cat
May 19th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Searching for GRUB installation directory ...
No GRUB directory found. To create a template run 'mkdir /boot/grub' first. To install grub, install it manually or try the 'grub-install' command. ### Warning, grub-install is used to change your MBR. ###

>D:

iaculallad
May 19th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Follow this link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351) to re-create your GRUB.

Jungle-Cat
May 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Ok; now I'm really screwed.

I have no idea where GRUB is installed, I can't find stage1... how do I completely remove grub and install it to my Ubuntu partition?

//edit
I think it is trying to setup and update GRUB on "/" (live cd root) instead of "/media/disk-1/boot/grub"... I think I'm going to have to reinstall Ubuntu. Possible Windows as well and start from scratch... very disappointing; Ubuntu 7.10 worked a charm, Ubuntu 8.04 is a complete crock up for both me and my Dad.

//edit
Ok; here is what I did:
sudo gparted
unmount disk-1
linuxswap off
delete partition disk-1
delete linuxswap

Windows recovery console:
fixmbr

voila!

I'll try again next week :P