PDA

View Full Version : Opera 9 Preview 1 Unofficially Released

weeguy
October 21st, 2005, 03:43 AM
Opera 9 Preview 1 Unofficially Released

Opera today released Opera 9 preview 1.

In this version Opera added an opera:config page for managing advanced preferences (very useful), support for XSLT, Canvas 2D, Web Forms 2.0, a new IMAP backend, rich-text editing on Web pages, site-specific preferences, and many more changes. See the changelog for a complete list of changes.

Opera 9 also identifies itself as Opera in its UserAgent by default.

Important: This is only a preview version and should NOT be installed over previous versions. This release uses a new account storage format. If you install over an existing profile, you will be prompted to convert all accounts into the new format. This will not require a re-index. You will not be able to use the reformatted e-mail with previous versions of Opera.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With today's preview release of Opera 9, in addition to some of the more apparent changes, Opera has also made some subtle changes in hopes of unifying the browser terminology.

For example, most browsers refer to browser tabs simply as 'tabs', while Opera, until now, referred to them as 'pages'. However with Opera 9, it is referred to as tabs as well.

It also made some changes to some common keyboard shortcuts that deal with tabs. CTRL+T now opens a new tab instead of CTRL+N, while CTRL+N now opens a new browser window.

The changes was made after many flocked to Opera from other browser after going ad-free and complaining of the lack of common behavior among browsers.

Taken from: http://operawatch.blogspot.com
Download: http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/u90p1.html

joshuapurcell
October 21st, 2005, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm one of those who 'flocked' to Opera after I heard they got rid of ads, and I did so strictly because of problems I had with certain websites in Firefox (from multiple systems and from various Linux distributions). I've been pleasantly surprised in how well the browswer performs so far. I'm downloading this new version now.

thtan
October 21st, 2005, 05:31 AM
I've been using it from the early stage of this browser, either from version 3 or 4, and it has been my primary browser through these years. I've never even consider to move to firefox even though there have been so much recommendations and advertisement on it.

Just use it.

rolfotto
October 21st, 2005, 09:28 AM
I just moved from Firefox to Opera, after I freshly installed Breezy coming from Hoary. Firefox was always a buggy CPU resource hog on Hoary but much more so on Breezy, it stopped responding every few websites (strange since I had absolutely no problems with Firefox on Windows).

Anyway, IIRC Opera is the one that originally came up with tabs and it shows - you can manipulate them much more naturally than in firefox. I didn't download Opera last since I tried it in 2000 and it works much better now and is fast and feels lightweight.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that they upgraded, that Ctrl-N instead of Ctrl-T kinda annoyed me but I got used to it. Only to switch back again

psychicdragon
October 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM
I've always loved Opera and used back when I was on Windows. But everytime I try to use it now I end up getting frustrated because it doesn't use the Gtk filechooser. Otherwise, it's probably the best web browser available on any platform.

stimpack
October 21st, 2005, 10:39 AM
I end up getting frustrated because it doesn't use the Gtk filechooser.

Heh, I love the fact it doesnt use the Gtk file chooser dialog, that is one thing I really dislike about firefox. Sadly it doesnt use a KDE dialog either just a pretty featureless Windows-esque dialog.

I am waiting for adblock for I give opera another try, I cannot live without that.