PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need a /dev/null device?

Lukeg
May 18th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I'm thinking about installing ubuntu on friends computer but he says he doesn't think it has a dev null device. We were wondering if we could find a usb on for sale somewhere, or if ubuntu supported external ones. any help apprieciated

ad_267
May 18th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I've got a few spare /dev/null chips he can have. :lolflag:

. . . You are joking right?

Lukeg
May 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM
:? are these a standard feature on all motherbroads? I guess we will just try the installasion. Another friend tells me I can just do "ln -s /dev/null /dev/pcm" if it isn't found. I hope this works :confused:

Mr A Mouse
May 18th, 2008, 07:25 AM
/dev/nul is a "dummy" device--there's no actual hardware involved.

ad_267
May 18th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I think this is a joke.

wildcanis
May 18th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I'm glad I found someone else with this problem! I talked to HP support today and they said I do NOT have a dev null device. :( :( Am I stuck with ******* or should I install and try this 'ln' fix?

kerry_s
May 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I think this is a joke.

i hope so :lolflag:

Mr A Mouse
May 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I'm not sure, and I remember when I was first starting out with Linux. Someone could have told me that I needed to stand on my head and crow like a rooster to get it installed, and I would have almost believed them.

kerry_s
May 18th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I'm glad I found someone else with this problem! I talked to HP support today and they said I do NOT have a dev null device. :( :( Am I stuck with ******* or should I install and try this 'ln' fix?

/dev/null is a software blackhole, it's used to discard stuff, like a trash can that never fills up.

kerry_s
May 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Mr A Mouse, for your avatar, fixed the background to blend in.

Mr A Mouse
May 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Mr A Mouse, for your avatar, fixed the background to blend in.

:D Many thanks, kerry_s--I'm absolutely hopeless with the Gimp and similar.

kerry_s
May 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM
your so welcome, that white around the mouse was annoying me, mouse is suppose to blend in, be there but not stand out. :lolflag:
plus i had to redo mine to blend in with the new colors, so doing yours after was no problem. take care.