PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Java Circular Dependencies

ApologetixFan
May 18th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Hey y'all! What a great operating system, Ubuntu, eh?

I am trying to install java on my system. Every time I try to install a package, it shows a dependency on another package which won't install because of a dependency on another package, which won't install because of a dependency on the first package. What gives? How can i get this installed if I can't install because of another package which won't install because of the first package? KWIM?

Thanks a bunch.

mahuyar
May 18th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Be more descriptive. Which java package are you trying to install? Are you trying to install through Symnaptic? Make sure you have multiverse repository checked as well.

ApologetixFan
May 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Be more descriptive. Which java package are you trying to install? Are you trying to install through Symnaptic? Make sure you have multiverse repository checked as well.

Thanks for your response. I am trying to install the openjdk packages. Tho, I would install sun's java if I could find where to download it. I am trying to get NetZero installed, so I don't have a connection to the internet yet. Whether I double-click to use the GUI or use dpkg, it keeps telling me about the dependency failures.

mahuyar
May 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks for your response. I am trying to install the openjdk packages. Tho, I would install sun's java if I could find where to download it. I am trying to get NetZero installed, so I don't have a connection to the internet yet. Whether I double-click to use the GUI or use dpkg, it keeps telling me about the dependency failures.

Sun's java package name is sun-java6-jdk. It's in the multiverse repository. But without a live connection, I'm not sure what we can do atm.

ApologetixFan
May 20th, 2008, 03:03 PM
This seems silly. Another "circular reference". I need to be connected to the internet to get the packages that allow me to connect to the internet in the first place. But I cannot get the packages because I am not connected to the internet. So I need to connect to the internet to get the packages that allow me to connect to the internet. :confused:

Can't somebody help me? :(

kami_iwinaru
May 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM
try sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras in the terminal

im not sure if you need to be connected to the internet or not, but it should work if you dont

mahuyar
May 20th, 2008, 04:22 PM
This seems silly. Another "circular reference". I need to be connected to the internet to get the packages that allow me to connect to the internet in the first place. But I cannot get the packages because I am not connected to the internet. So I need to connect to the internet to get the packages that allow me to connect to the internet. :confused:

Can't somebody help me? :(

Are you saying you need those java packages to get connected to the net? I'm assuming that you need java to install Netzero package, which will eventually get you netborne.
The best bet I could come up right now is that you go to a computer with a live connection and download the Java JRE from www.java.com.

dstew
May 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
To install with all the dependencies, but with no internet, use nonetdebs (http://nonetdebs.unixpod.com/).

BigRedButton
December 30th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I am also having an issue installing the openjdk packages. I installed the Sun Java packages just fine so it's not a huge deal, but I am having the same circular dependency issues with installing the package openjdk6-jre. It depends on openjdk6-jre-headless, which depends on openjdk6-jre-lib, unfortunately openjdk6-jre-lib also depends on openjdk6-jre-headless, so neither will install.