PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 88888virus?

jesse c
May 18th, 2008, 01:33 AM
last night i was on line and i typed in a web address and a stream of 8's started streaming across the address bar.I was using Firefox so i switched desktops and tried Epiphany browser with same results with streaming 8's but now my mouse wouldnt work on anything and since i dont know any command line escapes i powered off and restarted and everything was back to normal.What did i run across?Was it a virus or just some bug?

chinese_ys
May 18th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Thats not virus I think. Mouse does not work means system freezes and web browser doesnot work properly means something related to browser itself.

Do not be fear.

sharkey77
May 26th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Sounds like a buffer overflow attempt.

SEMW
May 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I'm sure you've already thought of this, but in case you haven't: are you sure it wasn't just that the '8' key on your keyboard (either of them) got stuck down or otherwise jammed? The simplest explanation is often the best one...

oldsoundguy
May 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM
no such thing as that virus!! You are, most likely, having a hardware issue.

cntrl/alt/backspace will give you back your working desktop without a shut down and re-boot

sharkey77
May 26th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I'm sure you've already thought of this, but in case you haven't: are you sure it wasn't just that the '8' key on your keyboard (either of them) got stuck down or otherwise jammed? The simplest explanation is often the best one...

I second that.