PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cant install 8.04 from 7.10

pwmarcotte
May 18th, 2008, 01:23 AM
when i use the update manager to upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04, i receive a message to check my internet connection. obviously my network and internet connect are working alright because i can write this post. can someone assist an ubuntu noob?

Sef
May 18th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Could be that there is a problem with the repositories, so wait a few hours then try again.

pwmarcotte
May 18th, 2008, 02:49 AM
this issue has been occurring for approx 1.5 weeks for me. there are a few security updates that i can not download and update that i see in the update manager. i can also install any other new updates when they become available, except for the three updates.

grannyw
May 18th, 2008, 02:51 AM
bug???
or
system corruption???

Dont you want to try a fresh installation?

pwmarcotte
May 18th, 2008, 03:00 AM
thats what i was afraid of was to have to do a clean install. the thing is im not very good with linux and i have to constantly ask the same friend for advice. i dont want to get on his nerves by abusing the privilege. he help me set up several items to assist me in creating my first website. i dont want to loose all that work. i did burn an iso of 8.04. when i reboot and the cd starts, it doesnt offer the option to update the current version or something of the such. i heard there were other ways to update my system manually, which i have seen and tried. to no avail.

cdtech
May 18th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I had the same problem with my upgrade. For some reason the server for a certain repository is not functioning properly, so I had to edit mine and remove the us. from my locations.

Make sure that the *main restricted line also includes the universe and the multiverse as well.
"deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted universe multiverse"