PDA

View Full Version : Windows Xp, or should I say Xfce?

chris4585
May 18th, 2008, 01:12 AM
At school I use a computer for my fourth block class, they obviously don’t care about it, or I would of been told I did something wrong. But I pretty much use that computer for whatever I want. One day I got bored, and thought about making xfce4 look like Windows Xp. I think It looks nearly 95% just like Windows Xp, with compiz fusion on it. What do you think?

from my blog - Screenshots here (http://chris4585.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/windows-xp-or-should-i-say-xfce/)

Step 1

http://www.compiz-themes.org/content/show.php/WinXP+Theme?content=68882

extract that, and you'll need the background obviously

Now to be honest I used gnome-panel, because I couldn't figure out how to get the windows panel image to work in the xfce4-panel, use the xp panel-image in gnome. First run the terminal and run gnome-panel, (assuming you have gnome-panel) right click on it and go to properties, change it to use a image, and use the xp panel image.

Step 2

In xfce4 you have a windows xp like style, you'd have to look for it since I can't tell you the exact name, but it comes with the xfce4 package

Step 3

For the start image I went to images.google and looked for "windows xp start button" and filtered it to look for small images. But I'll save you time http://dsnimg.dell.com/images/kb/105595824.gif this might be the one I used, of course you can improvise. I saved that somewhere temporarily. Then download GnomeXP (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GnomeXP?content=69587) icons, Install them by extracting them to ~/.icons/

Delete the /GnomeXP/48x48/places/start-here.png and rename the xp start here button we downloaded off google to start-here.png

If that doesn't work replace all of the windows like logo's to the xp start button. You might have to go through trial and error, I did.

Step 4

Now right click on the gnome-panel, go to add to, remove the menu-bar, and add main-menu.

kk0sse54
May 18th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Not bad at all good job :). Are there any instructions or steps on how you did it?

gameryoshi600
May 18th, 2008, 01:36 AM
nice job. must have took alot of work

paintba||er
May 18th, 2008, 01:41 AM
It looks bad...but I guess that's what you were going for. :D

chris4585
May 18th, 2008, 01:51 AM
It looks bad...but I guess that's what you were going for. :D

Nah, I fooled some people so it must look at least have decent ;)

mick222
May 18th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I see what your trying but WHY linux is different to winblows

chris4585
May 18th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I see what your trying but WHY linux is different to winblows

I'm not really understanding what you're saying, I hate windows, but this was merely just something to do to a school computer out of boredum. If that clears anything up.

paintba||er
May 18th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Nah, I fooled some people so it must look at least have decent ;)

Haha, I think you misunderstood. It was a jab at Windows.

chris4585
May 18th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Haha, I think you misunderstood. It was a jab at Windows.

hehe, all is good man. :)

Spike-X
May 18th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I reckon you've done an excellent job of copying a really crappy-looking theme.

(Not having a go at you - seriously, well done! My criticism is of the XP theme, not of your work)

diskotek
May 18th, 2008, 02:35 AM
nice effort; but i think xfce4 is looking better normally. for example: just check sam linux

days_of_ruin
May 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Window xp windows were designed by PlaySkool :lolflag:

chris4585
May 18th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I reckon you've done an excellent job of copying a really crappy-looking theme.

(Not having a go at you - seriously, well done! My criticism is of the XP theme, not of your work)

Thanks, I totally agree, and the theme was actually easier to put together, I didn't make anything, just pieced together everything.

chris4585
May 18th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Window xp windows were designed by PlaySkool :lolflag:

haha, yeah, I guess microsoft was going for a different look when they decided to upgrade the older windows theme.

chris4585
May 18th, 2008, 02:56 AM
nice effort; but i think xfce4 is looking better normally. for example: just check sam linux

I looked at sam linux, it looks decent, I probably would rather go with linux mint xfce edition, I really like how they made that setup.

cardinals_fan
May 18th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Yay, PlaySkool for Linux!

vexorian
May 18th, 2008, 04:00 AM
The horrid XP theme joins forces with the bloat from compiz fusion and the usuability from XCFE!

Err, in a more serious note, if it wasn't for the title bar, it wouldn't really be anything like windows XP, I think polish-wise the screenshots are at least 2 years of work behind windows XP. There are so many things that are just wrong, the contrast in the taskbar fonts is one...

chris4585
May 18th, 2008, 04:02 AM
The horrid XP theme joins forces with the bloat from compiz fusion and the usuability from XCFE!

Err, in a more serious note, if it wasn't for the title bar, it wouldn't really be anything like windows XP, I think polish-wise the screenshots are at least 2 years of work behind windows XP. There are so many things that are just wrong, the contrast in the taskbar fonts is one...

lets see how you would do it then? It's out of pure fun :lolflag:

TBOL3
May 18th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I'd like to try, but I don't have that time right now. But the main problems that you have are:

A. It's not rounded enough, in windows, the start button is rounder then that. There are a few things like this.

B. The icon set. This is a complete dead give-away (besides the gnome ubuntu). I've never seen windows look like that. You need to add in the windows back and foreword buttons.

Happy_Man
May 18th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I'd like to try, but I don't have that time right now. But the main problems that you have are:

A. It's not rounded enough, in windows, the start button is rounder then that. There are a few things like this.

B. The icon set. This is a complete dead give-away (besides the gnome ubuntu). I've never seen windows look like that. You need to add in the windows back and foreword buttons.
Dude, lighten up a bit. It's just a thing the OP did because he was bored. It's not like he's trying to get it down perfect, just a sort of "look! I did this!" thing.

chris4585
May 18th, 2008, 06:32 AM
My point, I didn't want to be rude and say it. It's just all fun, don't take it seriously.