PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Get Past Login Screen

Jenga-kun
May 18th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I've been on feisty for a long while now so I decided to upgrade to hardy. I installed hardy over feisty with the installation cd 5 times now and every time I get the same result: I get to the login screen, I enter my username and password, and then I'm brought back to the login screen. I can keep entering my username and password but the same thing happens over and over and over again. Can somebody please help? I'm currently on windows and I'm finding out why I left it all over again.

If it helps my hard drive is normally in four partitions, one for windows, one for data storage, one for ubuntu, and one for swap file.

I am in the process of filming my installation and uploading to youtube if it will help.

grannyw
May 18th, 2008, 12:15 AM
it may be the corrupted disk you are installing from,try to mount ubuntu on new DVD disk and try the installation.

fmartinez
May 18th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Sounds like an X11 problem.
When you get to the login hit Alt+f2 and try logging into a terminal session, and looking through your log file. To see what type of error messages you get.

Jenga-kun
May 18th, 2008, 12:18 AM
it may be the corrupted disk you are installing from,try to mount ubuntu on new DVD disk and try the installation.

I thought that might have been the problem, so I downloaded ubuntu again and burned it onto a fresh disc and had the same problem. That was with the last two installations.

Jenga-kun
May 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Sounds like an X11 problem.
When you get to the login hit Alt+f2 and try logging into a terminal session, and looking through your log file. To see what type of error messages you get.

Yeah I tried that and I got no log file.