PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] never installed grub

thomasw78
May 17th, 2008, 11:11 PM
When installing Ubuntu 8.04 I chose not to install the bootloader thinking I would be able to later. Is there any way to install grub now? This is the first time I've ever tried installing Ubuntu. Thanks!

oilchangeguy
May 17th, 2008, 11:20 PM
When installing Ubuntu 8.04 I chose not to install the bootloader thinking I would be able to later. Is there any way to install grub now? This is the first time I've ever tried installing Ubuntu. Thanks!

you can install it from the live cd. there's something i've never understood. when most people install windows, they simply install it. however with linux, it seems most people want to mess with it, and don't know how to fix their errors. i'm not trying to be mean, but if you don't know what you're doing, don't mess under the hood. just install it.

thomasw78
May 17th, 2008, 11:32 PM
So are you going to tell me how to install off the liveCD?

oilchangeguy
May 17th, 2008, 11:42 PM
So are you going to tell me how to install off the liveCD?

my suggestion would be to start over and do a complete install. the reason being, when you for whatever reason decided not to install grub. there may be other needed components that did not install. so do it again. and this time leave it alone. there's a reason computer programers do what they do. and the rest of us should not try to make changes to something like how the operating system installs itself.