PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to partition ?

Stray Coder
May 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Hey guys I'm new to Ubuntu and I need a little help with partitioning. I already have Windows Vista installed on my hard disk and also ( as windows calls it when I'm logged into it) a backup drive(takes only 10 Gb's) . I have about 40 - 60 Gb's left on my hard drive(Hard Drive size is 100 GB's). How would I make Ubuntu install on only 20 GB's of the remaining space ? I do not wish to erase Windows or its backup area on my hard drive.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks:KS

Mhurst1
May 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Just go through the install process like you normally would for Ubuntu. Then when you get to the partition editor choose manual and set up your swap partition and 20 GB partition for Ubuntu.

NightwishFan
May 17th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Use Vistas built in partitioner. First, Defragment the drive. Then right click my computer -> Manage? -> Disk. Shrink the main partition by as much as you want. (20,000mb is about 20gb) Boot into the Ubuntu live cd, and install with the "use largest continuous free space" option, and you will have a dual boot my friend.

Pumalite
May 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
If you want a separate /home partition, you can go Manual and use the free space to create 3 'New' partitions:
10 Gb for '/'
1 GB for /swap (/swap=RAM in laptops for hibernation)
The rest for /home
Then press 'Forward'. The installer will do the rest.

housam
May 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Remember , before doing any thing backup your data and defrag your HDD 2-3 times . then proceed as described above.

teaker1s
May 17th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I would recommend following this
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=724817

Pumalite
May 17th, 2008, 10:35 PM
You can inform yourself with this too:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

teaker1s
May 17th, 2008, 10:53 PM
reason I recommended previous link is vista will not install sp1 with grub on mbr and or bitlocker/tpm module will have issues with grub mbr. You need to chain load vista boot loader to grub