PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome-panel turns invisible

Locutus_of_Borg
May 17th, 2008, 06:25 PM
On Ubuntu 7.10. After logging in, the panel appears, then the screen flashes and the icons appear, but the panel never comes back. It is still there, but completely transparent. Changing its properties does nothing. A 'dpkg-reconfigure gnome-panel' was able to fix it once, but now that also does nothing.

Compiz is running on an nvidia card if that makes any difference.

Also, if I create a new panel, that one is also invisible. I can still click on anything in the panel, just cannot see anything on it.

Any idea as to what this could be?

It didn't always do this, and nothing really has been changed that I can imagine would affect it. This is not my computer, but I am the one who 'maintains' it, so to speak.

Thanks.

NightwishFan
May 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Not sure perhaps it is set to have an opacity of zero with compiz but I doubt it. Move mouse over it, hold in alt and move the mouse wheel up and see if it appears. If not press alt+f2 and try:

killall gnome-panel && gnome-panel

Locutus_of_Borg
May 17th, 2008, 06:39 PM
no settings in compiz for gnome-panel, though i didnt try to manually raise the opacity

killall and restart brought back a fully transparent panel when i tried it.

the computer in question is now on Vista (i know, i know, but its owner needed to see the panel for something and i am not exactly sure how to fix it just yet)

but any other suggestions will be very appreciated

kshane
May 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM
no settings in compiz for gnome-panel, though i didnt try to manually raise the opacity

killall and restart brought back a fully transparent panel when i tried it.

the computer in question is now on Vista (i know, i know, but its owner needed to see the panel for something and i am not exactly sure how to fix it just yet)

but any other suggestions will be very appreciated

Try using a background image, for now???

Kevin

Locutus_of_Borg
May 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I believe I did try that yesterday, before running the dpkg-reconfigure.

thanks though