PDA

View Full Version : Elisa Media Center is just awesome

Half-Left
May 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I just found this beauty and it's just awesome, it's just as good as FrontRow for OS X and runs great for such a young project.

If you want to try it just sudo apt-get install elisa and install the Ugly plugins for internet media support.

http://elisa.fluendo.com/

Video Link: http://elisa.fluendo.com/screencast/elisa-0.3.3.ogg

Screenshots: http://elisa.fluendo.com/screenshots/

b3n87
May 17th, 2008, 05:57 PM
ive been using this too, its awesome. cant wait for DVB support tho!

have you installed the libvisual-0.4-plugins file to get the fancy visualization when music is playing?

FuturePilot
May 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM
It is awesome. It's come a long way since I tried it a long time ago. The last time I tried it, it didn't even work full screen. Now it's great. It's got a beautiful interface and much much more complete than the last time I tried it.

Half-Left
May 17th, 2008, 06:15 PM

have you installed the libvisual-0.4-plugins file to get the fancy visualization when music is playing?

Yer, very cool, I like how whatever your playing is in the background still.

bve
May 17th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Elisa is very cool indeed.

I was looking at Macs quite seriously because of Frontrow, now after finding Elisa I saved spending a bunch of coin by sticking with Ubuntu+Elisa for my HTPC.

Open source software rocks!

May 17th, 2008, 06:56 PM
This looks amazing, but my screen flickers when in full screen with this app. Can anyone help me? I think I have the fglrx drivers.

My laptop sports an ATI X200M integrated gfx card

Mazza558
May 17th, 2008, 06:57 PM
All we need is for ATi to get their act together, so that it can be run with Compiz.

Half-Left
May 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM
You can edit the config file for it to put your uTube or Flickr login details in. You'll find it in ~/.elisa/elisa.conf.

No UI for that yet I assume that cog icon in elisa is for that but not implemented yet. A picasaweb plugin would be great, I dont use flickr.

May 17th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I'm guessing you have the same problem as me?

sdowney717
May 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Is it possible to run it not full screen?

zekopeko
May 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Is it possible to run it not full screen?

yes, it defaults to windows mode. press f for fullscreen

Maratonda
May 17th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Sorry for the stupid question, it is not exactly elisa-related, but when the terminal says "suggested packages" after the install, is there a way it installs the suggested packages automatically or I have to type them manually afterwards? Thanks

Τitus
May 17th, 2008, 09:50 PM
this is good stuff :)

eragon100
May 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah I like it too, I discovered it two days ago :)

yorkie
May 18th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Hi just d/l Elisa looks great one problem it will not play WMA files I have no problem with Rythmbox and wma files any ideas
Thanks in advance

FuturePilot
May 18th, 2008, 01:00 AM
You may need the Ugly plugins.

Acglaphotis
May 18th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I installed elisa but when i execute it, it only shows a black background. It worked fine the first couple of times : (

diskotek
May 18th, 2008, 02:39 AM
i'm giving a try right now..i'll ad my comments soon.

edit:
nice graphics and visuals, but i'll need a organized harddrive for that
how can i quit it?

Half-Left
May 18th, 2008, 09:29 AM
i'm giving a try right now..i'll ad my comments soon.

edit:
nice graphics and visuals, but i'll need a organized harddrive for that
how can i quit it?

You can drag files and folders into it's window and use F to toggle fullscreen, Esc to quit.

b3n87
May 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Sorry for the stupid question, it is not exactly elisa-related, but when the terminal says "suggested packages" after the install, is there a way it installs the suggested packages automatically or I have to type them manually afterwards? Thanks

You have to type it in manually, which file is it recommending?

graabein
May 18th, 2008, 12:32 PM
How do I send Elisa to screen1 from the command line?

"Elisa" by Serge Gainsbourg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfLe2Oro95Q).

Maratonda
May 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I guess elisa-plugin-ugly or something

bigbrovar
May 19th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Need some help.. am trying to make elisa to see my music and video files which are stored in
/media/Data/Music
/media/Data/Videos

i dont know i can do this any tips

damoxc
May 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM
ln -s to ~/Music and ~/Videos, or edit your xdg file, elisa supports xdg directories.

idezmax
May 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I never use it. Is it good?

aeiah
May 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM
last time i used it a lot of videos would stutter around and it didnt like HD mkv videos either. i may have another look at it in future though. it'd be great if it could launch external players and such, as im rather fond of mplayer

TBOL3
May 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Yes it is awesome. But it's missing ONE main feature for me. I want dvd playback. When it gets that it will be my default media player.

Half-Left
May 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Need some help.. am trying to make elisa to see my music and video files which are stored in
/media/Data/Music
/media/Data/Videos

i dont know i can do this any tips

You should be able to drag files or directories into the Elisa window, use F to come out of fullscreen.

bve
May 19th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I installed elisa but when i execute it, it only shows a black background. It worked fine the first couple of times : (

I'm no expert, however I suspect it may be openGL related, try glxgears and see if it works - if glxgears doesn't work the problem is not Elisa it's openGL.

I was having the same problems with an older nVidia card which was not properly setup.

HTH

DrMega
May 19th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I tried Elisa recently, it looked as though it has potential, but I gave up after an hour or so.

I couldn't figure out how to give it a playlist (not sure if that's possible in the current version), but I don't always want to listen to every song in a given directory.

Now it's installed, I'll watch out for updates. It looks like it is going to be a good app in the future.

Acglaphotis
May 19th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I'm no expert, however I suspect it may be openGL related, try glxgears and see if it works - if glxgears doesn't work the problem is not Elisa it's openGL.

I was having the same problems with an older nVidia card which was not properly setup.

HTH

I fixed it, it was a bad config file :lolflag:

angry_johnnie
May 22nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Anybody know how to add different sites, other than youtube?

chronographer
May 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
How do I send Elisa to screen1 from the command line?

use something like this: 'DISPLAY=:0.1 /usr/bin/elisa' I use that for vlc when I play movies on the telly! its handy, i'll give you the script you can place in /home/<yournamehere>/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ and access it from a right click context menu!

# !/bin/sh
killall vlc #THIS IS NOT NECESSARY just useful!
DISPLAY=:0.1 /usr/bin/vlc -f "$*"

eragon100
May 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Thanx, I wanted to know how to send apps to another screen as well! :)

bigbrovar
May 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
I fixed it, it was a bad config file :lolflag:

pls how did u fix the problem .. i seem to be having something similar

|{urse
May 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
This looks amazing, but my screen flickers when in full screen with this app. Can anyone help me? I think I have the fglrx drivers.

My laptop sports an ATI X200M integrated gfx card

use this command

gstreamer-properties

click the "video" tab

change the first dropdown menu to say "X Window system (No XV)"

viola!

markp1989
May 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
has any one considered making a custom Ubuntu using this, for a dedicated media center?

if any one does i will be willing to help test

|{urse
May 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
this looks awesome! I installed

sudo apt-get install libvisual-0.4-plugins

and im still getting no viz. anyone?

Half-Left
May 22nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
has any one considered making a custom Ubuntu using this, for a dedicated media center?

if any one does i will be willing to help test

Not really at this time I think because it lacks DVD and TV so I'd wait for later versions, for what it is it's awesome.

markp1989
May 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Not really at this time I think because it lacks DVD and TV so I'd wait for later versions, for what it is it's awesome.

I meant in the near future, not right now

smartboyathome
May 22nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
I meant in the near future, not right now

Perhaps in the future, yes. There is already Mythbuntu, who knows, maybe they will switch to this. :D

Kingsley
May 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I wish I could get it working, but the version in the Fedora repository is outdated and will not start. :(

hanzomon4
May 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
use something like this: 'DISPLAY=:0.1 /usr/bin/elisa' I use that for vlc when I play movies on the telly! its handy, i'll give you the script you can place in /home/<yournamehere>/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ and access it from a right click context menu!

Error: Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?

ugm6hr
May 25th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Just installed it on a basic Ubuntu Hardy setup for a friend as his media centre, with autologin and elisa as an autostarted app (in full-screen).

Certainly looks slick.

He has a separate DVD player and satellite TV, so this does exactly what he needs!

Even used remote desktop to allow him to vnc into it to rearrange files etc from his (Windows) laptop.

Acglaphotis
May 28th, 2008, 01:26 AM
pls how did u fix the problem .. i seem to be having something similar

Just erase the .elisa folder, and it'll make a new one when you run it.

dccrens
May 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
My music and video folders are "shared" from a windows xp NTFS partition. Works well in Amarok and VLC. However, I could not figure out how to add those folders to Elisa. I tried "dragging and dropping" but that didn't seem to work. I tried reading what little documentation I could find but I didn't see anything applicable. Anyone know how to do this or if it is possible?

bigbrovar
May 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM
dccrens
Re: Elisa Media Center is just awesome
My music and video folders are "shared" from a windows xp NTFS partition. Works well in Amarok and VLC. However, I could not figure out how to add those folders to Elisa. I tried "dragging and dropping" but that didn't seem to work. I tried reading what little documentation I could find but I didn't see anything applicable. Anyone know how to do this or if it is possible?

me too

smartboyathome
May 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM
To you two:
I found a project called "Enna", which is an EFL (Enlightenment Foundation Libraries) media center. I think it would be more what you are looking for. :)

Also, try symlinks from your drive to a folder in your home directory, see if that helps.

zmjjmz
May 30th, 2008, 04:38 AM

Those visualizations are... orgasmic?
I dunno, but using those with Drum & Bass could give you a good seizure.
And Rammstein could blind you.

zmjjmz
May 30th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Perhaps in the future, yes. There is already Mythbuntu, who knows, maybe they will switch to this. :D

Sorry for the double post, but, this is something of a different beast than MythTV.
No TV support specifically.

Pasto
May 30th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I can't find anyone with a similar problem, but i can't hear a thing in Elisa. In rhythmbox everything works fine, which makes me think is not really a codec related issue. Visualization in elisa works but I get no sound playback. Videos work, but again, soundless.

Anyone had this problem? I'm using hardy

Pasto
May 30th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I can't find anyone with a similar problem, but i can't hear a thing in Elisa. In rhythmbox everything works fine, which makes me think is not really a codec related issue. Visualization in elisa works but I get no sound playback. Videos work, but again, soundless.

Anyone had this problem? I'm using hardy

Totem also works fine, so I guess it's not a gstreamer thing either. :(

Zoonosis
May 31st, 2008, 10:08 PM
idk if anyone still reads this post, but I'm having a problem w/ Elisa myself. I downloaded and installed it and when I use it, it doesn't seem like I have all the features. For example, when I play my music, I don't get the cool vizulization and I have to YouTube or anything for the Internet. Any help? Thanks!

Brandon Bovy
Zoonosis

IGNIZ
June 1st, 2008, 02:32 AM
idk if anyone still reads this post, but I'm having a problem w/ Elisa myself. I downloaded and installed it and when I use it, it doesn't seem like I have all the features. For example, when I play my music, I don't get the cool vizulization and I have to YouTube or anything for the Internet. Any help? Thanks!

Brandon Bovy
Zoonosis

just install all the recommended and suggested packages from synaptic right clicking on the elisa package

pt123
June 1st, 2008, 03:00 AM
My music and video folders are "shared" from a windows xp NTFS partition.

You can use smb fuse to mount the shared to a folder, then refer that folder in elsa.conf

|{urse
June 2nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
Anyone tell me how to get visualizations on elisa? (without doing drugs) Oh and i installed all the suggested and recommended packages in apt.

franzb
June 2nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Anyone tell me how to get visualizations on elisa? (without doing drugs) Oh and i installed all the suggested and recommended packages in apt.

Just install the package libvisual-0.4-plugins.

Franz

TheAL76
June 2nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
When I launch Elisa, I get the splash screen, but nothing happens. I can only open Elisa when I click on a media file and say Open With Elisa.

Is there a way to launch the media center without having to use a media file?

Also, what about changing fonts? And why do some thumbnails appear while others do not?

bvanaerde
June 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Sounds like a great application.
But if I get it right, this program is only for browsing/viewing/listening, and not for managing your files?

|{urse
June 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libvisual-0.4-plugins is already the newest version.

and i still dont get visuals. Is there something in the config file i need to specify? compiz is not enabled btw.

_DD_
June 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Wow, installed this last night and loving it :p

One thing... once I start playing some music and navigate back out into the menus and maybe look at some photos, how do I get back to the music 'now playing screen' to like skip through the track a bit? I can't find a button, is there a keyboard shortcut?

Also I found a little bug, but I'll go submit that over at their site.

billgoldberg
June 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I'm liking it, but how do I let it play files that are mounted on a different drive (using djmount)?

It works great on my laptop (intel based chipset) but it doesn't run good at all on my desktop (ati card).

Ati and OpenGL don't play nice together.

|{urse
June 24th, 2008, 03:48 AM
bump

kolajampa
July 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm liking it, but how do I let it play files that are mounted on a different drive (using djmount)?

It works great on my laptop (intel based chipset) but it doesn't run good at all on my desktop (ati card).

Ati and OpenGL don't play nice together.

i think its a great player , to access folders on a different partition just highlight the folders the right click make link and then copy the links to the pictures , music or video folders in home.
its not ideal but its a quick fix.

does anyone know why the cog icon doesnt work or is it just me?

Sealbhach
July 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM

Doesn't work for me either.

It's a nice media center though, otherwise.

Barrucadu
July 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I submitted a bug report about that but apparently it's a placeholder for something in a future version.

potrick
July 27th, 2008, 11:35 PM
So, anyone have a .deb for 0.5.2?