PDA

View Full Version : Update to Clear: The Next-Gen Look for Ubuntu

acelin
May 17th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Hey guys, a lot of improvements have been made to the overall look of Clear. I decided to reduce, but not eliminate transparency. Fonts have been made smaller, and changed. The overall look has been given a brown color scheme, but hopefully this could be changed once coded. I still need an icon set however, that matches and is unified.

Here is the link:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/Clear_Intrepid

acelin
May 19th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Any suggestions?

OZFive
May 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
So much brown.... and the black Firfox window really stands out agaisnt... all the brown. But I like the design and flow of it, but.... allllll that brown....

Venality
May 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I think you should pick more attractive/elegant colors that brown isnt too nice

Lostincyberspace
May 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I like it it is more of a deep brown than a tan light brown.

olskar
May 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Looks like a piece of chocolate.

timzak
May 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I agree with the brown comments. Personally, I like light-colored desktops (and could never get used to the default Ubuntu brown). I think there should be two themes: the typical brown that Ubuntu is known for (perhaps what you've already got there), and a light-colored version with creams, tans, and perhaps a sky blue.

Joeb454
May 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I like the style, though maybe not the brown on black. Some of the brown looks good though :)

so basically style = yes, colors = rethink

And I think you may want to seek help, you seem to be obsessed with changing the looks of Ubuntu (specifically to glass :confused:)

teet
May 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I kind of like the brown, but, as others have stated, I don't like the black firefox theme. That's easy to change, of course.

Also, I like having "applications" "places" and "system" separated on my gnome-menu.

Overall I would say this has a lot of potential :)

-teet

Kingsley
May 19th, 2008, 04:57 PM
It looks alright. I'm wondering if the transparency would work on weaker video cards though.

Luke has no name
May 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Same vote: Nice style, poor color.

I never use the default Ubuntu theme. The brown on black doesn't doesn't work.

Apply it to silver/white/blue/gray/darkgray, or some mixture.

acelin
May 19th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I like the style, though maybe not the brown on black. Some of the brown looks good though :)

so basically style = yes, colors = rethink

And I think you may want to seek help, you seem to be obsessed with changing the looks of Ubuntu (specifically to glass :confused:)

I think you need help! You want to keep Ubuntu looking like a 90's OS!

Thing is with color, someone always complains. If I go gray, people cry Windows 98 or Mac. If I go blue, people cry Vista. If I go brown, people cry POOP or chocolate.

Isn't there a palette I should stick too?

kef_kf
May 19th, 2008, 05:33 PM
icon colors should go well with colors other than orange/brown.
no black themes please, they look awful with white backgrounds of the webpages.
i like my apps, places and system menus seperate, dont see any reason to integrate them.
the min-max-close buttons on the decorations should be well defined, they should stand out from the rest of the decoration. i like smoothie (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Smoothie?content=56876) for that.

definately like the new ubuntu logo and the panels look really good.

Half-Left
May 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I like the idea a part from the brown, rounded menus and that Ubuntu logo are nice but just not possible at the moment.

speedemonV12
May 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM
i like it.. but sure is a hell of a lot of brown lol

chewearn
May 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I prefer a clearly defined titlebar, as opposed to the one in your mockup, where the titlebar and menubar are merged.

timzak
May 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'd like a redo on my answer.

Overall, it is a very attractive look. I specifically like the style of the panels and (for brown) the colors go well together. I'm not crazy about the black folder icons or the black on the FF window, but they don't look bad in the context of the rest of the theme. What I really don't agree with is that some of the icons are very brightly colored while others are black--that seems inconsistent to me.

I agree with the previous poster about the file manager not looking right with the title bar and menu bar merged.

I agree that these icons won't look right with many other color schemes (aside from my comment above about black icons mixed with brightly colored icons).

Given that Ubuntu always goes with a very brown default look, your mockup is the most attractive brown theme I've ever seen.

I'd like to reiterate my previous comment about having an alternate, lighter-colored brown theme, with tans, light browns, creams, sky blues. Basically, take the colors out of a typical African desert photo at mid-day and work with those.

Good luck.

timzak
May 20th, 2008, 09:50 PM
i like it.. but sure is a hell of a lot of brown lol

Reminds me of a line out of the Curious George movie: "That's a lot of yellow for one man!" :lolflag:

acelin
May 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Well guys most of what you have said are things I am still looking for: I need a color and a GOOD icon set. I dont like the icons per se, I just picked some. Also i prefer a white panel/menu look, but I want something that the community would like for a default.

hessiess
May 20th, 2008, 10:34 PM
ditch the transparancys and rounded corners.

acelin
May 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
ditch the transparancys and rounded corners.

No. I refuse to contribute to the current fail look of Ubuntu.

OZFive
May 21st, 2008, 05:38 AM
Well I looked some more at the pic to see what I liked about it and what I did not.

I love the design and the look of it really, really modern looking.
The colors need a change for sure... How about a dark grey/orange combo?

the application menus are great, but the sub-menu looks detached, it is not my thing. But I am not the designer of course. How about a text balloon with a nub showing it came from the main menu.

Transparency, I have never seen the need for it as there is usualy too little of it to see what is beneth really. It is just eyecandy and Vistaish I think. A faded over all window would be a better indicator of an inactive window.

I love the glowing window titles, they look cool.

All critisism meant in the best "there is no way I could make anything that damn good looking so take what I say with much respect to your skills"

swoll1980
May 21st, 2008, 06:13 AM
Poop brown is not a good default theme for any os

Jammerdelray
May 21st, 2008, 06:48 AM
overall it's too dark, throw in some tango orange maybe and pick a lighter brown.

warbread
May 21st, 2008, 07:01 AM
I really, really like it. Well, everything but the color. I recognize your predicament with people's taste in color palates, and mine is especially fickle. What I would love from this theme is to be able to change the colors to my preference. Other than that, it looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it out.

However, I'm new to this whole Clear thing. Is this a new rendering engine or just a new theme?

Lostincyberspace
May 21st, 2008, 07:06 AM
How come no one makes green themes? I really like green but there are like 4 total green themes.

You want admiration (from me atleast) make a good green theme.

Chilli Bob
May 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM
I absolutely love the brown. The menu and the file browser look fantastic. However, the theme on Firefox I find almost unreadable.

madjr
May 21st, 2008, 08:40 AM
these icons look nice, hardy icons hehe :)

http://www.gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre3/81258-3.jpg

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/New+Hardy+Screenshots?content=81258

graabein
May 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM
This mockup doesn't really do it for me. I like it less than the other mockups I've seen for Ubuntu 8.04. Can't dig up a screenshot now but that too was all-brown. I'd rather not go in this direction for the new look of Ubuntu.

geoken
May 21st, 2008, 01:39 PM
I vote for madjr. I think it looks more polished and the colors seem usable.

The other theme is OK, but I don't think the Vista style window borders make sense. If that's what someone want's, 70% of the emerald themes on gnome look are Vista imitations so I'm sure they've already been appeased.

As for the rest of the theme, it seems disjointed. For example, the button widgets in nautilus's path bar look different from the button widgets on the confirmation dialog which in turn look different from the button widgets in the panel's window list. Also, attempts to make it more space efficient while simultaneously using a look where all panels are blended have eliminated all the necessary whitespace.

Anoblejlw
May 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
I'm actually really liking how this theme looks. Only problem I have with the brown is how the icons (and Firefox theme) don't go with it, but that's being worked on.

good job.

aaaantoine
May 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
What I like:
- The Perspective Ubuntu icon
- Use of gradients
- The connected button widgets in Nautilus (as long as they're themeable, in the sense that a different theme can "disconnect" the buttons).

What could use improvement:
- Apply a slight Gaussian Blur to graphics visible through translucent windows. In particular, the gnome-panel and the menus. This improves the readability of up-front text.
- The Search bar should perhaps be wider, even if that means widening the entire menu. Consider adding a second column of options.
- Display of the current folder (and parent folders) in Nautilus should follow the same theme as the Back/Forward/Up/Refresh buttons.

What I dislike:
- Black widgets in one window, brown widgets in the rest? Inconsistent, and impossible without tweaking gtkrc files for specific apps.
- Rounded corners on the workspaces in the workspace switcher. The current theme rounds the corners of the applet, but not the individual workspaces. I like the current approach better.

Foster Grant
May 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM
I'd like to reiterate my previous comment about having an alternate, lighter-colored brown theme, with tans, light browns, creams, sky blues. Basically, take the colors out of a typical African desert photo at mid-day and work with those.

+1, Insightful.

Samueltehg33k
May 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
I LOVE IT! theme link plz?

Tyler H
May 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM
I really like your design. Just not the colors (yes I realize I'm probably the 100th post to say that.)

I do have to say the first time I installed and booted up Ubuntu I was seriously turned off by the colors and the overall theme.

I think you should incorporate some greens found native to Africa, as that's what seems the whole brown/orange theme is from in the beginning.

acelin
May 22nd, 2008, 03:39 AM
Newest Version:

http://salane89.deviantart.com/art/Ubuntu-Clear-VGr-Intrepid-Ibex-86351635

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/Clear_Intrepid