PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Installed Hardy from Windows, got German instead of English - Help how do I

cwgpress
May 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I used the fancy new 'install from Windows' feature. First it seemed to want to download lots of stuff even though I had the disk in the drive, and finally crashed on that. So I tried again. This time it proceeded through the installation but when it got to installing it was in German! I let it finish and the system comes up okay but it's in German and I speak English. I need to change the system language. Do I have to reinstall? I think there's a way to change it but I haven't done enough with Linux systems to know how? Can somebody please help by providing step-by-step instructions? Also, has anybody else had this problem, and why might it have happened to me? It's on a practically brand new laptop with dual 64-bit AMD processors.

Thanks in advance.

PryGuy
May 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM
In English version you had to go to System/Administration/Language Support (the blue flag icon), change your default language to English (United States) and reboot. I dunno how it is in German translation.:(

zvacet
May 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
In system>admin>language support download your locales(English in your case)>set English as default language and uncheck German locales.After reboot your comp will speak English.

cwgpress
May 17th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for fast answers. Trying it now, will report back... (I'm posting this on a different system, in case anyone wondered...)

cwgpress
May 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM
It worked!

Turned out the interface was Danish, not German, but the procedure to change was the same. There was a little more confusion as I logged in but mostly everything seems okay. I'm now going to do the upgrades, etc.

One slight problem still remaining: I tried to log onto this forum from the new system but it only let me enter 7 characters for the password and I need 8. So I'm still entering the post from another system. Hopefully I'll solve that problem soon.

Thanks again!!!!

PryGuy
May 17th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Glad everything's fine with you! Mark your thread as solved and give us medals please... :oops:

cwgpress
May 17th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I marked the thread solved and sent thanks, don't know how to do anything else.

so:

THANK YOU:popcorn:

PryGuy
May 18th, 2008, 07:13 PM
You are welcome, pal! ;)