PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Trying to find a way to install to old Laptop

iheartubuntu
May 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I have an old Gateway laptop model SOLO 5300. I want to put Xubuntu on this system and use it as my central kitchen computer for checking email on the go, looking up recipes, watching online TV or a DVD, and so on.

Its a PIII with 900mhtz CPU, 1-GB memory and I think 20GB hard drive.

The DVD drive is having problems reading any DVDs or CDs I have burned of Xubuntu from my linux computers. It will start reading the disc, like get into the xubuntu menu, but then it locks up and I cannot install the OS. Ive tried the LiveCD and the ALT cd of Xubuntu. Burned them at the slowest speeds both on a cd and also tried a dvd.

The only thing that works is a professionally made Ubuntu disc from Canonical. Id rather not put 7.04 on this system and wanted to try Xubuntu instead. Does Canonical make professional discs I can order of Xubuntu?

Any tips for getting Xubuntu on this old computer some alternative method? Thanks for any ideas! Im scratching my head on this one.

iheartubuntu
May 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM
One of the problems I am finding is this older computer cant read 52x CDs even if I burn them at 1x. Do they still make/sell blank cd's that go up to 8x only?

teaker1s
May 17th, 2008, 04:30 PM
what about a usb enclosure and installing through an external cd rom or dvd drive

kerry_s
May 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
sounds to me like a burning issue, you want to burn at 4x for the best results, cdr's are generally better.

Pumalite
May 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Otherwise go with Unetbootin:
http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html

iheartubuntu
May 17th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Otherwise go with Unetbootin:
http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html

Ahh, many thanks!

Would you recommend Ubuntu 8.04 or Xubuntu 8.04 on this particular computer?

teaker1s
May 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
xubuntu is lighter option but you can have several desktops selectable at login

wolfen69
May 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM
if the commercial disk is the only one that will work, you could always install the xubuntu desktop after install.

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Pumalite
May 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM
With 1 GB of RAM you can run Ubuntu 8.04

iheartubuntu
May 17th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Does Unetbootin work like wubi or will it eventually wipe out XP for me. Im trying to get rid of XP :)

iheartubuntu
May 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
if the commercial disk is the only one that will work, you could always install the xubuntu desktop after install.

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Thanks, I think this is the way to go. I ordered a 8.04 official disc so I'll just have to wait for it. Id rather not install 7.10, then have to upgrade.