PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on the BBC (again)

DoctorMO
May 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/default.stm

Those BBC dudes are at it again, recent open source / free software / freeware shout out.

Nice browser run through, nice ubuntu show case.

Really bad and confusing interview, bad explanation of Free Software and Freeware, made it seem like they were the same thing.

abhiroopb
May 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I think this is more about free (as in beer) software. Just general free software that you can find to use. Although they do mention Dell and Ubuntu in the begining I think the focus here is how to make you're computer experience cheaper.

Paqman
May 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Exactly, Spencer Kelly fronts Click, which is a show aimed squarely and end-users, and mostly just showcases gadgets and software with a "Look! Cool stuff!" slant.

They're not trying to showcase Open Source, they're just showing people that they don't have to pay big bucks to get good software. Which at the end of the day plays right into the hands of OSS anyway.

abhiroopb
May 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Yes I don't see how OSS can lose out. I mean sure the purists will argue that people aren't getting the right image. But unless someone SAYS that free software is BAD, people will still continue to use it. However, there is a stigma attacehed to the notion that if its free it isn't as good.

DoctorMO
May 17th, 2008, 08:39 PM
there is a stigma attacehed to the notion that if its free it isn't as good

Do you not think a lack of rationale hurts in explaining hy the software is free?

Mazza558
May 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Erm... help?

b3n87
May 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
i found it really annoying that he started talking about FREE/OPEN software, then started talking about freeware; they didnt cleany define either of them!

hessiess
May 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Open Office is a free alternative to Microsoft's Office programs, and it is the best value freeware we can find.

OO.o is not freewere, its FOSS

Τitus
May 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM
nice piece

qazwsx
May 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM
wtf

smoker
May 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM
at least it's a mention, that programme is repeated quite a few times and is watched by millions. who knows, there may be a few conversions as a result :-)

ubuntu-freak
May 17th, 2008, 11:14 PM
OO.o is not freewere, its FOSS

Maybe they word it like that for the benefit of the ignorant. They know the masses are always looking for good "freeware".

Nathan

uraldinho
May 18th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I just saw the "Click" or is it called "online click", either way, the episode was about computing on budget.

I didn't pay much attention to it, but in general they give a few tips on how to get free software. Nothing to call home about. The part about Ubuntu was literally 10 seconds.

On a separate note, last year the anti-virus on my XP expired and I didn't want to pay again for an anti-virus. So, I asked a few friends and they recommended AVG. A few spyware programs that I tried turned out to be malicious, so it's good that there is a such a TV programme telling giving people tips.

zmjjmz
May 18th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Isn't it odd that they'd promote it on their show and then not let us use their iPlayer?

ugm6hr
May 18th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Isn't it odd that they'd promote it on their show and then not let us use their iPlayer?

I agree - this "episode" is the second that I have seen that is positively glowing about Ubuntu on Click.

Even though Ubuntu only got about 10 seconds, there was a reasonable display of the desktop, and they also demonstrated GIMP and OO.org on an Ubuntu desktop (rather than Windows). This was also in the context of mentioning Linux and the penguin mascot, all of which raises Linux profile amongst the public in the UK (remember it is on TV too, not just online).

Importantly, they made it clear that installing a new OS is not the easiest way to reduce IT costs for most people who have Windows pre-installed.

I think the issue of iPlayer is more difficult for them... Until an FOSS media player supports DRM (which I presume is a contradiction in itself), online TV downloads (from any channel) will not be possible on Linux. Or if one of the proprietary formats becomes universally available on Linux (which is perhaps equally unlikely).

Can't really ask BBC to spend money on developing their own new IT technology just for us... although maybe we should!

kaboodle_fish
May 18th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I guess the question is which is preferable? - No coverage of GNU/Linux and FOSS or coverage that may be limited and not entirely accurate

Some may say that if the information is not correct then people will get confused or will not understand or even care about the philosophical ideas behind GNU/Linux and FOSS. Others will no doubt say that does not matter and getting people away from Microsoft means that the ends are justified by any means and for any reason.

IMNSHO it is up to all of us to take this increased coverage and awareness and without preaching and pontificating show people the benefits of our preferred OS.

ugm6hr
May 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM
IMNSHO it is up to all of us to take this increased coverage and awareness and without preaching and pontificating show people the benefits of our preferred OS.

Exactly.

Even if it means a few people end up googling Ubuntu after watching this, that's a few more people who may find out about FOSS if they are interested.

Besides which, I would argue that most people who experiment with Linux / FOSS do so for a combination of financial and freedom issues. Marketing on the basis of one or other is fine by me.

There is no such thing as bad publicity :lolflag:

PS: This is not to say FOSS users are poor - even the richest people in the world (perhaps excluding celebrities) see benefit in saving cash.

Fedz
May 18th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I saw the BBC Click before going to work yesterday - the whole family said look Ubuntu's on TV ... :)

I thought it was a good teaser but, made Ubuntu worth a look if you have no money for Window$ ...

Not everyone however wants/needs or moves to Ubuntu just because it's free (cost), some like me simply want FOSS and not be chained like you are with Window$, it sure helps Ubuntu is a fully featured, stable operating system ;)

I've donated more to Canonical © than I ever have paid for window$ and any software :D

I'm sure if linux/Ubuntu usage exploded the BBC would soon re-encode their iPlayer :lolflag:

smoker
May 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM

i haven't tried it, but there is a linux version (with restrictions) being developed:
http://polishlinux.org/apps/multimedia/bbc-iplayer-linux-screenshots/

DoctorMO
May 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Can't really ask BBC to spend money on developing their own new IT technology just for us... although maybe we should!

Driac Codec? in the repositories, made by the BBC.

ubuntu-freak
May 18th, 2008, 12:50 PM
It was on at 11:30 this morning on BBC News, the channel. Pretty cool, inaccurate, but cool.

Maybe they should do a show about open source sofware itself. They probably will if they receive emails asking what it's all about. ;-)

Nathan

abhiroopb
May 18th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Like I said I disagree. People think free software (whether libre, or beer) is seen as inferior. My dad is just an example. We used to use a free AV on windows, but naturally got a lot of viruses, and so he decided to pay for McAfee, anyway my point is if its free people think it can't be as good. While they may use say a free browser, they're not going to use free office software!

ugm6hr
May 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
People think free software (whether libre, or beer) is seen as inferior. My dad is just an example. We used to use a free AV on windows, but naturally got a lot of viruses,

No dispute there. In fact - the program reporter even raised this as an issue (in a clearly orchestrated attempt to discredit the idea).

Interestingly, your wording reveals your own beliefs... why would you naturally get a lot of viruses with free AV? Besides which, if I had AV which I felt didn't work, I'd swap to something else (paid or unpaid) too.

abhiroopb
May 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Sorry I didn't phrase it correctly. What I meant was that it was Windows, so we naturally got viruses :P. And we did practice safe browsing, etc. But all it takes is one rogue e-mail, or one bad link!

So yea my dad attributed it to the fact that we had a free AV (I think AVG, or Avast) and a free firewall (zone alarm). Honestly I don't know a bad one from a good one. I recently installed windows to dual boot, and I just put in the latest avast and comodo. I've heard they're both good but when it comes to configuration, etc, I just leave it. Since its a secondary installation, naturally I'm not going to pay for an AV but if I installed windows by itself, I may consider getting something thats paid. For one thing if I do get a virus I can always e-mail them and have a good rant :P