PDA

View Full Version : Can you make your computer sound like those in movies?

jasontan6
May 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM
The stereotypical computers in movies always have text scrolling out as though its being typed, along with the infamous blipping sound. For newer generation Vista-like computers as portrayed in the recent movie Untraceable, they also blip when windows are opened.

So I was googling about for some sorta app (Windows or Linux) - I found this Nullsoft Beep, but the sounds are a bit too old-fashioned. I posted this thread wondering if anyone else had used something like that before, only that it would sound cooler, like in the movies!

Surely having to hear all those sounds can get irritating over time, but hey, if you're bored and all of the sudden your computer turned Hollywood-class it could get pretty fun, eh? Whaddya say?

abhiroopb
May 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Its SO strange how almost everybody who is likely to go watch the movie is also likely to be owning a computer. They all know what windows looks like and how it works. So why have some fancy beeping? I think the movie Untraceable does the best job of potraying computers. True it is solely about computers so it ought to do that! I think the whole hollywood misconception stems from older movies (HACKERS!) when not a everyone had a computer and they were seen as these mystical objects. Remember Swordfish? How he'd get so depressed when his "code" failed and all the pretty cube's fell apart (signifying his failure!!!).

The only other stupid thing I find is how quickly and easily a computer can be "hacked". Like on the show Criminal Minds a computer was hacked while the lady was on the phone with the owner of the other computer, it was a split second thing.

That is probably the last bit of creativity directors have when it comes to computers. Everyone pretty much knows how windows opens/closes and that text is not going to be randomnly scrolling. However, they don't know how hacking works so that is one thing they can do weird things with :P...

Anyway back to your question. Have you tried the basic windows sounds? Or linux sounds? or compiz (has a lot of weird settings!).

Bubba64
May 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM
The stereotypical computers in movies always have text scrolling out as though its being typed, along with the infamous blipping sound. For newer generation Vista-like computers as portrayed in the recent movie Untraceable, they also blip when windows are opened.

So I was googling about for some sorta app (Windows or Linux) - I found this Nullsoft Beep, but the sounds are a bit too old-fashioned. I posted this thread wondering if anyone else had used something like that before, only that it would sound cooler, like in the movies!

Surely having to hear all those sounds can get irritating over time, but hey, if you're bored and all of the sudden your computer turned Hollywood-class it could get pretty fun, eh? Whaddya say?

Maybe the computer should ask what are you doing Dave like in 2001 space odyssey when your messing up Hal.

jasontan6
May 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM
So why have some fancy beeping?

Anyway back to your question. Have you tried the basic windows sounds? Or linux sounds? or compiz (has a lot of weird settings!).

Fancy beeping, coz it's fancy! :lolflag: Well it makes computing, more, err, interesting perhaps? Silence is golden, but there are times it would be cool to have some noise around you, in front of the computer :P

Windows sounds all seen, the windows appearing sound is possible I think, but the cool thing would be in the Terminal/Command Prompt where the lines of feedback are "typed out" with the blipping.

Compiz's sound settings yet to discover - didn't even know they have settings for sound till now xD

Maybe should have named this thread "Can you make your computer LOOK like those in movies" rather than "sound like".

Xerp
May 17th, 2008, 12:41 PM
No "special app" needed! If you have all the sounds and you're using KDE then just assign whatever sound you want to whatever action - minimise, maximise, etc. You can probably do it in Gnome too, but I haven't explored that yet.

jasontan6
May 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
No "special app" needed! If you have all the sounds and you're using KDE then just assign whatever sound you want to whatever action - minimise, maximise, etc. You can probably do it in Gnome too, but I haven't explored that yet.

Only thing left impossible right now is making the terminal type with blips. :(

Allochtoon
May 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
This will certainly help you:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-466262-highlight-.html

Mateo
May 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM
not to spoil the fun, but why in the world would you want your computer to behave like those in the movies? I'd put a bullet in my head if I had to listen to all those beeps.

abhiroopb
May 17th, 2008, 02:24 PM
withou tthe beep it does look pretty cool. JUST fortune (from the link) is pretty cool actually.

jasontan6
May 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM
not to spoil the fun, but why in the world would you want your computer to behave like those in the movies? I'd put a bullet in my head if I had to listen to all those beeps.

Mateo, I agree it can get annoying *especially* if one sits in front of the terminal for >90% of his Linux life. Actually I brought up this topic just because I was excited after watching a cyber-sci-fi film :)

This will certainly help you:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...ighlight-.html

Looks cool, will try it out soon!

-------------------------------------

Because everything they say on TV is real! :popcorn:

MaindotC
June 6th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I just saw Untraceable on Netflix and I thought it was pretty cool. Her description of how to implement an untraceable web server seems feasible, but I'm still not too sure - I think it would depend on the time update settings on each zombie DNS server.

The site was pretty cool - very 2.0. Simple, but 2.0. Also, regarding computers and movies, I love this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=811209).

Allochtoon
January 31st, 2009, 10:28 AM
is there btw a way to make every keypress in console make a silly beep?