PDA

View Full Version : Before I download 11 beta3, is OpenSuSe KDE4 usable

shuttleworthwannabe
May 17th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hi there
just heard that OpenSuSe 11beta3 has been released for testing. cliams to have squashed 700 odd bugs; this is great, I thought I would give it a try; beta1 did not even go beyond loading the desktop. I guess what I asking is:

1. Is the KDE4 desktop usable; no hanging menus etc
2. Does the OpenSuSe version come with built-in ATI fglrx drivers? If not is there a way to get this installed?

Thanks
S

Fatec
May 17th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Was very fast and very useable for me, which i found suprising.

So far OpenSuse 11 is exceeding all my expectations, fast, stable.

shuttleworthwannabe
May 17th, 2008, 08:08 PM
as i suspected, there are no ATI drivers ready for the 2.6.25 kernel, as far as I can see. Does anyone know how to get these installed in 11 beta 3; I have it running but screen is wavy and not clear.

thnaks

Erunno
May 18th, 2008, 12:13 AM
1. Is the KDE4 desktop usable; no hanging menus etc

Let me put it this way: It's as good as a KDE 4.0 based desktop can get. openSUSE developers backported some stuff from the 4.1 development branch but in the end it's still KDE 4.0 from january minus some bugs and plus some openSUSE specific branding. I'd probably wait for the final release of 4.1 though.

2. Does the OpenSuSe version come with built-in ATI fglrx drivers? If not is there a way to get this installed?

openSUSE does not ship closed source binary drivers by default, so no fglrx by default. You can easily enable the ATI repository in Yast and get the latest driver though.

shuttleworthwannabe
May 18th, 2008, 06:25 AM
erunnoo, thanks. could u show me how to enable the 'restricted' repo's in 11 beta3? as it stands, YaST has 3 repo's listed and none are about 'non-free'. there are guides for 10.3 but they do not work for 11beta3.
much appreciated,
S

Incense
May 18th, 2008, 05:55 PM
erunnoo, thanks. could u show me how to enable the 'restricted' repo's in 11 beta3? as it stands, YaST has 3 repo's listed and none are about 'non-free'. there are guides for 10.3 but they do not work for 11beta3.
much appreciated,
S

Have you tried the one click install for ATI? http://opensuse-community.org/1-click-collection#Drivers.

RedDwarf
May 18th, 2008, 06:32 PM
http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.0/repodata/repomd.xml -> File not found
http://http.download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.0/repodata/repomd.xml -> File not found

Don't expect ATI/NVIDIA to publish repositories before the final version.

shuttleworthwannabe
May 18th, 2008, 09:38 PM
RedDwarf is correct, nothing on 1-click owrks, and all those links are truly dead. I thought ATI funds SUSE development, so why would one want to to try SUSE and report bugs, when hardware is not even supported (by same manufacturers that support suse??) am i missing something?

Erunno
May 22nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
I thought ATI funds SUSE development, so why would one want to to try SUSE and report bugs, when hardware is not even supported (by same manufacturers that support suse??) am i missing something?

Novell is funding the development of radeonhd, a free driver for newer ATI cards which was started after ATI/AMD released the specifications for various cards. ATI is helping with the development. Novell has nothing to do with fglrx.

trmiv
May 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Wow I just tried beta 3 today myself, very very very nice! Does anyone know if I go ahead and install it now, will I need to reinstall when final comes out, or can I just download updates and have final like how it works with Ubuntu?

CM Xtasy
May 23rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
Wow I just tried beta 3 today myself, very very very nice! Does anyone know if I go ahead and install it now, will I need to reinstall when final comes out, or can I just download updates and have final like how it works with Ubuntu?

You should be able to update, but it's recommended to do a clean install for the final.

ingvildr
June 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
This is strange because apart from kde4 not having all the functionality I expect, it also looks ugly, yast2 qt4 port also looks ugly compared to its qt3 counterpart and also that plasma crashes regularly and just in general feels unpolished.

quickshade
June 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
People state that it's not usable but never list why......figures.