PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Menu/Taskbar not loading on startup and no ALT-F2

chsub
May 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I've been using 8.04 since release as a recent convert to Ubuntu from Windows and so far have been very pleased with it. However I have come across my first problem which I can't solve!

I booted up today only to find my menubar and taskbars do not start (I had one at the top and a launcher bar at the bottom of the screen). I tried an ALT-F2 to get a box up so I could attempt to manually start them but the alt-f2 shortcut does not work either.

I managed to get firefox going by placing a 'Launcher' shortcut on the desktop and have searched to forums for a solution to the problem but can't find anything that helps. Does anyone know how I get get my menubars back and why the alt-f2 shortcut would stop working?

Many thanks in advance

prshah
May 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know how I get get my menubars back

Try restarting the gdm; switch to virtual terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F1, login, give the command
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart, then switch back with Ctrl-Alt-F7; has it come up?

Why did it disappear? No idea, but it happens to me as well from time-to-time (rare). Restarting gdm has fixed it in every case.

chsub
May 18th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the reply, I tried what you suggested and after restarting the gdm I get thrown back to the ubuntu login screen. After logging in the system just hangs with a beige screen. A forced restart leaves me in the same position of having no taskbar/menubar... any other ideas?

Thanks

chsub
May 20th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I still can't get this working... is /etc/init.d/gdm the app the starts the taskbars?

presston
May 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
maybe

right key - add panel
right key on panel - add applet - ubuntu menu, task switch

AlbertTatlocksCap
May 20th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Ok - I posted this possible solutin in another thread but heer it is again

Ok - I had the same problem after a fresh install install of 8.04 onto a scsi disk (apparently it seems to affect scsi and USB devices)

I used this to get around it for now

CTRL+ALT+F1 (or CTRL+ALT+F2 if that doesn't work)

Login in text mode

sudo rm /tmp/.X0-lock

startx

It should then start up OK

Then set Automatic login by:

System>Administration>Login Window>Security and then check Automatic Login

Ok - this means that you can only login with one username and it will be automatic so no login window for password - but it works and I suspect/hope there will be a fix in the near future

Hope it helps

Hamstermerc
May 20th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I have a very similar problem. Once i login the ubuntu login music is all weird and stuttery and then Alt-F2 doesn't work, i have limited panel functionality and typing in most places doesn't work. Any help please

VMC
May 21st, 2008, 01:01 AM
I read where the command ' killall gnome-panel' brought it back to life.

Also check under your home directory .gconf Make sure its there. Someone copied another users to that directory and it worked.

ulefr01
June 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I've been using 8.04 since release as a recent convert to Ubuntu from Windows and so far have been very pleased with it. However I have come across my first problem which I can't solve!

I booted up today only to find my menubar and taskbars do not start (I had one at the top and a launcher bar at the bottom of the screen). I tried an ALT-F2 to get a box up so I could attempt to manually start them but the alt-f2 shortcut does not work either.

I managed to get firefox going by placing a 'Launcher' shortcut on the desktop and have searched to forums for a solution to the problem but can't find anything that helps. Does anyone know how I get get my menubars back and why the alt-f2 shortcut would stop working?

Many thanks in advance

startup in Xterm safe mode on Login screen
then you come in an terminal window
Enter : 'gnome-panel &'
you get your menu back

use 'System - Preferences - Sessions'
create a program 'gnome-panel'

Andyvan
June 8th, 2008, 08:52 PM
FYI: This just happened to me, but I'm running Gutsy. Running "gnome-panel &" brought up the rest of the desktop.

Events as I recall them:

Unable to spawn any processes
Rebooted to fix problem
Logged in
Saw a Gnome error message flash on the screen
No menu/taskbar
Control-Alt-Backspace, no Gnome error message this time, still bad
Completely shutdown (removed power), no change

I checked, and "ubuntu-desktop" still shows as installed.

The last set of changes I installed had some Evolution fixes

It would be nice to track down the *cause* of this.

-- Andyvan

LIFE-
June 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I've just had the problem of the taskbar vanishing. Hopefully this can help someone.

Changes made: install scsi controller, 1 scsi drive, uninstall of evolution (I *think* this is probably the cause - I uninstalled a few things I shouldn't have :S )

fstab also got messed up but I think that was to do with the addition of the new HDD.

Solution: I started synaptic from a terminal and installed "gnome-panel" and "gnome-applets" (and their dependencies - which includes some evolution thingy :D I'm new to linux so please excuse the lack of knowledge).

hayden92
June 12th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Thank you LIFE,
I had that exact same problem. By re-installing those packages my desktop is running normally again. Although I did get an error message saying that one of the files was not working. I simply continued and it worked fine. I am new to Ubuntu and Linux as well, maybe I should listen to the warnings more! Also, it is great to see that others have had the exact same problems as myself, and it's not just me!

jm101dm
June 13th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I too had uninstalled Evolution and installed Thunderbird and the updates were mainly for evolution. I will give this a go later tonight. My thread is at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5160008#post5160008
and I think updating the uninstalled Evolution created my problem.
Jeff

jm101dm
June 13th, 2008, 11:48 PM
startup in Xterm safe mode on Login screen
then you come in an terminal window
Enter : 'gnome-panel &'
you get your menu back

The above suggestion worked for me. Thanks, Jeff

1337hippo
June 26th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Ok - I posted this possible solutin in another thread but heer it is again

Ok - I had the same problem after a fresh install install of 8.04 onto a scsi disk (apparently it seems to affect scsi and USB devices)

I used this to get around it for now

CTRL+ALT+F1 (or CTRL+ALT+F2 if that doesn't work)

Login in text mode

sudo rm /tmp/.X0-lock

startx

It should then start up OK

Then set Automatic login by:

System>Administration>Login Window>Security and then check Automatic Login

Ok - this means that you can only login with one username and it will be automatic so no login window for password - but it works and I suspect/hope there will be a fix in the near future

Hope it helps

this solved my problem! thanks!

i had the same exact problem as the OP- just staring at my wallpaper with no panels and alt-f2 wouldn't work..
i wasn't as clever to make a launcher for firefox. i instead right clicked, made a new (empty) folder, and opened it in order to get into nautilus. then i went to /usr/bin/ and launched firefox manually. LOL i guess it accomplished the same thing.

the only thing i did today was install kubuntu-desktop (and the 500mb of dependencies) so i could try out KDE- when i logged out and switched my session to gnome, these problems presented themselves. so i just went into synaptic and removed everything KDE, hopefully i won't get anymore trouble.

Albert Que
May 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Meaby you are using compiz.
Try to go to compiz setup dialog, check "gnome-compatibility" (if unchecked) and make sure than you have the correct option for "run_key".

That was my problem, easy... when you know what to do. ;)