PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 release candidate released!

Pages : [1] 2

El King
May 17th, 2008, 08:09 AM
The first Release Candiate is OuT!
Life Hacker (http://lifehacker.com/391458/firefox-3-release-candidate-1-released)

Release Notes! (http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0/releasenotes/)

Let's try it out!

NightwishFan
May 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Nice! :guitar:

ghindo
May 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
When will it hit the repos?

prshah
May 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM
The first Release Candiate is OuT!
Let's try it out!

Unfortunately, it's not in the repositories yet, and FireFox's help->check for updates is greyed out; apparently in ubuntu the acceptable method is to upgrade through the update manger only..

barbedsaber
May 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
my check for updates button is greyed out.

vishzilla
May 17th, 2008, 10:53 AM
it should be in the repo in a day or two aint it?

JorritL
May 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I hope it's better than the one shipped with Ubuntu 8.04. It doesn't even start the default FF3.0B5! It just sits there "Starting Firefox", the text disappears and nothing happens. When I install Firefox 2 I can only start it as root...

For that, I am tempted to "downgrade" back to 7.10 as UB804 has given me nothing but headaches. Certainly not something that I would dare to call a release :-(

mech7
May 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM
:( yes its kinda aannoying the upgrade button is greyed out

retrow
May 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Firefox in Ubuntu has always been this way. The update button is always gray. Firefox updates show up as new update notification once it has been added to the repositories. It takes a day or two or three at the most. And if you can't wait, you can always remove the installed FF3 and get RC1 from Mozilla's website (in reverse order, of course).

klange
May 17th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Back in beta, Hardy always got FF3 updates within a week. I'll wait.

Half-Left
May 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Dudes, it's easy to try out if you can't wait, just download the tar and run it from the directory.

barbedsaber
May 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I don't think I will, until I know how many of my add-ons will work.

Nerrep
May 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Excellent. I hope gmail will be usable again...

Mazza558
May 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I don't think I will, until I know how many of my add-ons will work.

Out of all my addons, only Adblock Plus works.

rune0077
May 17th, 2008, 04:38 PM
The current Hardy version is already rock solid and very fast on my end. Is anyone seeing any major improvements for the RC?

sancho panza
May 17th, 2008, 06:36 PM
:( yes its kinda aannoying the upgrade button is greyed out

Thats bcos firefox (and other programs) by default do not run as root. If you run firefox as root from terminal, the update button is not greyed out, but clicking it finds no updates. I guess thats becos ubuntu firefox is customised to check for updates in the ubuntu repos.

Be patient, it should be updated in ubuntu soon (I hope :) )

May 17th, 2008, 06:39 PM
On Windows, it acts much better than 3b5, hopefully this will be avaliable as an update in Ubuntu

ghindo
May 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
How do I compile FF3 RC1 from source? If I do compile it from source, what are the drawbacks/benefits as opposed to installing from the repos?

Xfcn
May 17th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I'm going to let the HH team put RC1 through its paces before I let my systeem upgrade. Right now the main problem I'm having with Firefox on my Dell Inspiron E1505 is some pretty severe lags where it'll hang up the entire browser for five to fifty seconds. Usually Flash is somehow involved, but not always. Makes it annoying as hell to try to listen to Pandora.

sports fan Matt
May 18th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Has RC1 hit the repos yet?

forrestcupp
May 18th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Guys, I hate to break it to you, but it's never going to be in the main Hardy repos. Once they put on the feature freeze during the beta, that's it for the duration of that release. They only do security updates, etc.

Our best bet is to hope it gets into the Proposed updates repo.

janz84
May 18th, 2008, 12:36 AM
That sucks... is it the same policy when FF3 goes gold?

profjohn
May 18th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Excellent. I hope gmail will be usable again...

I tried it out and finally GMail was usable again, I think the Firefox b5 was better than Firefox 2 for everything apart from a couple of sites like GMail, now that's fixed too it's great. :)

kxmas
May 18th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Guys, I hate to break it to you, but it's never going to be in the main Hardy repos. Once they put on the feature freeze during the beta, that's it for the duration of that release. They only do security updates, etc.

Don't be silly, supporting only security updates on Firefox beta 5 for over two years would be extremely difficult and a waste of effort. I imagine that the codebase has changed significantly between beta 5 and rc1. Figuring out how to back port security patches from the main FF 3 branch to the beta 5 would be maddening.

They're supporting Firefox 3, not a specific release of Firefox 3

profjohn
May 18th, 2008, 12:57 AM

Why can't it go into the updates repo? With Firefox 2 they put all of those updates into the repos apart from those they deemed to have no security benefits. For it to be a successful LTS I can't see them sticking to a beta when a full release comes out. or even with this RC as it's much better than its predecessor.

Erunno
May 18th, 2008, 01:03 AM

Doubtful, as the major reasons for including a beta version of Firefox 3 was the ability to profit from upstream bug and security fixes as the support for Firefox 2 will run out at the end of the year and Canonical will have to support 8.04 for 3 years.

So, it's pretty certain that the final version of Firefox 3 will find its way into the update repositories over time.

drascus
May 18th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I just can't wait for the final new release of FF3. I just hope that Ubuntu gets it into the Repos quick when the final version is out.

rune0077
May 18th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I tried it out and finally GMail was usable again, I think the Firefox b5 was better than Firefox 2 for everything apart from a couple of sites like GMail, now that's fixed too it's great. :)

What was the issue with gmail? I have had no problem with it at all.

profjohn
May 18th, 2008, 01:29 AM
What was the issue with gmail? I have had no problem with it at all.

The scrolling was very slow, GMail wasn't the only site suffering from it but it was the most significant for me. Other sites also slowed slightly if GMail was open but the most significant effect was that scrolling in GMail was a slow process and bit jumpy.

rune0077
May 18th, 2008, 01:32 AM
The scrolling was very slow, GMail wasn't the only site suffering from it but it was the most significant for me. Other sites also slowed slightly if GMail was open but the most significant effect was that scrolling in GMail was a slow process and bit jumpy.

Hmm, I rarely use gmail, but I haven't experienced this. I'm still on the beta (Hardy version), just tested it, and scrolling seems fine on my end.

leamanc
May 18th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I'm sure it will be in the repos by Wednesday the 21st at the latest. Anyone saying Hardy will be stuck at FF3b5 is wrong.

I've got all my favorite extensions installed, fine-tuned and working nicely, after struggling somewhat with b3 and b4. All in all, I have *no* problems with b5, so if it's going to break extensions, I'd almost rather not upgrade!

Still wanting to try it out though, but I'll just do it on my Mac Book Pro running Leopard. :)

phaed
May 18th, 2008, 01:52 AM

I use the Older Version, which works fine.

Nerrep
May 18th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Hmm, I rarely use gmail, but I haven't experienced this. I'm still on the beta (Hardy version), just tested it, and scrolling seems fine on my end.The problems only occur for the people for whom Gmail has been updated to the latest version - Google have been rolling it out iteratively, rather than all at once.

Going back to the old version in the top right does fix it, but only until you log out and in again.

Glad to hear it fixes the problems.

babylon2233
May 18th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I can't stand keep using Firefox 3b5. It just keep freezing all the time. It is better if i call it Mozilla Freezefox. I hope update will be available soon

matthias_k
May 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with RC1 already? I am wondering if the following has been fixed/changed, things I considered quite annoying:

1) The huge font in download manager; ugly...
2) The fact that the one-click bookmark star icon will always save the bookmark in a folder which is not accesssible via the "Bookmarks" menu item (super-annoying, one has to go through "Organize bookmarks" first and move the bookmark...)

not to mention the various crashes and freezes I had been experiencing, particularly in conjunction with Adobe Flash Player.

Apart from that, FF3 is a very decent upgrade from version 2. But the lack of available plugins makes it absolutely useless for me unfortunately (I need Firebug for Web development).

david.rahrer
May 18th, 2008, 02:40 PM
The fact that the one-click bookmark star icon will always save the bookmark in a folder which is not accesssible via the "Bookmarks" menu item (super-annoying, one has to go through "Organize bookmarks" first and move the bookmark...)
I actually like this. It keeps me from creating a growing cache of unorganized bookmarks which I just keep using them from there. This way I have a nice incentive to stop procrastinating and put them in their proper places ;)

Making it an option would probably be sensible, if it isn't already (have you checked about:config?

noynac
May 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with RC1 already? I am wondering if the following has been fixed/changed, things I considered quite annoying:...2) The fact that the one-click bookmark star icon will always save the bookmark in a folder which is not accesssible via the "Bookmarks" menu item (super-annoying, one has to go through "Organize bookmarks" first and move the bookmark...)...

There is a very simple extension that does nothing more than add an "Unfiled Bookmarks" entry to the Bookmarks menu. This can be found at:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7269

BTW, I agree with you that this is something that should be included in Firefox at least as an option. Perhaps it is in RC1.

FuturePilot
May 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM

This would totally defeat the original purpose of shipping with Firefox 3 in the first place. One of the reasons was so that Firefox 2 wouldn't have to be maintained after its EOL. That's what happened with Dapper. By including the almost complete Firefox 3, it would make it very easy to upgrade to the final Firefox 3. Nothing would have to be recompiled against a new Xulrunner since the code base is already there. Whereas say Hardy shipped with Firefox 2. Then we would not see Firefox 3. There would be too much work involved in recompiling all dependencies against Xulrunner.

matthias_k
May 18th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Very good point.

olskar
May 18th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I have been told that Firefox RC1 will not be in the repos. When final version of Firefox comes, it will be in the repos.

Nerrep
May 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I have been told that Firefox RC1 will not be in the repos. When final version of Firefox comes, it will be in the repos.

http://i.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/ck/07/11/cranberry-sauce-ck-1673016-l.jpg

?

olskar
May 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM
http://i.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/ck/07/11/cranberry-sauce-ck-1673016-l.jpg

?

:shock:

FuturePilot
May 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM

?

wat? :-k

-grubby
May 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
wat? :-k

I'm not sure but...that looks good

Nerrep
May 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure but...that looks good

It's cranberry sauce.

Or more specifically, a request for a source for the information contained within the quoted statement :p

olskar
May 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
It's cranberry sauce.

Or more specifically, a request for a source for the information contained within the quoted statement :p

That would be bazhang on #ubuntu :)

askand: Firefox 3 rc1 is released! When can we expect to see it in the repositories?

bazhang: askand, never-->final likely though in short time

askand: azhang: ahaa I see, can I read about that somewhere?

bazhang: askand, it's a secret (shh!) gleaned from folks who work on ubuntu :)

rune0077
May 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Am I the only one who's still not entirely convinced that Firefox 3 final version will ever come out? It's just one of those I'll-believe-it-when-I-see-it things for me.

bradtem
May 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I have to say that's disappointing. While I understand the normal policy, I had thought that the decision to move to Firefox 3 while it was still in beta was itself an exception to the rules, driven by various factors, and as an exception on one of the most widely used applications in the world, it deserves further exceptions. Ie. replacing the beta with release candidates. (And of course the final, as expected.)

Many of us found an "ouch" with the default to ff3-beta. Now I like FF3, but it was a hard switch because it was missing so many add-ons. So I had to do the debate about going back to FF2 or sticking with 3. I bit the bullet and stuck with 3, but I did so hoping that my period of using a beta without all my add-ons would be short.

Now of course I am sure some "intrepid" person will release an independent .deb of the rc1 somewhere, even if the official team does not. Post it here if you do.

pluckypigeon
May 19th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I'm not enjoying this Firefox ride.

Fair enough the beta version was released with hardy development but it shouldn't be final hardys default web browser.

Most of the add-ons don't work with b5 yet, I can't see it getting any better with Rc1 or the final release.

I had to disable add-on compatibility so I could get a few add-ons working but that just made it completely play up so I had to re-enable it.

I've had a few problems with stability which I never had with Firefox2, the browser closes when viewing flash videos and when I right click on links it selects something from the popup menu. It selects whatever the mouse is over.

Maybe I should of uninstalled Firefox 3 and installed Firefox 2 but I don't like uninstalling default software on Ubuntu.

:(

FuturePilot
May 19th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I'm not enjoying this Firefox ride.

Fair enough the beta version was released with hardy development but it shouldn't be final hardys default web browser.

Most of the add-ons don't work with b5 yet, I can't see it getting any better with Rc1 or the final release.

I had to disable add-on compatibility so I could get a few add-ons working but that just made it completely play up so I had to re-enable it.

I've had a few problems with stability which I never had with Firefox2, the browser closes when viewing flash videos and when I right click on links it selects something from the popup menu. It selects whatever the mouse is over.

Maybe I should of uninstalled Firefox 3 and installed Firefox 2 but I don't like uninstalling default software on Ubuntu.

:(

You don't need to uninstall Firefox 3 if you want to use 2. They can be used side by side.

pluckypigeon
May 19th, 2008, 07:35 AM
You don't need to uninstall Firefox 3 if you want to use 2. They can be used side by side.

I knew that but fair comment:)

Is it me or has the opera craze died down?

Bubba64
May 19th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I actually like this. It keeps me from creating a growing cache of unorganized bookmarks which I just keep using them from there. This way I have a nice incentive to stop procrastinating and put them in their proper places ;)

Making it an option would probably be sensible, if it isn't already (have you checked about:config?

If you install toolbar buttons from Mozilla add ons you get a bunch of extra buttons one of which is an instant bookmark button that places the bookmark in the main section, Don't leave home without it. Also I assume evrybody here knows about nightly tester tools for enabling add ons in FF 3.

pluckypigeon
May 19th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Also I assume evrybody here knows about nightly tester tools for enabling add ons in FF 3.

Please elaborate. :)

Bubba64
May 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Please elaborate. :)

If you upgraded to Hardy and you still have add ons from Mozilla that are not working this link when downloaded from Mozilla will allow the nonworking add ons to work there is a button on the right bottom of add ons after the download, and restart which triggers this, I don't know how to install nonworking add ons then trigger them to work, only that this add on will enable ones that are not working, that are there after the upgrade.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=nightly%20tester%20tools

iGama
May 19th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I've been using the RC1 and it mutch better than the beta 5!

I think it should hit the repos util the final comes out.

pluckypigeon
May 19th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I think it should hit the repos util the final comes out.

yeah i'm fed up of waiting,:confused: apt-get updating every 10 mins

iGama
May 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Vote in brainstorm :

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/8808/

ghindo
May 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Vote in brainstorm :

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/8808/This is unnecessary; the devs will move RC1 into the repos soon enough.

iGama
May 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Really? wont they wait for the final?

meganox
May 19th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I'd really like a definitive answer on this so I know whether to wait or to go ahead and install rc1 from mozilla :neutral:

castrojo
May 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I don't understand where all this assuming and misinformation is coming from but yes, RC1 will be done soon. (I have confirmed with our FF maintainer, Alexander Sack)

(Definitely not today, as most of the ubuntu-mozillateam is in sessions at the Ubuntu Developer Summit, please be patient.)

Wobedraggled
May 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I don't understand where all this assuming and misinformation is coming from but yes, RC1 will be done soon. (I have confirmed with our FF maintainer, Alexander Sack)

(Definitely not today, as most of the ubuntu-mozillateam is in sessions at the Ubuntu Developer Summit, please be patient.)

Good news, I couldn't see them not adding it, if they weren't going to support it out to full release they wouldn't have included it.

hanzomon4
May 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Scrolling on certain sites is still atrocious, facebook being the worse

austin1030
May 19th, 2008, 03:45 PM
O M G!!! \\:D/ I can't wait to get actual release of Firefox 3.0 ):P

I just installed firefox 3.0 rc1 and guess what? it DOES run faster and takes up less memory just like Firefox team claims =D> I love this :biggrin:

You got to try it.

I deleted both firefox 2 and 3 beta 5 from my Ubuntu hardy and extract firefox 3.0 to /usr/lib/ and made a symbolic link to /usr/bin/firefox

This is so cool...:mrgreen:

christooss
May 19th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I think Firefox RC1 3.0 is better. I doesnt crash on flash movies anymore.

Great news.

Dr Small
May 19th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I just installed Firefox 3 RC 1 from the AUR for Arch. It works good so far and I like it :)

FuturePilot
May 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM
At least on the Windows version, the Clear List button is back in the Download Manager. :D (haven't checked the Linux version yet.)

atomkarinca
May 19th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Come on Ubuntu people, this is an important release. It was irresponsible to put beta software which is going to be frequently updated as a default if you're going to lag behind the official releases so much, and go on F*CKING HOLIDAY(!) to a developers conference when a new release of one of the most important applications in the whole distro comes out.

This release fixes a number of important bugs (and a particularly annoying flash bug). We can't just use the version from Mozilla.org because Ubuntu customizes the binaries and installs add-ons in a random selection from a multitude of paths that are terribly documented.

Hurry up FFS!

Patience, you must have, young Jedi!

tom56
May 19th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Come on Ubuntu people, this is an important release. It was irresponsible to put beta software which is going to be frequently updated as a default if you're going to lag behind the official releases so much, and go on F*CKING HOLIDAY(!) to a developers conference when a new release of one of the most important applications in the whole distro comes out.

This release fixes a number of important bugs (and a particularly annoying flash bug). We can't just use the version from Mozilla.org because Ubuntu customizes the binaries and installs add-ons in a random selection from a multitude of paths that are terribly documented.

Hurry up FFS!

You package it then. Hurry up, Steviant, we're waiting.

On a serious note, the developer's conference is not a "holiday". More importantly many of the people who work on Ubuntu do so as volunteers and they may have better things to do than be sworn at and ordered around.

We know the update will be out in a few days. There is no hurry.

kxmas
May 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM

On a serious note, the developer's conference is not a "holiday". More importantly many of the people who work on Ubuntu do so as volunteers and they may have better things to do than be sworn at and ordered around.

I agree, it is better that the devs talk about making Ubuntu better than actually make Ubuntu better. I like to talk about making Ubuntu better too!

bthoward
May 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM

Hurry up FFS!

You know if you're so upset and impatient with the Ubuntu developers I'm sure they'd be willing to refund your purchase price of Ubuntu in full. Any Ubuntu installs in a corporate environment would much rather that there be a delay and a testing phase before new releases are put into the repositories. These individuals actually PAY to have Ubuntu on their systems. Who do you think is going to take priority? You who (probably) installed it for free, or the corporate guys who are actually paying for the Ubuntu services. Ubuntu has put special enhancements into Firefox to make it install plugins properly and make it more user friendly for uncomfortable users. Why don't you sit tight and be patient for a little bit and say thank you when it comes out?

darrenn
May 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM

Hurry up FFS!

You can download it directly from the firefox site if your so desperate to try it out.

ssam
May 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
How do I compile FF3 RC1 from source? If I do compile it from source, what are the drawbacks/benefits as opposed to installing from the repos?

Because the Mozilla codebase builds many different applications and has many options, it is complex to use and learn. Please read these instructions carefully before attempting a build.
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Build_Documentation

Its probably one of the most difficult FOSS projects to build (i imagine openoffice.org is worse).

The advantage is that you can choose to turn many features on or off. might be able to make it slightly faster.

MountainX
May 19th, 2008, 10:42 PM
The current Hardy version is already rock solid and very fast on my end.
This has been my experience with FF3b5 too -- no problems at all. I'll wait until it hits the repos to try RC1.

Chokkan
May 20th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I'm also loving the beta. A few random crashes which could be attributed to Flash, but it's so much faster and slicker, I don't want to go back to FF2. Hats off to all involved.

aikishugyo
May 20th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I'll be delighted to see RC1. Been using Debian on my AMD64 system mostly since about the end of March, with FF2, because both FF3b2, Seamonkey and FF2 crash regularly or hang indefinitely on Ubuntu HH. Errors are various, the traces sometimes show glib errors, etc. Very frustrating. Before that the fonts had spacing of about 4 times the normal space character between words, entirely unusable. Total disaster. No help on the forums on that score, and no solutions to the crashing either.

I tried FF3pre from the mozilla site, as well as nightly releases. None of them even ran, crashing with fatal errors the moment they are started from the command line.

Steviant
May 20th, 2008, 07:41 AM

It is not my job to package up a new release of Firefox, whereas it is theirs, if the Firefox maintainers aren't able to commit the time to package up new releases then they shouldn't have put up their hands to be a package maintainer in the first place.

You'll notice I'm not putting my hand up to be a package maintainer for exactly that reason, see how easy it is to not **** people off by committing to do something and then dipping out on your responsibilities?

I can't see what these people would have to offer at a developers conference if they take a week to package up a few changes to a web browser that they themselves have made arbitrarily incompatible with the mainline version.

As I said before, it was irresponsible to package such an application by default knowing that it is in a beta state and will have to be updated more frequently than a release and then not commit the extra resources required to keep it up to date.

I wasn't aware however that being a volunteer puts you above reproach and allows you to be completely remiss in your responsibilities, I'll adjust my attitude appropriately and only talk in terms of reverent servitude about our perfect unaccountable volunteering overlords.

Bubba64
May 20th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Just downloaded FF3 RC1 to my desktop to check it out seems faster, the download recognized all my add ons in the Hardy version but of course not the plugins, but all my bookmarks are there. Looking forward to the Hardy download.

castrojo
May 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM
It is not my job to package up a new release of Firefox, whereas it is theirs, if the Firefox maintainers aren't able to commit the time to package up new releases then they shouldn't have put up their hands to be a package maintainer in the first place.

It's in QA and needs to be tested before it gets into the repositories. I didn't say nothing was being done (which is what you were assuming).

ujhony03
May 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Hurry up FFS!

d00d if you were able to wait up to today with b5, why can't you wait a few more days for RC1? It's not that serious.. relax.
You are using FREE software aren't you?; not saying they are of less quality than something you would pay for *cough* MicroShaft *cough*
Just take a chill-pill and wait for the gravyTrain to roll by :guitar:.

petoro
May 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM
There is a fact:

Windows users can install the programs at the very moment they are released, and very easily.

Linux users always have to wait, or install and risk to have broken links, nonfunctioning flash and thinks like that...

Petoro

ujhony03
May 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Here's another fact:

Window users have to get security patches almost every day for windows....

vexorian
May 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM
There is a fact:

Windows users can install the programs at the very moment they are released, and very easily.

Linux users always have to wait, or install and risk to have broken links, nonfunctioning flash and thinks like that...

Petoro
Your fact sounds a lot like BS.

funnypanks
May 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Your fact sounds a lot like BS.

i agree with his "fact"

Kokesh
May 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I've installed Windows$ into my Virtualbox for some reason and it was full of spyware after few hours! I forgot to install antivirus, antispyware and many other things to make it work without annoying popup windows. I just didn't think about it anymore, I was thinking about it as about the way to run certain Windows program. Thank god I don't have to use Windows anymore. After few more hours I found myself hunting some new spyware sh** with registry editor, searching internet for solution, installing newest anti-spyware softwares before I've realised that I could have had reinstalled Win maybe five times in the meantime :)
I'd rather wait for few days to get RC1 than anything from what I've mentioned above.
Sorry, this isn't much about this thread's theme "I want RC1 in this minute" :)

Kokesh
May 20th, 2008, 02:37 PM
and one more:
what about apt-get?

c:\Documents and Settings\msdude\Desktop\apt-get install msoffice2007-nonfree
?

I believe that I'll rather wait a little.

vexorian
May 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I've installed Windows$ into my Virtualbox for some reason and it was full of spyware after few hours! I forgot to install antivirus, antispyware and many other things to make it work without annoying popup windows. I just didn't think about it anymore, I was thinking about it as about the way to run certain Windows program. Thank god I don't have to use Windows anymore. After few more hours I found myself hunting some new spyware sh** with registry editor, searching internet for solution, installing newest anti-spyware softwares before I've realised that I could have had reinstalled Win maybe five times in the meantime :)
I'd rather wait for few days to get RC1 than anything from what I've mentioned above.
Sorry, this isn't much about this thread's theme "I want RC1 in this minute" :)
dude, the whole point of virtualbox is to have windows without access to the outer world, a windows whose only purpose is to run a couple of apps that can't be run yet on Linux and to make a couple of devices work. Yet you do not have to see its face all the day or risk your safety by using the internet from it, that's the reason virtualBox running windows is the best windows version yet. Don't ruin it giving it access to the web...

Kokesh
May 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Of course! I just didn't think about that at the time.

ujhony03
May 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
they said the same thing about the attom bomb.. :lolflag:

Mr. Picklesworth
May 20th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Here's another fact:

No, they get security patches the second Tuesday of every month and then neglect to install them unless they accept that the operating system does not do everything on its own.

There is a fact:

Incorrect. Here is an example (http://www.toribash.com/downloads.php) I noticed just recently. (See here, specifically (https://redmoonstudios.org/~aszlig/toribash/debian/)). Alas, Suse's one-click-install would make that much nicer...
That game has an apt repository which I can trust to be up to date. Whenever an update comes out, it gets downloaded by the central update manager. Cool, eh?

Hurry up FFS!

As a matter of fact, it was quite responsible to do so given that the alternative (FF 2.x) is a browser that will not be supported throughout Hardy's life. Upgrading major versions - particularly when said versions are very different in handling user settings - is a bad, bad thing mid-release.
FF3, however, will change very little from now until its completion and will be supported throughout Hardy's lifetime.

As for "The developers going on holiday", I think you need to take a good (https://launchpad.net/), long look (http://planet.ubuntu.com/) at how (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate) this works (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment) before commenting further on that topic.
Development conferences such as that (summit, actually) tend to be quite productive and important things.

tom56
May 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I agree, it is better that the devs talk about making Ubuntu better than actually make Ubuntu better. I like to talk about making Ubuntu better too!

If you think Ubuntu's not good enough then don't use it. No one's forcing you to.

I would be extremely worried if RC1 had been in the repos straight after it was released; it would imply that no testing had been done at all. I think a week is pretty reasonable, considering that this isn't a security fix. I would be more concerned if we were waiting a week for a security fix but we're not.

diegops
May 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
How to install it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5004136

kxmas
May 21st, 2008, 06:25 AM
If you think Ubuntu's not good enough then don't use it. No one's forcing you to.

Are there any other things that I already know that you'd like to tell me?

I think you missed the point. How can talking about improving Ubuntu be better than actually improving Ubuntu?

Nickedynick
May 21st, 2008, 07:22 AM
The short answer is it's not. But to effectively improve Ubuntu discussion needs to take place as to how to go about it. You can't expect the OS to improve without any planning.

pluckypigeon
May 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM
I think everyone is missing the point now. This thread is about Firefox not about people arguing. We are all excited on this release and we all can't wait.

Sand & Mercury
May 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM
I'm just glad that they're making progress on it. Beta 5 is working perfectly fine for me so I'm happy to wait till it's in the repos. I don't see the issue here... if you really want RC1 so badly you can just go and get it yourself.

Bubba64
May 21st, 2008, 09:42 AM
How to install it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5004136

I used the launch pad installation and the only side effect is that my links in Thunderbird will not load to destination, does anybody have an answer to this.

misfitpierce
May 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM
I would wait, I'm sure it's repo bound within a few days. I myself am using Opera 64 bit with no issues until Firefox 3 is out in June or whatever. Maybe stick with Opera just because I like layout :)

Exsecrabilus
May 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Go!: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-rc.html

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/05/20/firefox-3-release-candidate-released/

I hope it comes in soon in Synaptic/Update Manager, I've been waiting! XD

Samueltehg33k
May 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
its been out for a week i gotta say its meh its sort of slow but the stability is alot better

Exsecrabilus
May 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
LOL sorry, I just read the article on Tombuntu written yesterday so I assumed it was new. XD

Samueltehg33k
May 21st, 2008, 06:12 PM
LOL sorry, I just read the article on Tombuntu written yesterday so I assumed it was new. XD
its okay you were only off by 6 days no biggie

Steviant
May 22nd, 2008, 04:10 AM
You can download it directly from the firefox site if your so desperate to try it out.

No, you can't. They've made it arbitrarily incompatible in some way that means that no plugins work anymore if you use your own version. I'd be quite happy if there was any way at all to get it working, but apart from the breaking compatibility with vanilla Firefox they've also been remiss about documenting what they've done.

The only hope of getting it at this stage would be to download source packages of the previous version and then applying the patches to the current version.

The reason I'm annoyed is because they put a deliberately broken beta version in the release, knowing that releases were imminent and then according to someone else here effectively went on holiday straight after release.

I'm not the only person complaining about the mismanagement of this release of Ubuntu which seems to have been rushed out the door with no apparent advantages and a lot of half-finished half-supported applications.

Frankly, according to the license they shouldn't even be using Firefox name or branding from what I can tell since the browser they ship is not actually Firefox, nor can it be easily replaced with Firefox.

Steviant
May 22nd, 2008, 04:28 AM

I think the performance of the Ubuntu team on this entire release has been well and truly sub-par compared to their performance in the past. Something has changed in regards to quality, they've started focussing on something other than their users (a release date would be my guess) and quality is noticably worse.

Firefox is the most important application in Ubuntu bar none, it's rare to find a place where a bug fix could have a more dramatic impact on the usability than fixing the only viable web browser for a platform. Ubuntu's team have had fixes in hand for a number of usability issues including a major flash bug which crashes the browser and have been sitting on it for a week.

If this is how they handle updates with the single highest profile application on the desktop, then I shudder to imagine what things are going to be like 3 months down the track when they are focused on the next release.

I'm beginning to suspect that this is the tip of the iceberg, and yes I most certainly am looking at more responsible and responsive alternatives.

It's a shame that they seem to be losing their way, but I for one won't be going down with the ship with like the cheerleading squad here.

dvpdiner2
May 22nd, 2008, 04:34 AM
I had no issues with the version that I downloaded from the Mozilla website, I just dropped it in a folder and it worked fine. Many plugins still haven't been upgraded to support Firefox 3 (or even upgraded from beta 5 to RC1), so don't expect all of your plugins to be there and functional when you first load it.

Admittedly, it's annoying waiting for software to be updated in the repos, and for many programs, the repos are only updated when a new Ubuntu release is made. I'm glad that the decision was made to use the latest version of a program, even if that means that updates might be frequently released, and frequently delayed.

I only wish that they'd done the same for Blender3D, but again, I've never had problems with downloading the latest version from the program's website and running it.

luke16
May 22nd, 2008, 06:06 AM
If its been out for 6 days already, then why hasn't it show up in my synaptic reps yet?

Bubba64
May 22nd, 2008, 06:30 AM
If you use the launchpad download everything works including the plugins if they all worked in the Hardy FF 3.
http://blog.rosanegra.org/2008/05/20/how-to-install-firefox-3-rc1-on-ubuntu-hardy/
The only negative for me was the links in Thunderbird emails do not work, otherwise it overwrote the Hardy version with everything intact. If you still have extensions (add ons) that are are in your add on list in Firefox get nightly tester tools from add ons this will force everything to work.

vexorian
May 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Steviant, your posts annoy me for the reason you are drowning on a glass of water and "according to someone" you are paid to post ubuntu-smears in this site.

andrew200
May 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Firefox in Ubuntu has always been this way. The update button is always gray. Firefox updates show up as new update notification once it has been added to the repositories. It takes a day or two or three at the most. And if you can't wait, you can always remove the installed FF3 and get RC1 from Mozilla's website (in reverse order, of course).

seems to me they are still trying to get the kinks out

Dr Small
May 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
I think the performance of the Ubuntu team on this entire release has been well and truly sub-par compared to their performance in the past. Something has changed in regards to quality, they've started focussing on something other than their users (a release date would be my guess) and quality is noticably worse.

Firefox is the most important application in Ubuntu bar none, it's rare to find a place where a bug fix could have a more dramatic impact on the usability than fixing the only viable web browser for a platform. Ubuntu's team have had fixes in hand for a number of usability issues including a major flash bug which crashes the browser and have been sitting on it for a week.

If this is how they handle updates with the single highest profile application on the desktop, then I shudder to imagine what things are going to be like 3 months down the track when they are focused on the next release.

I'm beginning to suspect that this is the tip of the iceberg, and yes I most certainly am looking at more responsible and responsive alternatives.

It's a shame that they seem to be losing their way, but I for one won't be going down with the ship with like the cheerleading squad here.
Move to Arch then. Get the latest bleeding edge updates in the [unstable] repository, if you will.

Niniel
May 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Here's another fact:

Lol, we are a bit ignorant, aren't we?
I've never seen as many updates being pushed almost daily as with Ubuntu. Windows has NEVER EVER had this level of activity. So your comment is incorrect on two levels - first it wrongly claims patching activity for Windows that simply isn't there. Second, it pretends that Linux, being the greatest thing in the Universe, shows its greatness by not requiring frequent updates.
C'mon, see the light!
Updates are your friend!
I am very grateful to the Ubuntu developers for constantly updating their software, and for the Ubuntu OS to make it so easy to get these updates.
I consider this one of the advantages of Ubuntu over MS Windows.
Maybe, with some thinking, so will you.

Niniel
May 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
As for FF3, I am having serious doubts about this after I read yesterday that Mozilla is pursuing a project that would record FF users' web browsing and phone that data home during update checks for analysis by Mozilla, developers, and corporations. They are already collecting some data during update checks.
I just hope that derivative browsers, like IceWeasel, won't follow suit on that madness. Firefox is a great browser, but the entity behind it seems to be losing it.

Nerrep
May 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Lol, we are a bit ignorant, aren't we?
I've never seen as many updates being pushed almost daily as with Ubuntu. Windows has NEVER EVER had this level of activity.
This comparison might be vaguely relevant if the update manager only dealt with operating system updates, and not the associated programs.

Bubba64
May 22nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
If you use the launchpad download everything works including the plugins if they all worked in the Hardy FF 3.
http://blog.rosanegra.org/2008/05/20/how-to-install-firefox-3-rc1-on-ubuntu-hardy/
The only negative for me was the links in Thunderbird emails do not work, otherwise it overwrote the Hardy version with everything intact. If you still have extensions (add ons) that are are in your add on list in Firefox get nightly tester tools from add ons this will force everything to work.

I was able to fix the hyper link problem in Thunderbird through the configuration editor in Thunderbird with the second post of this thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=798848
I just updated my desktop via the Launchpad down load of the latest FF 3 release not yet in the Hardy repositories with no problems, and have all the add ons, plugins, and bookmarks in the latest release.

Exsecrabilus
May 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
If its been out for 6 days already, then why hasn't it show up in my synaptic reps yet?
Pidgin 2.4.2 has been out for weeks, yet it still hasn't shown up.

Just be patient, it'll come..... :D

Bubba64
May 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Steviant, your posts annoy me for the reason you are drowning on a glass of water and "according to someone" you are paid to post ubuntu-smears in this site.

+ 1000

bobbocanfly
May 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM

Most of the core Ubuntu developers (the guys that handle packages like Firefox and Pidgin etc.) are at the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Prague. This means they dont have any time to upload any new upstream versions.

Im pretty sure that Firefox updates will be uploaded into Hardy but im not sure about Pidgin. The developers try and keep Hardy as stable as possible by not introducing many new packages or updates. Normally its only security updates or high importance bug fixes, so you might have to wait until August for the next Pidgin upstream.

Asac (the leader of the Ubuntu Mozilla Team) says he will upload a new Firefox package when he returns from UDS (which finishes tomorrow), so i'd expect it to hit the repos in the next week or so.

K.Mandla
May 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM