PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's Arch Guide

jjte
May 17th, 2008, 05:20 AM
After much deliberation, I've decided that I won't go with a simpler distro, but I will rise to the challenge and try arch.

I have a basic idea on how to install it, but I really don't want to screw it up.

I have had a huge look around on google, but nothing seems to fit what I want.

Essentially, I want to replace my existing Ubuntu partition with Arch, while leaving my media drive, and my Windows partition intact.

After installing it, I want to get a GUI set up, preferably not KDE, about anything else is fine, and get my Atheros wireless card working.

If this is asking too much, please say so, and I'll continue working my way up the distro chain, until I can get Arch setup with perhaps a little less help.

smartboyathome
May 17th, 2008, 06:27 AM
You will have to set everything up yourself, Arch doesn't really hold your hand through it. Here is the beginners guide (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide).

jjte
May 17th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Haha, I got that, it does tend to leave you to it.

It was a hell of a lot easier than I thought, especially since I had already sorted out my partitions in Windows.

I've got a working CLI, I even got my wireless to work, and I have GRUB booting to Windows. my next aim is to get another, non root, user set up, and then a GUI.

Wireless was easier to set up than it was with my old RT2500 card in Ubuntu Edgy, I hated Edgy, my card worked fine in Dapper, then they went and broke the driver in Edgy.

Everyone I talked to made out like Arch was a lot harder than it is, it feels great now I have it set up.

Dr Small
May 17th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I thought it would be difficult too. It is just the fear of the unknown. It really isn't hard after all. :)

chucky chuckaluck
May 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM
it's not hard if you read most of the directions. it's just more detail than a "just add water" distro.

MisfitI38
May 19th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Yeah, I thought it would be difficult too. It is just the fear of the unknown. It really isn't hard after all. :)

I am proud of Arch's excellent (and improving) documentation. It allows one to stretch the distro further and mold it into what they may.
Good documentation is as important as good code which is as important as a good community.
:)

chucky chuckaluck
May 19th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Good documentation is as important as good code which is as important as a good community.
:)

amen to that. arch's documentation is both thorough and to the point (unlike some other thorough OS's). even as an end user, i found it a pleasure to install.

MisfitI38
May 19th, 2008, 03:09 AM
amen to that. arch's documentation is both thorough and to the point (unlike some other thorough OS's). even as an end user, i found it a pleasure to install.

I am glad you found it helpful. :)

UncertainGod
June 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I only had a couple of small issues when finishing my desktop and the people on the Arch forums really helped with speedy answers. The wiki is great but there are still a few areas that need expansion in it.

handy
June 5th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Everyone I talked to made out like Arch was a lot harder than it is, it feels great now I have it set up.

No they don't, we all call it the simple Linux; the one you can most easily understand is how most see it.

handy
June 5th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I only had a couple of small issues when finishing my desktop and the people on the Arch forums really helped with speedy answers. The wiki is great but there are still a few areas that need expansion in it.

You could expand those areas you know.

It is not hard, & there is GREAT help looking over your shoulder. :-)