PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Last hope for installing ubuntu

bebops_lost
May 17th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I have an hp tx1314 laptop and need to use linux on it, but it is incompatible with the moniter.
This means that no display of any kind at all can ever be seen on the computer screen after ubuntu is installed using the typical installation images downloaded from the site. If anyone out there has succesfully installed ubuntu on this model and can tell me how to do it, please tell me. I'll pay you if you want me to mail you a cheque ... seriously, I need linux for the work I'm doing and I'm desperate.

the only other way I can see this working is by the changing the display drivers on the installation image itself before installing , but I don't know how to do that. If the right drivers can be put on the machine during installation then that might solve the problem, but I can't solve the problem from bash since no amount of code will help if I can't see what's on the screen.
thanks for any help anyone can offer

Ericyzfr1
May 17th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I had a similar issue before, I tried to install Suse 10.3 and I could not install it....The only way I managed to install it was through their KDE4 live CD, but it kept crashing on me.
Every other distribution I tried worked just fine. You might want to try Mandriva One or DVD, Fedora live CD KDE or Gnome you never know....

prshah
May 17th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I have an hp tx1314 laptop and need to use linux on it, but it is incompatible with the moniter.
This means that no display of any kind at all can ever be seen

Take a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=442483&highlight=safe+video+hardy

Especially the link.

Looks like you will need the alternate installation CD (ie, not live CD).

nicedude
May 17th, 2008, 05:55 AM
You can specify that the install use a compatibility mode video driver at install setup such as vga or vesa and then fix your driver after install. If you want PM me and I will look up the relevent commands for you for FREE. You can also use the an alternate install disk to accomplish this.

nicedude
May 17th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I found a similar post from last year

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645801

and then I relized you started that thread too.

the people there asked you to disable plug & play in your bios and then try it and report back and I don't see that you did.

So you might try to disable plug and play and report back here. If you don't know how to change your BIOS settings I can help you if you PM me ( Click my name and select "send private message" ).