PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firestarter Configuration

LAKOTH
May 17th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Hi i installed the firestarter firewall but i dont know if its working on not. for one it does not show incoming or outgoing traffick at all its says its on though. how should i configure it or what should i do so that my firewall works correctly. Plus i did the Gibson test which said that my port one was closed and not stealthed what does this mean and should i be worried or do something?

brian_p
May 17th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Hi i installed the firestarter firewall but i dont know if its working on not. for one it does not show incoming or outgoing traffick at all its says its on though. how should i configure it or what should i do so that my firewall works correctly. Plus i did the Gibson test which said that my port one was closed and not stealthed what does this mean and should i be worried or do something?

Sorry, I do not use firestarter so cannot really help there. A closed port will return a response to a request; a stealthed port does not but in neither case can a connection be made from outside to your machine. So there is no need to be worried or do anything about it.

hyper_ch
May 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM
are you sure you need firestarter at all?

Meson
May 18th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Closed vs Stealthed is of debatable importance. Most likely you don't even need firestarter though, Ubuntu isn't installed with any open port.

Also, if you have a home router, or are on some sort of lan, the firewall test probably won't even touch your firewall ... you're testing one closer to the internet.