PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu/Kubuntu will not load at boot.

MXGamer101
May 17th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I am having problems installing ubuntu at boot time. the computer does not recognise the disk at boot time and instead jumps straight to windows XP. At first i thought it was just a bad disk, so i burned a new copy at a slower speed and retried with no luck. i tried using a copy of kubuntu that i previously burned, which also did not work. i used another computer to test both disks and they booted normally and the defect test showed that the disks are fine. I forced the bios to load from the CD/DVD drive only and not from network or hard drive, which did not work. The only thing that did work was when i booted off a DVD. My computer did not do this before, as i have sucessfully dual booted the PC with XP and Ubuntu but is there any solution to this without having to burn ubuntu onto a dvd.

Patb
May 17th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Gamer, it's only a half-satisfactory solution, but you might try creating a bootable floppy with Smart Boot Manager on it.
http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html

I had one (and only one) bootable CD which just would not boot without starting on a SBM floppy first. When the floppy starts, you can choose where to start the boot process from.

Cheers, Pat.

MXGamer101
May 18th, 2008, 12:03 AM
unfortunately i don't have a floppy nor an extra external boot source other than CD. thanks tho for the idea =)