PDA

View Full Version : Using smart package manager in Ubuntu hoary

retype
December 13th, 2004, 12:46 PM
What about using Smart (http://www.smartpm.org/) in ubuntu hoary by default? I am using it in warty and it works nicely (I found a bug in inserting new channels using the gui, but besides that...). It resolves problems installing packages that apt/synaptic can't handle. Maybe it would be a good idea, it is made in python and C. What is you opinion?

ps. If someone thinks it is dificult to install it I will give some more indepth help, but basically you need gcc and python-dev. Then execute python setup.py install, and then to insert a new channel you have to read the docs, but you need at least one deb-sys channel.

EdCrypt
December 14th, 2004, 12:11 AM
What about using Smart (http://www.smartpm.org/) in ubuntu hoary by default? I am using it in warty and it works nicely (I found a bug in inserting new channels using the gui, but besides that...). It resolves problems installing packages that apt/synaptic can't handle. Maybe it would be a good idea, it is made in python and C. What is you opinion?

ps. If someone thinks it is dificult to install it I will give some more indepth help, but basically you need gcc and python-dev. Then execute python setup.py install, and then to insert a new channel you have to read the docs, but you need at least one deb-sys channel.
A .deb in hoary would be cool.

jdong
December 14th, 2004, 12:34 AM
I would like this in the next Ubuntu release, after Hoary.

Smart is too new, and therefore too bleeding-edge to deploy in production environments...

jdodson
December 14th, 2004, 12:55 AM

cool, this would be good as a alternative to synaptic.

jdong
December 14th, 2004, 02:38 AM
*** Packages for Debian (under work!)

As soon as debian packages come out, I'll definitely do a Warty extras with this, so we can start testing...

However, I don't have much faith in this package manager... Especially like with Fedora, all Fedora KDE apps (Amarok, whatever) will be linked to Fedora's castrated KDE edition, which won't be binary-compatible with , say, Debian's KDE.

Heck you can't safely mix Hoary binaries with Warty's , how can you expect to mix across distributions??

EdCrypt
December 15th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Heck you can't safely mix Hoary binaries with Warty's , how can you expect to mix across distributions??
Ok, Let's go again...

Notice that this project is not a magical bridge between every distribution in the planet. Instead, this is a software offering better package management for these distributions, even when working with their own packages. Using multiple package managers at the same time (like rpm and dpkg) is possible, even though not the software goal at this moment
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=33113&postcount=9

jdong
December 15th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Yeah.... The first part is what I'm saying. The second part, I don't agree with.

Try installing kdelibs from Fedora with SMART... Look at what a mess is left in /usr -- all the so's are in the wrong places, it's a big mess!

Now, if we had this thing in Hoary, we'd have users here reporting strange problems with packages, and we wouldn't know where to start with helping.

Also, smart is in BETA status right now -- it's definitely not going to be ready for production use in Hoary.

I would love to see this for the next release though... And I will make experimental Ubuntu Warty/Hoary debs as soon as I see Debian packages released on Smart's site... We as the community need to test and tweak this powerful tool!

EdCrypt
December 15th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Yeah.... The first part is what I'm saying. The second part, I don't agree with.

Try installing kdelibs from Fedora with SMART... Look at what a mess is left in /usr -- all the so's are in the wrong places, it's a big mess!

Now, if we had this thing in Hoary, we'd have users here reporting strange problems with packages, and we wouldn't know where to start with helping.

Mixing packages from diferent distros, i agree, is not good (that's why many people say that rpm is doomed, it's ease to mix packages from fedora, mandrake, suse, conectiva, etc etc searching things in the internet). But do you installed kdelibs from Fedora with SMART? In that quote that i taked from the site, it's not possible yet and not the focus of the project.
Using Smart on Hoary you will get only Hoary packages.
And yes, it is not stable yet. But i think it could be in the hoary's universe.
Hey, and the Update Manager, Upgrade Notifier and Application Installer? Aren't it writen little time ago? will it be keep on the hoary until the release?

jdong
December 15th, 2004, 01:25 AM
And yes, it is not stable yet. But i think it could be in the hoary's universe.
Hey, and the Update Manager, Upgrade Notifier and Application Installer? Aren't it writen little time ago? will it be keep on the hoary until the release?
Err, those are EXTREMELY basic and trivial wrappers around synaptic... they don't taint untested/unknown repositories into Ubuntu, and most importantly, they are simple projects that anyone can write in a month's time!

EdCrypt
December 15th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Err, those are EXTREMELY basic and trivial wrappers around synaptic... they don't taint untested/unknown repositories into Ubuntu, and most importantly, they are simple projects that anyone can write in a month's time!
Well, but i hope you don't think anymore that SMART do that...

retype
December 18th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Smart is not beta, the first stable has been released and I used it without problems. I think it could work as the only package manager, doing everything including updates in hoary. There is already a kde applet that does this and ubuntu could use the code they have developed to make a gnome applet.

I WILL SAY THIS AGAIN, WITH BOLD AND CAPS, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO INSTALL FEDORA PACKAGES IN ANY DEBIAN AND GET AWAY WITH IT, THIS IS A REALLY STUPID THING TO DO.

But I really think that using it in ubuntu would give an advantage to the hole system package management. I really does the things apt should be doing, but in a clean and portable (but not hybrid (this second level parenthesis is to remind everyone to not mix apt-rpm or yum channels in an Ubuntu dist)) solution, and the update applet could be used by others distributions helping the hole linux community.

jdong
December 18th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Does SMART act as a frontend over the other packaging tools, like Synaptic or KPackage is in relation to APT or RPM, or does SMART actually handle dependency resolving and REPLACE APT (Like up2date)?

If it was just another better frontend, then I'd have more tolerance for Smart.

asimon
December 18th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Does SMART act as a frontend over the other packaging tools, like Synaptic or KPackage is in relation to APT or RPM, or does SMART actually handle dependency resolving and REPLACE APT (Like up2date)?

No, Smart is not another interface to apt like synaptic, you would use it instead of apt. You could see it as a frontend to dpkg, like yum is a frontend to rpm. Smart doesn't use apt, it's only dependency for deb support is dpkg.

Smart implements new and better algorithms than yum, apt, or urpmi to resolve dependencies. That is what Smart is all about, a more intelligent dependency resolver.

There are some case studies on the Smart website which show real-world dependency problems which yum and apt failed to resolve, but smart resolves them.

jdong
December 18th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Ok, after reading some of the documentation, I'll let down my hostility shield...

**Making debs of SPM**

jdong
December 18th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Ok, I have preliminary debs made. I'll think about what to do with them.

jdong
December 18th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Smart Package Manager debs uploaded to my Warty-extras-staging area.

deb http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net/ubuntu warty-extras-staging contrib universe

ubuntu_demon
December 18th, 2004, 05:43 PM
i installed the debian package from smartpm.org on my hoary. It doesn't work. A hoary package would be handy.

smart output :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in ?
from smart.const import VERSION, DEBUG, DATADIR
ImportError: No module named smart.const

jdong
December 19th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Does my warty .deb work in Hoary? Hoary should be 100% backwards-compatible with my build.

ubuntu_demon
December 19th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Does my warty .deb work in Hoary? Hoary should be 100% backwards-compatible with my build.
I'll try and otherwise I'll just build the source or something :).

retype
December 24th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Building from source is easy, but if someone made a debian package it will be easier, I made a script to import all sources from source.list to smart, If someone wants me to help in making it in the official package I would be very proud to help.

HiddenWolf
December 25th, 2004, 11:51 AM
cool, this would be good as a alternative to synaptic.

Alternative to the best software-package I've ever seen....
Blasphemy

EdCrypt
December 26th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Smartpm .deb avaliable:
http://people.labmice.com.br/rst/stuff/debian/

rwabel
January 3rd, 2005, 05:43 PM
i installed the debian package from smartpm.org on my hoary. It doesn't work. A hoary package would be handy.

smart output :

I get the exact same error message with the debian package from the smart homepage. I then took the warty backport even I run hoary. Same problem. Don't know what the problem is. Anyone achieved make it run under hoary?

jdong
January 3rd, 2005, 10:47 PM
Smartpm .deb avaliable:
http://people.labmice.com.br/rst/stuff/debian/

Without sources or , more importantly, the necessary diff.gz debianized patch to the source. VERY helpful...

nuopus
January 5th, 2005, 05:55 PM
*** Packages for Debian (under work!)

As soon as debian packages come out, I'll definitely do a Warty extras with this, so we can start testing...

However, I don't have much faith in this package manager... Especially like with Fedora, all Fedora KDE apps (Amarok, whatever) will be linked to Fedora's castrated KDE edition, which won't be binary-compatible with , say, Debian's KDE.

Because it allows you to specify priorities to each repository or channel. I have added hoary and made it top priority. It does not mess anything up since it always takes from the hoary repository ... and if it is not in hoary it will go to the warty ones. You can also specify priorities to individual packages and say ... only update mplayer from THIS repo whenever you do an update. You can force a version with synaptic ... but when you update there are no priorities and will go to whichever one.

rwabel
January 5th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Because it allows you to specify priorities to each repository or channel. I have added hoary and made it top priority. It does not mess anything up since it always takes from the hoary repository ... and if it is not in hoary it will go to the warty ones. You can also specify priorities to individual packages and say ... only update mplayer from THIS repo whenever you do an update. You can force a version with synaptic ... but when you update there are no priorities and will go to whichever one.

Did you achieve to make it work under hoary? Can you explain the steps?
thanks

nuopus
January 5th, 2005, 08:03 PM
thanks
Yes. Just add a new channel with http://archive.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu as the location, warty as distrib and main restricted universe multiverse. I then set the priority of the warty channel to -10 and the priority of the hoary one to 1.

After that you then have to go and hit the reload button. You can then do a full upgrade and it will only upgrade from warty since the priority of it is so much higher than warty.

Another advantage is you can set an individual package from warty to higher than the hoary ones so when you upgrade you only get that ONE package upgraded from warty. Works very nice for buggy packages that you want to keep the warty version for.

nuopus
January 5th, 2005, 08:43 PM
thanks
I think I am going to get brave and try to add an rpm repository to it too just to see if it will work. I should though ... as long as I set the priority to -10 and change warty to -9 or something. Will let you know if it works!

rwabel
January 5th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Yes. Just add a new channel with http://archive.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu as the location, warty as distrib and main restricted universe multiverse. I then set the priority of the warty channel to -10 and the priority of the hoary one to 1.

After that you then have to go and hit the reload button. You can then do a full upgrade and it will only upgrade from warty since the priority of it is so much higher than warty.

Another advantage is you can set an individual package from warty to higher than the hoary ones so when you upgrade you only get that ONE package upgraded from warty. Works very nice for buggy packages that you want to keep the warty version for.

That sounds great, my problem is already with smart. How the heck did you make smart work? I always get the same message:

jdong
January 5th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Please stay on the topic of discussing Smart and Hoary, problems with installing smart.

nuopus
January 5th, 2005, 10:25 PM
That sounds great, my problem is already with smart. How the heck did you make smart work? I always get the same message:
go to the console and type sudo smart --gui. You can also create a .desktop file and have it execute gksudo smart --gui so that you can just click an icon and run it.

rwabel
January 5th, 2005, 10:56 PM
go to the console and type sudo smart --gui. You can also create a .desktop file and have it execute gksudo smart --gui so that you can just click an icon and run it.

that's what I tried.
rwabel@RALPH:~/disksearch-1.1.0 $ sudo smart --gui
Password:

I don't know if I need to configure something or change something.

nuopus
January 6th, 2005, 01:06 AM
that's what I tried.
rwabel@RALPH:~/disksearch-1.1.0 $ sudo smart --gui
Password:

I don't know if I need to configure something or change something.

Sounds like a Python error. Try removing and re-installing python and smart.

rwabel
January 6th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a Python error. Try removing and re-installing python and smart.

thanks for the help. The problem was that I took the wrong smart version. I had to take smartpm version and not the posted repository for warty.

Now I can start trying it out

mattblack_uk
June 4th, 2005, 03:00 PM
So... just run that by me again. If you got it to work on Hoary, where did you get the package from? I've tried the universe package, the debian package which is linked from the www.smartpm.org page, and compiling from the debian source from the same place... all give me errors similar to ones already mentioned here. I installed all dependancies needed. The debian package wouldn't install as it wouldn't let me install python2.3-gtk2 as python2.4-gtk2 was already installed.

When I installed from source, all I did was a make, and make install. It didn't create a make uninstall, so how do I get rid of it? I'm quite a newbie and haven't got a clue.

rwabel
June 4th, 2005, 03:46 PM
So... just run that by me again. If you got it to work on Hoary, where did you get the package from? I've tried the universe package, the debian package which is linked from the www.smartpm.org page, and compiling from the debian source from the same place... all give me errors similar to ones already mentioned here. I installed all dependancies needed. The debian package wouldn't install as it wouldn't let me install python2.3-gtk2 as python2.4-gtk2 was already installed.

When I installed from source, all I did was a make, and make install. It didn't create a make uninstall, so how do I get rid of it? I'm quite a newbie and haven't got a clue.
I'm not sure about where I got the packages now. But doesn't hoary come with a package?

mattblack_uk
June 4th, 2005, 04:28 PM
No, its in the Universe repository - and doesn't work.

rwabel
June 4th, 2005, 05:24 PM
No, its in the Universe repository - and doesn't work.
I've version 0.29.2 from universe. What doesn't work or what is the problem witht he package? I can't remember how to use it :-)

mattblack_uk
June 4th, 2005, 08:53 PM
OK... I've reinstalled the 0.29 version from Universe. If I run:

sudo smart --shell

then it runs fine, however if I run:

sudo smart --gui

then it gives me the following:

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

File "/usr/bin/smart", line 184, in ?
main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/usr/bin/smart", line 153, in main
forcelocks=opts.ignore_locks, loglevel=opts.log_level)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/__init__.py", line 109, in init
iface.object = createInterface(ifacename, ctrl, command, argv)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/interface.py", line 144, in createInterface
smart = __import__("smart.interfaces."+xname)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 29, in ?

File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 37, in ? from _gtk import *
RuntimeError: could not open display

rwabel
June 5th, 2005, 12:55 AM
that's strange, because I'm using the same version and it's working fine. I really have no clue what this error message is. did u try to google after it?

mattblack_uk
June 5th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I tried googling for this:

but it came up with many different responses and as somebody relatively new top linux, I struggled to understand any of them. Some were talking of problems with permissions and X server but to be honest, most of it went straight over my head...

I tried reinstalling python and smart, but it made no difference to the error....

guess I'm a bit useless at this kind of stuff....

rwabel
June 5th, 2005, 11:33 PM
I don't think the problem with smart is related with

It seems more that something is wrong configured within smart

With the following command you can use smart without any problems? This would mean that smart is working but only in shell!

smart --shell

maybe u are also missing channels. what does this command say

smart channel --show

with the command

smart channel --add

you can add somehow channels.

I've no big experience with that tool and I've never used it.
Maybe there is someone around who know SMART a bit and can explain the error message. And maybe some of my adived can help u.

Good luck and let me know

mattblack_uk
June 6th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Ok.. I'll have a look at the channels tonight, but as far as I understand, the Hoary package has the channels already set up. If it continues to fail, then I may try the package in breezy.

mattblack_uk
June 7th, 2005, 12:03 AM
I've worked out how to add the Hoary channels, and I can get smart working via the shell no problems, but still can't get the gui. I'm guessing that its a problem with python-gtk2...

I've learnt a lot tonight - like what to do when I accidentally remove myself from the sudo group!
I won't be doing that again!

rwabel
June 7th, 2005, 12:19 AM
did u try to completely remove python-gtk2 and reinstall it?
what version of it do u have installed?

SymGeosis
June 12th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Has anybody gotten this to work with the backports repositories?

Getting SmartPM to work with the other repositories was cake but it appears to not know how to handle "Release" or "Release.gpg" being in "main/i386-binaries." I've tried modifying various fields via the shell and the gui to correct this but as of so far have been unsucessful.

Any suggestions?

geearf
August 4th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I've just read this topic, and their website, this seems very nice, if it really resolves the problems it lists (which of course I already had).

Any news for this on breezy ?