PDA

View Full Version : why minimal?

chucky chuckaluck
May 17th, 2008, 01:37 AM
i used to make fun of people who used computers to do things like shopping. i used to think "why don't you go into the jungle and kill something with your own hands and eat it for supper - raw?" sadly, laziness and a weakness for my own enjoyment has lead me down the same path of those i once mocked, however, there is still enough hunter-gatherer, stick driving, tequila-squeezed lime and salt maguarita drinking, roll your own blade clubs left in me to not want to go all out and turn into a bowl of plugged-in jello. i guess that's why.

ok, i lied. minimal is faster and i value my impatience over my convenience. *sniffs* gotta run. i think there's a wild boar in the back yard.

aimran
May 17th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I lol'd a little

rune0077
May 17th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I buy stuff on the net. And I buy stuff the "ol' fashioned way" as well. So it's a little bit of both for me. Haven't killed anything with my bare hands in quite a while, though.

amingv
May 17th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Well, in my experience when meat goes on sale, people kill with their bare hands to get it. (It surprises me what people do for a penny.)

Bubba64
May 17th, 2008, 02:22 AM
i used to make fun of people who used computers to do things like shopping. i used to think "why don't you go into the jungle and kill something with your own hands and eat it for supper - raw?" sadly, laziness and a weakness for my own enjoyment has lead me down the same path of those i once mocked, however, there is still enough hunter-gatherer, stick driving, tequila-squeezed lime and salt maguarita drinking, roll your own blade clubs left in me to not want to go all out and turn into a bowl of plugged-in jello. i guess that's why.

ok, i lied. minimal is faster and i value my impatience over my convenience. *sniffs* gotta run. i think there's a wild boar in the back yard.

Don't forget that a slow roast for the boar is better tasting then a fast sear. You want that fat in the meat for the game flavor.

I put Xubuntu in my gnome Hardy set up and found it to run at the same speed, but it isn't pure Xubuntu, and it is on an acient IBM thinkpad
running 700 mhz and 256 ram, I am lucky to get it run Hardy at all. Although I still have some freeze issues, I am just waiting for the hard drive to just die and then get another one at Free Geek our local computer re cycler and linux link, another used hard drive might be 10$.

rune0077
May 17th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Well, in my experience when meat goes on sale, people kill with their bare hands to get it. (It surprises me what people do for a penny.)

Erh? What now? I'm pretty sure it was the butcher who killed it (and not with his bare hands).

fissionmailed
May 17th, 2008, 02:30 AM
It depends for me, if I want something ASAP, I buy it in person. If I can wait and it's cheaper to buy it online, I'll order it. Most of the time there's never a "best way" for something all the time, it depends on a lot of things. Personally, I like making stuff myself, love cooking and dislike even eating out, save tacobell. ;)

init1
May 17th, 2008, 02:32 AM

Yeah I go into phases when it comes to computing. I'm using Hardy now because I like the higher resolution and wireless ease, but it's so much larger and slower than my Debian Etch installation. Ironically, I have to do less messing around in Etch to get it to do what I want it to do. All I have to do is install it, get some apps, edit a config file, and it's ready to go. It acts predictably and doesn't give me too many problems. With hardy however, some of the apps I enjoy from Etch either don't exist or don't work. Also Alsa keeps acting weird and my brightness is changed without my consent a lot.

Bubba64
May 17th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Yeah I go into phases when it comes to computing. I'm using Hardy now because I like the higher resolution and wireless ease, but it's so much larger and slower than my Debian Etch installation. Ironically, I have to do less messing around in Etch to get it to do what I want it to do. All I have to do is install it, get some apps, edit a config file, and it's ready to go. It acts predictably and doesn't give me too many problems. With hardy however, some of the apps I enjoy from Etch either don't exist or don't work. Also Alsa keeps acting weird and my brightness is changed without my consent a lot.

I always tick alsa/oss in synaptic on every distribution, but my computers are all old and run on basically generic drivers which are always detected.

amingv
May 17th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Erh? What now? I'm pretty sure it was the butcher who killed it (and not with his bare hands).

It's not precisely the meat what they kill... But I guess you'd need to be a retail employee to understand.