PDA

View Full Version : Didn't know Sugar (OLPC) was in the repos!

Ub1476
May 17th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I just read this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7405346.stm), which note that Sugar is in the Hardy repos.

I'm running it now and it's really cool. It certainly need some fine tuning though, but you get used to it fast!

I'm checking out this "pippy activity" now, which let's you see the source code of something you can then run. You can also change the source code. It's really fun actually.

I suggest everyone try it!

Sephoroth
May 17th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Huh, I didn't realize that either. I feel like trying this out now XD.

On a side note hopefully countries don't stop ordering Windows based systems in place of the Linux ones....

aimran
May 17th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I just found my new UI

retrow
May 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I installed it and launched it through terminal. It opened a screen as seen in OPs attachments, but with nothing within the sections of that circle. Any tips on what needs to be done to get it working?

amar
May 17th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Though I havent played with it myself, I think that the circle is your currently running apps/taskbar, to launch programs it is the circles at the bottom? Someone who has actualy played with it, please correct/confirm

chucky chuckaluck
May 17th, 2008, 01:47 AM
it's fun to use, for about three seconds.

init1
May 17th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Neither did I. I did try the live CD, which is probably all I need to experience. It's certainly a new interface, but I see no problem with my current set up.

amar
May 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
The main thing I learnt about the interface, if you have any trouble, hand it to a 5yr old. They have no problem picking up the new methods.

Does anyone know if sugar with ubuntu supports the mesh networking like the OLPCs?

(hmmm Sugar with your ubuntu - well i prefer sugar with my coffee, there might be something there.)

Moustacha
May 17th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Just had a quick glance at the sugar in the repos, but does it have that "Sonar" app. It sends a sound out of the speakers and picks it back up in the mic and makes a map according to the echoes, or know of any other apps that do this?

Ub1476
May 17th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I installed it and launched it through terminal. It opened a screen as seen in OPs attachments, but with nothing within the sections of that circle. Any tips on what needs to be done to get it working?

There are hot corners. Drag your mouse to the top-left and you'll get the border.

The main thing I learnt about the interface, if you have any trouble, hand it to a 5yr old. They have no problem picking up the new methods.

Does anyone know if sugar with ubuntu supports the mesh networking like the OLPCs?

(hmmm Sugar with your ubuntu - well i prefer sugar with my coffee, there might be something there.)

When I click on "neighborhood" I can see a few other sugar users. I can invite or join them in an activity and such.

yssida
May 17th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I installed it. You can even choose it as a session on GDM.

bufsabre666
May 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Just had a quick glance at the sugar in the repos, but does it have that "Sonar" app. It sends a sound out of the speakers and picks it back up in the mic and makes a map according to the echoes, or know of any other apps that do this?

holy crap is there really an app that does this? i would think it would need at least 3 mics for triangulation

Ub1476
May 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I actually got inspired to learn Python now.

Those governments of those developing countries most be blown out of their mind for thinking that XP is better for those kids.

Peter6218
May 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM
it's fun to use, for about three seconds.

You got it dead right. It's a useless but cute interface.

Steveway
May 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Just tried it out, too.
It's really nice and very fluid and easy.
The integrated Python-editor is pretty good and Sugar seems to be good if you can't concentrate on your programming-tasks.
After the meal I'll quickly switch to it and continue on my adventure-engine.

Lostincyberspace
May 19th, 2008, 11:14 PM
You Suck!