PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ALSA vs PulseAudio w/Heron and Audigy 2

FawkesRSP
May 16th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hey, I'm pretty new to Linux and I just set up Heron on my older rig with an Audigy 2 sound card. In my sound settings everything is set to autodetect however I've noticed that when I try to set it manually PulseAudio is the only option that works so I'm assuming thats what is being used. I have never installed an audio driver, just used system settings from Ubuntu's install.

My sound for most things works. I had a bit of an issue with flash audio working but that was fixed when I installed libflashplugin or something with a similar name.

My problem now is getting Ventrilo to run through Wine. I was able to launch vent and connect to servers but my sound isn't working. When I went to configure the sound the options were to use ALSA, OSS, and a few others but no SoundPulse.

So my questions are: Can I make Wine use SoundPulse? Can I make my Audigy2 work with ALSA or OSS with a driver fix? And does anyone have a good link to a guide explaining the differences between ALSA/OSS/SoundPulse/whatever else exists?

Thanks,
Ryan

FawkesRSP
May 17th, 2008, 02:49 AM
bump