PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Went back to 7.10

lionel47
May 16th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Hi all,

After two weeks of messing with Hardy, I went back to Gutsy. The thing that finally got to me was the wireless bug that's been documented. I tried all the fixes but nothing worked. While I am sorry it had to be that way, it did occur to me how much I've come to depend on my Linux machines.

When I first started playing with Linux about 10 years ago, it was just something to fool around with. I used to spend hours getting it to work. About 5 years ago, I installed Gentoo over the course of a week on an old laptop.

Now, however, I actually use my computers to do work and while I still enjoy messing around with the technical stuff, I don't have the time to mess around like I used to. So, in the interest of getting work done, I reverted to Gutsy.

Actually, I went with Fedora on my laptop and, so far, it seems to be working fine. We'll see.

Can one have allegiance to two distros at the same time? It feels like I'm cheating on Ubuntu.:confused:

Pumalite
May 16th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I just installed Fedora 9. I don't like it too much.

bobnutfield
May 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I just installed Fedora 9. I don't like it too much.

Pumalite,

Just curious. I read of lot your posts and you certainly appear to be quite learned. Why don't you like Fedora 9? I installed it as beta the same time I installed Hardy as beta. I followed both through to their stable releases. I have had nothing but trouble with Hardy and still do. For goodness sake, even Bash freezes on me. There is nothing unusual about my hardware I am running Hardy with (Toshiba laptop, AMDX2, ATI, Realtek wireless). Even now I still get the occasional freeze with Hardy.

Installed Fedora 9 on another laptop with a little weaker specs (Toshiba, CeleronM, Intel Graphics, external wireless). Fedora has yet to freeze or show any signs of instability. The two distros graphically look nearly identical with almost the same stock software and both use Pulse audio and come default with FF3 B5. Fedora comes with the 2.6.25 kernel with a few more advanced features than Hardy. Fedora has so far been rock solid, and I just can't seem to get Hardy stabilized yet

So, because I respect your opinion, I would just like to know your reasons for not liking F9. Package management? Config features?

Regards

Bob

Pumalite
May 16th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Maybe it's because it is new to me. I have 4 Hardies and they have been great to me. Never a problem. Installing an Nvidia driver in Fedora is still a mystery. It comes with an Nvidia driver good only for 2D acceleration( in testing). Try to get codecs for Fedora. If they exist; they are under double key.

bobnutfield
May 16th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Just one more little note, with the Livna repo enabled, it is:

yum install kmod-nvidia

Regards

Bob

bobnutfield
May 16th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Maybe it's because it is new to me. I have 4 Hardies and they have been great to me. Never a problem. Installing an Nvidia driver in Fedora is still a mystery. It comes with an Nvidia driver good only for 2D acceleration( in testing). Try to get codecs for Fedora. If they exist; they are under double key.

I see, well, if you decide to give Fedora a good look over, the codecs and other "medibuntu" type stuff is all available in a Fedora repo called Livna. You just go to the site, download the repo to the repo list (automatically install a GPG key), and all the goodies are there. Fedora's package manager is YUM (but it has a new cross distro manager called PackageKit) and it truly is cross distro. Fedora even supports apt-get to install rpm software. I, too, am a HUGE fan of Ubuntu and will not give it up, but Fedora was my first desktop distro many years ago (having started with RH7 back in '98), But, I really like Fedora 9 so far and will keep it on this spare laptop for now.

Bob

Pumalite
May 16th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks. That helps a lot.