PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Change Display Manager

celticbhoy
May 16th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Need a little help here, I have a system where Gnome is the default window manager, but I also have KDE3 & Enlightenment installed also. I can switch between the three options without any problems, but yesterday I downloaded KDE4 and I now have a small problem. During KDE4 setup I was asked which display manager to use, and I selected KDE thinking the question would only affect KDE4, but it has set the display manager for all sessions. I would like to return to GDM how do I go about this ???

Patb
May 17th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Celtic, when I uninstall and then reinstall GDM using Synaptic, it gives me a choice during reinstall as to which DM I want to use as the default.

Cheers, Pat.

Xiong Chiamiov
May 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM
The simpler way to do it is:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

You can optionally replace gdm with kdm or kdm-kde4. Dpkg-reconfigure re-runs whatever configuration happens when you install a package, without having to actually reinstall it.

celticbhoy
May 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Thanx guys back to where I was. If I can just open this up a little, as I say I also use Enlightenment & KDE3, will KDE4 also run on the same system, or will it not sit with the other window managers?

Xiong Chiamiov
May 17th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Yes, you can run KDE4 and KDE3.5 simultaneously. I have both of them installed, though I can't get KDE4 to work very well at all (not that it matters - I hate it anyways). It'll be just the same as having both KDE and GNOME installed, since KDE4 uses different packages.

celticbhoy
May 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I know it works as it is there, but If I run Gnome my settings dont affect KDE3 or Enlightentment, yet they seem to affect KDE4. By that I mean I autoload screenlets under Gnome, they dont show or load under KDE3 or Enlightenemnt (the way I want it to be), but when I start a session for KDE4 all my gnome autostarts load. Is there a way around this so that KDE4 has its ouw sesion startup rules?

Xiong Chiamiov
May 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM
That's rather odd behavior; I'm not sure what's causing that. Do you know how GNOME's autostarts are configured (eg, in a folder somewhere in your home directory)?

celticbhoy
May 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I'm not really that on the ball or technical I'm affraid. Must say though looking through the forum's you are a busy boy helping others.

Xiong Chiamiov
May 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I'm not really that on the ball or technical I'm affraid. Must say though looking through the forum's you are a busy boy helping others.
A busy boy, perhaps. Knowledgeable, not as much. I enjoy helping others, and the Ubuntu forums have taken the place of random cleanup tasks on Wikipedia, since I feel this has a more direct impact. Besides, sleeping isn't really that important, right?

yoda2031
May 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm in the same position as Xiong Chiamiov - not very knowledgable but keen to be helpful!!

Ok, do you use compiz-fusion then I take it? If so, is it KDE4 and Gnome you use it for or all your environments? I thought screenlets were a compiz thing, not a gnome thing...

celticbhoy
May 17th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I do use compiz, but compiz and screenlets are both started on my gnome autostart list. Neither of these apps start if I select enlightenment or KDE4 as my sesion, so does that mean that KDE4 will only ever shar a startup list with Gnome, or can they both have there own autostart apps?