PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Nicknames / Alternative names for Countries

Rytron
May 16th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hi,
Does anyone know a web site that lists the alternative names of Countries?
For example Ireland is also known as 'The Emerald Isle', Japan as 'The Land of the Rising Sun', etc.
Any websites to recommend?
Thanks.

forrestcupp
May 16th, 2008, 10:44 PM
The only thing I was able to find is a very large database on racial slurs. I don't think that's really appropriate. It was kind of interesting, though, because it gives a brief explanation of how they originated.

der_joachim
May 17th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I cannot point you to anything else than the on-line encyclopedias. But the information you search is quite fragmented.

I can give you two nicknames though. The Netherlands are known as the Lowlands or the Low lands, because a sizable portion is actually below sea level. The French appear to call their country l'Hexagone (sp?), since France is roughly hexagonal in shape.

Sef
May 17th, 2008, 09:00 AM
The Netherlands are known as the Lowlands or the Low lands

Nether itself mean low or under. Hence the Low Lands is a direct translation for The Netherlands.

gn2
May 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
The Land Of The Free. Always makes me chuckle.

Rytron
May 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Sorted. I found this page:
http://www.glosk.com/TU/Anatolia/-1048557/pages/List_of_country_nicknames/19026_en.htm

bufsabre666
May 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM
i seem to hear the greatest country in the world alot, although i admit i wonder where they get those statistics

der_joachim
May 17th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Nether itself mean low or under. Hence the Low Lands is a direct translation for The Netherlands.

The term 'Lage landen', a literal translation of 'low lands' is commonly used to refer to the Netherlands, and the old Dutch word neder is indeed related to the German word nieder and ye olde English worde nether.

@bufsabre: You do realize that 125% of all statistics is made up on the spot. ;)