PDA

View Full Version : [other] Dual Boot

Tex786
May 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM
How do I go in to change what is displayed in the window that comes up when i need to sellect witch OS I want to run?

How do i change the grub or is it even the grub i need to change?

I am still wet behind the ears so speak my language :).

hums07
May 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Open terminal and type

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Tex786
May 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Open terminal and type

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

I have that open but I do not know how to change what is there. I am scared if i do anything I will only damage my system.

hums07
May 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I see the entries are well commented. Read the comments thoroughly. You should be able to figure out what to modify.
If you need more detailed info, then read the manual for grub (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html).

Plus if you messed your grub, you can reinstall it any time using your live CD:

sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
root (hdX,Y) # change X,Y with the result of the above command
setup (hdX)

Be brave!

CloudFX
May 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM
This is my favourite guide for editing grub:
http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2007/05/ubuntu-how-to-edit-grub-boot-parameters.html

Paqman
May 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I have that open but I do not know how to change what is there. I am scared if i do anything I will only damage my system.

It's always good practice to make a backup of any system file before editing it anyway. If worst came to worst just boot up the LiveCD (or recovery mode) and replace your broken file with the backed-up version.

Falcorian
May 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Well, what do you want to do?

Tex786
May 16th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Well, what do you want to do?

Okey Here is what i want to know.

When I have Xubuntu and Ubuntu installed onthe same machine there are always several things to pick when booting up the computer.

what I want to know how to limit what is displayed in the bootloader. I want to be able to pick Xubuntu or ubuntu with out all this recovery stuff. I just want 2 things to choose from.

I hope you have got the idea of what i want to do.

alzie
May 16th, 2008, 10:36 PM
One way is to use the startup manager

sudo apt-get install startupmanager

It is also available through Synaptic

This allows you to choose your default OS nad on the advanced tab you can deselect the memtest and recovery mode options.

After installing startup manager it will be in System>Administration

I hope this helps