PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU pronounce Linux?

ibuclaw
May 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Just out of curiosity, after watching the Documentation "Revolution OS".
I came to realise I may have been mispronouncing Linux for all this time I've used it.

Or am I?

Forgive me for knowing "proper english", words like seise, recognise, colour, petrol, toilet, tyres... (and many, many more words that americans improperly spell).

But I always thought Linux was pronounced in the terms of:

Line - [Lie-n]
Linen - [Lie-Nen]
Linux - [Lie-Nux]

And yet everyone on the film said "Linux" as in [Lin-Nux].
But, in my mind, surely it would of have to be spelt "Linnux" in order to do so.
ie:
Consonant, Vowel, Consonant, Vowel = first vowel is pronounced softly.
Examples:

tiger [Tie-Ger]
tune [Choo-N]
motion [Mo-Shon]
phones [Fo-Ns]

Whereas:
Consonant, Vowel, Consonant, Consonant, Vowel = first vowel is pronounced hard.

conform [Con-Form]
lesson [Less-son]
passive [Pass-Sive]
wallet [Woh-Let]

Or am I just being crazy here and shouldn't question how a name is pronounced.
Afterall, a name is pronounced the way the name is pronouned. No more, no less, regardless of proper language dialect:
ie:

Sieborn - [Shev-Vaugh-N](I think that's how it's spelt)
Iain - [E-An]
Kyle - [Kie-All]
Bucław - [Bood-Swav]

Any thoughts?

Regards
Iain

Xerp
May 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/

christianxxx
May 16th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I think I say [Lee-Nux], but that's a rather norwegianified (new word:)) pronounciation.
With a "thin" L and pronounced U. If you understand...

Very similar to Linus Torvalds pronounciation..

Bou
May 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Here in Spain we say Leen-oox. Well, the few of us who know what it is anyway.

ibuclaw
May 16th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I think I say [Lee-Nux], but that's a rather norwegianified (new word:)) pronounciation.
With a "thin" L and pronounced U. If you understand...

Yes, I do. And Linus says it in about the same way too (I'd say it was more Icelandified than any of the other four scandanavian provinces).:lolflag:

Paqman
May 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM
In the UK it's generally pronounced "lin-nicks", although you do hear "lye-nicks" occasionally.

Personally I can't say Ubuntu with a straight face, either.

uraldinho
May 16th, 2008, 05:09 PM
leenoox or leenicks.... those that pronounce it as lainux, i tell them it wasn't made by an anglo-saxon speaker.... so you can't anglocise it.

Barrucadu
May 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I say "Lih-NUCKS"

ibuclaw
May 16th, 2008, 05:14 PM
In the UK it's generally pronounced "lin-nicks", although you do hear "lye-nicks" occasionally.

Personally I can't say Ubuntu with a straight face, either.

I personally always say "U-Bun-Too" as in the letter "U". ("You" is a good word to compare it too, except with less pressure on the "Y")
Rather than the african "Oo-Bun-Too" way.

solitaire
May 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I've always said:
Lin (as lynn)
ux (as ucks)

Tyler H
May 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfHm6R5le0

From the man himself....

ibuclaw
May 16th, 2008, 05:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfHm6R5le0 (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfHm6R5le0)

From the man himself....

Ignore that..., back now.

Haha, he put on an arrogant shrug after saying that:D

days_of_ruin
May 16th, 2008, 05:32 PM
If you make the word you can pronounce anyway you want.
And torvalds pronounces it lin-ux.You can here it on youtube if you want.

Tomatz
May 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I've always said:
Lin (as lynn)
ux (as ucks)

Me too :)

I'm English so i cant pronounce anything properly.

The wa-er in Majorca dunt taste quite like it ough-ta

:lolflag:

Nythain
May 16th, 2008, 05:38 PM
lin-ucks, but man, this is way to much thought into it... lin-ucks by any other name would still smell as sweet :P

eOgas
May 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I'm from the midwest in the US and I've only ever heard it pronounced "lin-nix"

Also, I used to mispronounce Ubuntu as Oo-bun-too,
but then I heard Nelson Mandel say it, so now I say Oo-boon-too

karellen
May 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM
in Romanian, Lee-noox

derekr44
May 16th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I pronounce it Linnix

dizee
May 16th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Lin-ucks. How could it be anything else? Heard people pronounce it Linix and it just baffles me. Linus pronounces it lin-ucks in english anyway, so that's good enough for me.

Linen - [Lie-Nen]
Linen is pronounced lin-en not lie-nen here anyway :confused:

Plus even if your example was right, english is possibly the most inconsistent language when it comes to pronunciation. Anyway, it's a name, not a normal word.

Sieborn - [Shev-Vaugh-N](I think that's how it's spelt)
That's an Irish name - spelt Siobhán.

ibuclaw
May 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Linen is pronounced lin-en not lie-nen here anyway :confused:
Tom-Mar-Toe : Tom-May-Toe

I suppose another knit-gritty word would be "developer"

Afterall, you don't pronounce "Dee-Vee-Loo-Per"
I say "Dee-Vel-Lop-Per", though I can imagine people saying "Dev-Vel-Lop-Per" instead.

That's an Irish name - spelt Siobhán.

I knew I was close to spelling it right...
Just be happy that I didn't spell it "Chevauxne"!!! :D

ibuclaw
May 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Aww well...

I suppose I'll keep to my little way of saying it. But I'll keep the varieties in mind when I get bored and start playing with words... ;)

Hmm... I suppose I could always resort to "Cockney Rhyming Slang" to pronounce it...

But I can't think of a sentence that would:
A) Rhyme with Linux while...
B) Making some form of conformed sense while...
C) Keeping it short and snappy (4/5 words max).

Iain

vikramaditya
May 16th, 2008, 06:37 PM
i say "dee-lux" cos it's so deluxe to be different. but then i'm just being a postwhore right now so as to get my post count up :)

will1911a1
May 16th, 2008, 06:44 PM
i say "dee-lux" cos it's so deluxe to be different. but then i'm just being a postwhore right now so as to get my post count up :)

Too bad posting in the Community Cafe doesn't raise your post count.

I pronounce it "Lin-nucks"

dizee
May 16th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Tom-Mar-Toe : Tom-May-Toe
Don't get me started on you english adding an "r" to the "ah" sound. John Motson always going on about Drogbar and english people having idears :)

I suppose another knit-gritty word would be "developer"

Afterall, you don't pronounce "Dee-Vee-Loo-Per"
I say "Dee-Vel-Lop-Per", though I can imagine people saying "Dev-Vel-Lop-Per" instead.

I say dev-vel-lop-per ;)

I suppose it's a matter of accent as much as anything, there's not really a wrong way. Still regardless of line-ux vs lin-ux I can't see how ux becomes ix :confused: Maybe some americans can't pronounce ux just like they pronounce then and than the same.

I knew I was close to spelling it right...
Just be happy that I didn't spell it "Chevauxne"!!! :D
Well at least you know how to pronounce it, it must be awful for people with names like that going abroad. There is another name Róisín that's pronounced Row-sheen but of course everyone ends up calling the girl Raisin :lolflag:

renfrew
May 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I pronounce it l'in-ux like 'lint (stress on first syllable, on the vowel not the first consonant) the second syllable I pronounce like the 'ux' in tuxedo or Uxbridge

n.b. if the editor understood Unicode I could make it clearer with some IPA pronunciation syntax, or maybe it's just me that can't get Unicode inserted into the editor... :confused:

Whichever way linux is pronounced, a big thanks to Mr. Torvalds and everyone since that's worked hard to make it a successful and viable alternative to the closed source monopolies.

uraldinho
May 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hmm... I suppose I could always resort to "Cockney Rhyming Slang" to pronounce it...

Cockney Rhyming Slang and Telford :-k ? Do you not speak brummy or some sort of welsh there :D

intense.ego
May 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Officially, it is LIN NUCKS.

BTW, linen, is pronounced LI (as in literature) NEN

EDIT:

Link: http://www.answers.com/linux&r=67

look at the first entry, they even give you a file you can play

ibuclaw
May 16th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Cockney Rhyming Slang and Telford :-k ? Do you not speak brummy or some sort of welsh there :D

HA! No, at least. Not me.

I was originally from Surrey (Farnborough), Parents from Oxford(England) and Rsezow(Poland). So it's mainly a cross between those accents.

Telford is not completely full of Brummies and yet not quite latched onto the welsh tone that Shrewsbury posseses (we are too far inland (30 Miles from Oswestry) for that sort of accent). It's somewhere neutrally inbetween, but you couldn't tell whether or not its one or the other.

Thanks for noticing though! I didn't think anyone would notice that I was from Shropshire! :D

Perhaps I'll change it to my specific Village... you'll never guess that ;)

But Rhyming Cockney Slang is more of a joke expression, is it not?
[EDIT]

I'm off to take my cherry hogg out for a penn'orth of chalk.
Afterwards, going down the Ice Rink for a pint or two.
Then in off to catch John Wayne to go to Captain Kirk.

Iain

Abras
May 16th, 2008, 08:03 PM
It's important to realize that natural languages rarely follow logic. Like why isn't the plural of mouse, "mouses" or the plural of house, "hice"? They just aren't, so all you can do is learn the little arbitrary rules and move on to more important things. When it comes to product names, it can be difficult to determine the "correct" pronunciation, especially in something that was created collaboratively by people from all over the world. Probably the most "official" pronunciation is the way Linus Torvalds pronounces it. Other than that, you're free to pronounce it any way you want as long as the people around you understand what you mean.

spamzilla
May 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I say Lin-ucks and my co-workers pronounce it ly-nucks

jcollins
May 16th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Lin-ucks

ibuclaw
May 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM
It's important to realize that natural languages rarely follow logic. Like why isn't the plural of mouse, "mouses" or the plural of house, "hice"? They just aren't, so all you can do is learn the little arbitrary rules and move on to more important things. When it comes to product names, it can be difficult to determine the "correct" pronunciation, especially in something that was created collaboratively by people from all over the world. Probably the most "official" pronunciation is the way Linus Torvalds pronounces it. Other than that, you're free to pronounce it any way you want as long as the people around you understand what you mean.
++
I agree...

But, then again, words to describe a group of plurals are even more evasive in their meaning!
ie:

A Congregation of Alligators.
A School of Whales.
A Bale of Turtles.
A Murmuration of Starlings.
A Host of Sparrows.
A Shrewness of Apes
A Culture of Bacteria,

Why such wild ways of describing things? Well... Why Not, eh? The Albanians have 27 nouns to describe moustaches! (I have a "holl")

But enough deviating. I think "Ly-Nucks" or "Lee-Nucks" sounds better. Besides, I don't have the cheek muscle to pronounce "Lin-Nux" on a full-time scale anyway! :lolflag: