PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DPKG wont start

redserpent7
May 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I have done some updates last night as was suggested by the updates manager. Everything went well and then I decided to shut down my computer.

As I started Ubuntu today... it starts normally, then I tried to install an application using the Synaptic Package Manager. Synaptic shows an error message
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

So I tried to run that in terminal and it showed the following error:

dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0004' near line 1:
newline in field name `#padding'

I have located that file and opened it in a text editor and it shows a list of "#padding" just that no other codes are there. I'm guessing that this happened as I updated my OS, maybe a broken package or something. I really don't remember the updated apps.... please tell me how to fix this as I'm clueless..

Pumalite
May 16th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Post the output of:
sudo apt-get -f install

Oldsoldier2003
May 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I have done some updates last night as was suggested by the updates manager. Everything went well and then I decided to shut down my computer.

As I started Ubuntu today... it starts normally, then I tried to install an application using the Synaptic Package Manager. Synaptic shows an error message
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

So I tried to run that in terminal and it showed the following error:

dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0004' near line 1:
newline in field name `#padding'

I have located that file and opened it in a text editor and it shows a list of "#padding" just that no other codes are there. I'm guessing that this happened as I updated my OS, maybe a broken package or something. I really don't remember the updated apps.... please tell me how to fix this as I'm clueless..

the correct command is
sudo dpkg --configure -a the error message assumes you are running as root so it doesn't tell you to sudo. if you did sudo then
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get-update then run
sudo apt-get upgrade and see it it errors.

redserpent7
May 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Actually I kinda fixed that error just now:

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0004

I don't know if this is the right fix but as I can see it, that file was useless so I decided to remove it and it worked. Don't really know why I haven't thought of that earlier but it hit my head...

Anyways thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.