PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] 8.04 issue

jazzz337
May 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Tring to upgrade to 8.04 and I get this message

The upgrade aborts now. The upgrade needs a total of 887m free space on disk "/var". Please free at least an additional 260m of disk on "/var" Empty trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using "sudo apt-get clean"

I have done all this still need space not sure what is needed and what is not needed on the /var any help is greatly appreciated.

kirios
May 16th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Do you have /var on the / partition or a separate partition? Can you post the output of sudo fdisk -l here?

The upgrade aborts now. The upgrade needs a total of 887m free space on disk "/var". Please free at least an additional 260m of disk on "/var" Empty trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using "sudo apt-get clean"

I have done all this still need space not sure what is needed and what is not needed on the /var any help is greatly appreciated.

Oldsoldier2003
May 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM

sudo rm /var/log/*.gzwill removed your archived logs

any particular reason you are running a separate /var ?(if you are not running a separate var try running sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get clean)

Paqman
May 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Try clearing out anything else you don't need on /

HOWTO: Cleaning up all those unnecessary junk files... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140920)

jazzz337
May 16th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Thank you to all of you for your help I solved the issue with Gpart I made the /var bigger had the room