PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Help installing firefox

Briandr
May 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM
how do I install firefox 2 or 3 on Kubuntu 8.04? Its already downloaded to my desktop? Second, is there anything out there like WinZip that can uncompress files. I'd prefer not to use the command line. Thanks.

hermes0710
May 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Open synaptic package manager and search for packages with name firefox and select from the list to install the one you want. (System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager).

In the same app search for rar, zip and install them for compression utilities. You can also install 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html)

Pumalite
May 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
You need tar if you are using Linux.
cd ~/Desktop
tar xvzf firefox-2.0.0.xx.tar.gz
cd firefox
./firefox
Make sure Firefox is closed when you are doing this.

Briandr
May 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I only see the Firefox 1.5 which came with Kubuntu 8.04. I don't see the one I downloaded from Mozilla to my desktop.

Pumalite
May 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Go to>Edit>preferences>downloads>Make it to Desktop

Briandr
May 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I am assuming tar is installed as part of the default installation of Kubuntu? I am also assuming I need to run this in the 'Terminal'. Also if you had read my reply to the person who replied first then you know I'd prefer a GUI interface of some kind.

Thanks for the help

Briandr
May 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Ok. Was not expecting fast replies. This is good though. I can see the firefox I downloaded on the desktop. How do I point to it from within Adept Mgr? That is where the confusion is coming in from, I think.

AlanR8
May 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Briandr

Adept is a program that automatically downloads and installs programs to your machine. It is simple and easy, no need to go to sites and download .tar files etc if the file already exists in Adept. Adept "points" at the *buntu repositories or sources of software.

Just open Adept, and in the search box type Firefox. A list will come up and all you need do is click the entry you want, eg firefox-2 that will install the current up to date stable version of Firefox, NOT the Beta 3 version that comes as default with Hardy. You can also uninstall programs here by right clicking the entry you want to remove and then selecting uninstall.

Sef
May 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Ok. Was not expecting fast replies. This is good though. I can see the firefox I downloaded on the desktop. How do I point to it from within Adept Mgr? That is where the confusion is coming in from, I think.

Read How to Install Anything in Ubuntu (http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/).

Note: It is written for Ubuntu, but the same basics apply.

Briandr
May 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I have Kubuntu 8.04. Firefox 2 does not appear to be in Adept. What appears to be in there is Firefox 1.5. I do understand the concept of Adept. And yes I have Adept go out check for updates. Maybe I am reading this wrong. It talks about candidate version 1.5. If I could figure out how to take a screen shot I'd paste it here.

Briandr
May 16th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Anyone?? After the initial posts by more than one person I'd figure this would be in the bag.