PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update from 7.10 to 8.04 Hardy

Pekke
May 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Hello Friends.

I use My notebook Esprimo Mobile 5535 for Work and I use 7.10 now.

If I run the UPGRADE from the ALTERNATIVE CD I wonder :

- The SIS Mirage 3 Drivers and the resolution 1280*800 that I have choose will be present in the new 8.04 ?? (it was hard to find in internet video drivers for Ubuntu 7.10 SIS!)
The drivers can word also with 8.04 ?

- The Network LAN configuration ??

- The Email in Thundedrbird ?? VERY IMPORTANT

The Upgrade is Easy or it would erase all this things ???

Thanx
Pekke

Pumalite
May 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Upgrades are iffy. Better a clean install.

Sef
May 16th, 2008, 03:50 PM
If I run the UPGRADE from the ALTERNATIVE CD I wonder :

From the Alternate cd (or the Live CD) would be a clean install. An upgrade is using the update manager to go to the next version of your *buntu.

As pumalite said the upgrade would be iffy. Certainly people have it work right, but there is no guarantees it will work right.

As for the alternate cd, use the Live CD and see how things run. If you have problems on it, then likely you will have the same problems with a clean install.

Pekke
May 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Where I can find the LIVE CD ?

Using the live cd, i can "emulate" the ubuntu 8.04 hardy WITHOUT INSTALL IT ???

Is it an emulation ??
Or The Live CD install Ubuntu like Altenate ??

Alternate is like a CLEAN INSTALL ?? is right ?

Pumalite
May 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
You can do a clean install with either one. The Alternate CD is a pure installer (very good too), the Live CD loads into RAM without touching your hardware and allows you to try Ubuntu without installing it. If you change your mind and want to install; you can do it with an icon on the top left corner.
http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

Pekke
May 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Ok..but how can i test for example the video drivers (the sis mirage 3 drivers that i have now in 7.10!) with the live cd (without installing 8.04) but only with running it into the ram ???