PDA

View Full Version : According to Yahoo: Oil at $126 an ounce!

Bungo Pony
May 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Check it out while it's still up!

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/

PartisanEntity
May 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM
The weak dollar is causing this, the weaker the dollar, the less profit is made through the sale of oil, and so more must be charged. Age old rules of the market. No end in sight at the moment.

aaaantoine
May 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
The weak dollar is causing this, the weaker the dollar, the less profit is made through the sale of oil, and so more must be charged. Age old rules of the market. No end in sight at the moment.

...And the more they charge for oil, the more EVERYTHING costs (since transportation factors into virtually every facet of commerce). The more everything costs, the weaker the dollar.

Thus, we have an endless downward spiral into economic hell, because our government and infrastructure are ruled by the oil industry.

mips
May 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM

...And the more they charge for oil, the more EVERYTHING costs (since transportation factors into virtually every facet of commerce). The more everything costs, the weaker the dollar.

Thus, we have an endless downward spiral into economic hell, because our government and infrastructure are ruled by the oil industry.

I think you uys missed the puncline, "Oil at $126 an ounce!"

Oil is price in barrels and not ounces. If it was priced in ounces I would drive my car into the sea right now.

aaaantoine
May 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Oil is price in barrels and not ounces. If it was priced in ounces I would drive my car into the sea right now.

I caught it, but got distracted by PE.

popch
May 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM

If it was, you couldn't afford to do that.

BTW, how many ounces are there to a barrel?

LaRoza
May 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM
BTW, how many ounces are there to a barrel?

(Ounce is 1/128 US gallon, barrel is 42 gallons.)

PartisanEntity
May 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
What country would the barrel be from? Apparently a barrel is measured differently in some parts of the world. Can't remember where I read that thoug, and don't have the time right now to look it up.

popch
May 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM

(Ounce is 1/128 US gallon, barrel is 42 gallons.)

Thank you. So the price per barrel would be 677376 (USD). That's rather steep. At that price, I could open a shop which pulls carts by human power.

LaRoza
May 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
What country would the barrel be from? Apparently a barrel is measured differently in some parts of the world. Can't remember where I read that thoug, and don't have the time right now to look it up.

I am using the the oil standard. The "barrel" has different meanings on context and location, but for oil:

Oil barrel: 42 US gallons, 158.9873 litres,[1] or 34.9723 Imperial (UK) gallons.

Others:

UK beer barrel: 36 UK gallons (163.7 litres).
US beer barrel: 31 US gallons (117.3 litres), the result of tax law definitions.
US non-beer liquid barrel: 31½ US gallons (119.2 litres), or half a hogshead.
US dry barrel: 105 dry quarts (115.6 litres).
Somali water barrel: 200 litres - used in Horn of Africa to measure water and diesel.

dca
May 16th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Damn, that means it'd cost $4,823,173.42 USD to fill up the tank in my Ford pick-up...

mips
May 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Damn, that means it'd cost $4,823,173.42 USD to fill up the tank in my Ford pick-up...

Nah, it would be more. Still have to take into account transport, refining & processing + profit & government taxes ;)