PDA

View Full Version : New camera and Ubuntu

conehead77
May 16th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I just got a new camera and of course i want to transfer the pictures to my computer.

Here is what the manual said:

1. Install the driver from the CD
2. Install the extra software from CD
3. Import pictures from the camera with this software

And of course it has to be Windows or Mac (see picture).
No way! I can just open F-Spot to import the pics in Ubuntu. No need to install a driver, no extra software which clutters my system.

These little things make me a happy Ubuntu user :)

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7773/img0025sj5.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0025sj5.jpg)

freebeer
May 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Yep. My camera acts just like any other usb storage device. Auto-mounts when I plug it in. :D

SomeGuyDude
May 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I always just popped the little card out and stuck that in the reader on my computer. Bingo-bango.

Or, for those without a card reader in their notebooks, they have SD cards that "fold" so they can work in USB slots. Very clever.

...but to return to the subject at hand, F-Spot is hilariously convenient, yes. I'm always impressed.

tact
May 16th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Absolutely!! Totally agree with you. I recently bought a new model canon camera and the moment I plug it in it is detected, even the model name and number, and i can do what i like with the photos on the camera.

My friend, who also uses ubuntu, is having a hard time getting broadband connected at his new home. He had recently bought a new 3G SonyEricsson mobile phone and on a whim connected it to his ubuntu laptop.

Guess what! Immediately on plugging it into a USB port network manager found it and added it as an alternate "wired ethernet connection". All he had to do was click on the networkmanager applet and select his SonyEricsson and he was online.

I also have a new 3G phone, a motorola razr V9. I have a choice in the phone settings as to how it is seen when connected via USB (I can select, on the phone, "Data Connection", "Memory Card" or "USB printing").

When I have my phone set to "Memory Card" - the moment I plug it into my ubuntu laptop USB port it is detected, and mounted, as if it were a USB thumb drive. I can then copy video, and pics, on or off the phone. (I have never played with the other settings)...

And with all these phones, cameras etc... the accompanying "windows driver CD's" are left to gather dust - totally not needed.

THATS sweet. :)

conehead77
May 16th, 2008, 02:21 PM
And with all these phones, cameras etc... the accompanying "windows driver CD's" are left to gather dust - totally not needed.

Not only the driver CDs gather dust, but also the additional software they want you to install. I cant count the times i just clicked "install xyz software suite" and suddenly i had 3 entries in the "start" menu plus all the shortcuts on the desktop... annoying (maybe i shouldnt install all those crap on windows, but on the cover it said it works best for my hardware :D )