PDA

View Full Version : IBM Model M Keyboard

Bungo Pony
May 16th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Anyone have one of these? I bought one at a thrift store for $3 a while back. I just put it on my PC and wow! Clackity clack boing! It's noisy as hell, weighs about 5 lbs, and is probably the weirdest thing I've ever typed on.

The Grum
May 16th, 2008, 01:15 PM
These are still in production. Unicomp make them (now called "Customizer 101"), although they cost $60 each!

LaRoza
May 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I want to get Das Keyboard II for my next keyboard.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Bungo Pony
May 16th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I just discovered they have removable keycaps. Perfect for DVORAK fans! It's almost tempting to swap the letters around just to play with people who use my computer :D

Joeb454
May 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I want to get Das Keyboard II for my next keyboard.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Wow...I don't look at the keyboard that much, but I think I'd get a little confused if I didn't have some keys there. It's a little expensive too

Pekkalainen
May 16th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah Im using one too. Aside for the noise its the best keyboard ever made. They got it right in 1984, there was no need for further development of this input device after that.

:guitar:

LaRoza
May 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Wow...I don't look at the keyboard that much, but I think I'd get a little confused if I didn't have some keys there. It's a little expensive too

You'd be a speed daemon if you had that keyboard. It is a little expensive, but it has everything I want and is high quality I hear. Worth the price IMO.

I spend most of the time with my hands on the keyboard and my eyes on the monitor. I have the new and improved monitor and just need the keyboard.

popch
May 16th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I just discovered they have removable keycaps. Perfect for DVORAK fans! It's almost tempting to swap the letters around just to play with people who use my computer :D

I use one at work. It's the Original Article even if it has a label which says 'alcatel'.

My boss has a strange typing technique which already ruined three of the typical flimsy keyboards they nowadays sell with new PCs. I then fetched one of those IBM keyboards from the data center. Before bringing it to my boss I decided to test if it was still working.

My colleague looked quite strangely at my sudden burst of laughter.

I happened to look at the keyboard for the first time when I had to enter my password. Someone had removed all the key caps and put them on in alphabetical order. It was an 'abcdef' keyboard .