PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Blank screen after login when XDMCP to Ubuntu from Windows Xming

sharkey77
May 16th, 2008, 07:29 AM
After logging into Ubuntu from XP nothing comes up. All I get is the desktop screen.

I have:

Allowed ports TCP 6000, 16001 UPD 177

Disabled firewalls completely

Disabled ESD

Modified gdm.conf to include
KillInitClient=false

Disabled the clipboard

I know the login is successful (but I can't see any icons) because when I go to the local computer it states I am already logged in or vice versa. If logged in via XDMCP already when I login locally I get an error message about ISD and port 5800. I believe 5800 is used by VNC but I am not running that so it may be unrelated.

snelo
May 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I'm having the same problem - I'm running Xming on a Vista box connecting to a Ubuntu box configured as an Edubuntu Classroom server

sharkey77
May 21st, 2008, 05:03 AM
**bump**

Thank you.

bmjbmj
November 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I have the same configration as Selno (Xming on a Vista box connecting to a Ubuntu box configured as an Edubuntu Classroom server). And the same problem.

I can login from other ubuntu/kubuntu computers and from LTSP clients, but not from Xming

If you wait long enought (3-20 minuts) you get an error msg. About "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon"

Ther is more information her:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-325868.html

Non of it worked for me.