PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Having an issue installing 8.04

zenryoku
May 16th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Hi all,

I downloaded and burned the 8.04 build onto a DVD and am trying to install it onto an older Pentium 4 D system. The motherboard is an Intel D945GTP with a GMA 950 integrated graphics chip.

I choose to install it onto my hard drive and the Ubuntu logo with the progress bar appears, slides back a forth several times and then starts to move left to right. It gets almost to the end and then the screen goes to a blinking cursor in the top left corner for a few seconds, then the computer resets.

I've tried both the "normal" and "safe mode" graphic options, but I get the same result

I've have pretty much no knowledge of Linux, but I've heard great things about and want to try it out!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Bubba64
May 16th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Is your iso the desktop or alternative version it sounds like desktop.

zenwalker
May 16th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Is the Live Cd feature words perfectly? Got problem when installing rght?

aysiu
May 16th, 2008, 05:37 AM
How much RAM do you have?

zenryoku
May 16th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Actually, I may have figured it out. Just to test my hardware, I tried to start a Windows XP install and it rebooted as soon as it finished the text-based section at the beginning and the system rebooted. So, I think the on-board video is fried.

I'll try it with another system and hopefully the install will work; if not, I know where to turn.

Thanks!