PDA

View Full Version : Total and utter noob here.

hot_damn_its_adam
October 20th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I'm here to officially proclaim I am no longer a Windows user. I have switched over completely to Ubuntu Breezy 5.10 as of last night and know relatively nothing about it in the general sense, but I'm managing. I was told to come here if I had any questions regarding... well... anything at all. No, I do not know anything about command lines, and all the technical aspects, so forgive me in advance if my questions sound absolutely retarded. I'm in that little thing we call a learning curve :(

Thanks for your patience and welcoming me to the boards though. If I have any problems hopefully you all can help me out.

drucer
October 20th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Welcome! We're here to help! Feel free to ask anything without feeling "this must be a stupid question".

hot_damn_its_adam
October 20th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Welcome! We're here to help! Feel free to ask anything without feeling "this must be a stupid question".

thanks. I'm sure I'll have plenty since I've used basically nothing but Windows and mac's since I entered this world, heh.

Brunellus
October 20th, 2005, 07:31 PM
you have used at least one more OS/desktop environment than most people, if indeed you have used BOTH Windows and MacOS (and/or) OSX. )

hot_damn_its_adam
October 20th, 2005, 07:32 PM
you have used at least one more OS/desktop environment than most people, if indeed you have used BOTH Windows and MacOS (and/or) OSX. )

I'm familiar with windows 95/98/xp and mac OSX and a little OS9

Miguel
October 20th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Welcome, and don't forget this is all about fun. It is as if you were a child again... but now you can touch every little feather of the OS. Again, have fun, learn a lot (which you will) and ask if you have problems.

mokeyjoe
October 20th, 2005, 08:45 PM
About 4 weeks ago I was in the same boat as you. Over that time I veered wildly between 'Wow this is amazing' and 'Aggh, Linux SUCKS'. Now that the teething troubles are over I'm very happy with Ubuntu and hopefully that'll only get better.

Now in the next couple of weeks, if I can get bluetooth working for my flatmates phone and my new ADSL line set up I'll be a 100% convert. With the help of this forum I'm sure it'll be fine. It is one of the best things about Ubuntu IMO.

Some problems are issues with Linux, but many are simply getting used to an OS which, despite appearences, is vastly different to Windows. Mostly in a good way! ;)

dspp
October 20th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I do not know anything about command lines, and all the technical aspects, so forgive me in advance if my questions sound absolutely retarded. I'm in that little thing we call a learning curve :(

Ther are no stupid questions, only stupid users. No, wait that came out wrong.

I have it now. There are stupid users and stupid questions. That's not it.

Okay, here we go... there are intelligent questions by stupid users. Hmm, true but a bit too brutal.

Nevermind. Welcome to Linux. No, wait I mean GNU Linux (c:

Welcome.

Master Shake
October 20th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Adam, one thing I suggest is to become familiar with the Terminal.

I suggest the tutorial at http://www.linuxcommand.org/

That's helped me understand the commands and how the filesystem works more than any other tutorial I've ever used.

poofyhairguy
October 20th, 2005, 11:54 PM
I'm here to officially proclaim I am no longer a Windows user. I have switched over completely to Ubuntu Breezy 5.10 as of last night and know relatively nothing about it in the general sense, but I'm managing. I was told to come here if I had any questions regarding... well... anything at all. No, I do not know anything about command lines, and all the technical aspects, so forgive me in advance if my questions sound absolutely retarded. I'm in that little thing we call a learning curve :(

Thanks for your patience and welcoming me to the boards though. If I have any problems hopefully you all can help me out.

I'd rather help a hundred people like yourself than one person with a bad attitude but more knowledge of Linux.

Welcome.

majikstreet
October 21st, 2005, 12:34 AM

there is no such thing a stupid question. or retarded! :D