PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy upgrade problems

pcglue
May 16th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I did an upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy, but there were errors during the upgrade. Now, trying to use apt-get tells me to run "dpkg --configure -a". When I do that, I get these errors:

Setting up docbook-xml (4.5-5) ...
update-xmlcatalog: cannot open catalog data /var/lib/xml-core/docbook-xml for writing: No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/update-xmlcatalog line 485.
dpkg: error processing docbook-xml (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up ttf-dejavu-core (2.23-1) ...
/etc/defoma/hints/ttf-dejavu-core.hints: Unable to open, or empty.
dpkg: error processing ttf-dejavu-core (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

and then a whole bunch of dependencies on these two packages that can't be installed/configured and then at the end...

dpkg: too many errors, stopping
dpkg: ../../src/packages.c:252: process_queue: Assertion `!queuelen' failed.

How can I fix the problems with the docbook-xml and ttf-dejavu-core packages? Thanks for your help!

zenwalker
May 16th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Well before straight away upgrading to gutys, did u first update gutsy to the new gutsy packages in repo? Thats what the docs says right, if u have read it.

pcglue
May 16th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Well before straight away upgrading to gutys, did u first update gutsy to the new gutsy packages in repo? Thats what the docs says right, if u have read it.

Yes, I did. I followed the upgrade instructions here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades
and had update-manager upgrade all the current gutsy packages first before upgrading from 7.10 to hardy.

EXCiD3
May 16th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Does opening Synaptic and doing "Fix broken packages" do anything?

pcglue
May 16th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Solved.

Fix this problem:

Setting up docbook-xml (4.5-5) ...
update-xmlcatalog: cannot open catalog data /var/lib/xml-core/docbook-xml for writing: No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/update-xmlcatalog line 485.
dpkg: error processing docbook-xml (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2

by creating /var/lib/xml-core directory

Fixed this problem:

Setting up ttf-dejavu-core (2.23-1) ...
/etc/defoma/hints/ttf-dejavu-core.hints: Unable to open, or empty.
dpkg: error processing ttf-dejavu-core (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

by finding a copy of ttf-dejavu-core.hints on the web and copying it to /etc/defoma/hints.

Reran "dpkg --configure -a" and these packages and all their dependencies are OK now. But don't know why it happened in the first place.

j8a
May 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
I succesfully upgrade from Gutsy a week ago, but I have problems with the synaptic package manager and other programs like Firefox. The run but not always, how could I run from the console the fix broken packages. Could you help me?

downforce
June 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I had this same problem on a clean install of Hardy ...

I downloaded the .deb manually and extracted it using ar, copied the hints file to the relevant directory and continued the apt-get install.

All sweet :D