PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to install a Creative Webcam PD1001 in 7.10

kami_iwinaru
May 16th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I've looked and looked and looked at a million different things on how to install this webcam. I'm using 7.10, and I have no clue what to do.

If someone could write a step-by-step kinda thing that would be great, because I'm still new to Ubuntu and don't have a clue what compiling and stuff means, let alone how to do it.

MaindotC
May 16th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I can help you with compiling if you can tell me what directions you found. Can you post the output of the command:

shell@rt3: sudo lsusb

kami_iwinaru
May 16th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Here are the instructions this guy posted:

1. Download the source files that are included in epcam-src-ubuntu-0.7.1.tar.gz
2. Open a terminal
3. Go the directory where you download epcam-src-ubuntu-0.7.1.tar.gz
4. Copy-Paste in your terminal each of the following lines exactly as it is :

tar xfvz epcam-src-ubuntu-0.7.1.tar.gz
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
sudo make
sudo make install
sudo make clean

and here is the output of that command:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 041e:400d Creative Technology, Ltd WebCam PD1001
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

kami_iwinaru
May 16th, 2008, 05:16 AM
i dont get how to go to the directory, because it's just on the desktop
and from there i'm basically lost, lol

MaindotC
May 16th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Dude those instructions are perfect! Ok, the lsusb command shows the webcam as you can see so Ubuntu recognizes it which is good. The directions you posted seem fine to me - let me explain what they mean.

Start executing those commands - I'm writing up an explanation as we speak.

MaindotC
May 16th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Oh I just saw your post about going to the directory. Do you have instant message?

kami_iwinaru
May 16th, 2008, 05:29 AM
yea, i have aim that i'm on right now

pwnd j00 nub is my sn
lol

MaindotC
May 16th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Here's an explanation. First of all, these commands should be run from a command prompt.

tar xfvz epcamp-src-ubuntu-0.7.1.tar.gz

The file you download is compressed - it's the standard in the open source community. This command will uncompress it so you can use it. It's like unzipping files in *******. I recommend you download the file to your desktop.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`

He's just making sure you have the latest of stuff. I can explain it in more detail but I think it'll be a bit over your head.

sudo make

When you do the tar command, you'll see the uncompressed files will be put in a folder. Navigate to that folder in the command prompt. If you list all the files (use the"ls" command), you'll see a file called "Makefile". The "make" command is a special command that when you run it, it looks for a file in the current directory called "Makefile". The makefile has a list of instructions that the command "make" executes.

sudo make install

The final part - as you can tell, this is the "installation". It may or may not make a nice little icon on the desktop depending on how the source code is set up.

kami_iwinaru
May 16th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Building EPCAM driver for 2.5/2.6 kernel.
PLEASE IGNORE THE "Overriding SUBDIRS" WARNING
Remember: you must have read/write access to your kernel source tree.
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/home/booga/Desktop modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic'
CC [M] /home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.o
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:33:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:47:
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.h:162: error: field ‘vdev’ has incomplete type
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:81: error: expected ‘)’ before string constant
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c: In function ‘epcam_recv_pict’:
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:257: warning: unused variable ‘cp’
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c: In function ‘epcam_start_stream’:
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:524: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:465: warning: unused variable ‘endpoint’
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:464: warning: unused variable ‘interface’
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c: In function ‘epcam_open’:
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:973: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘video_devdata’
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:973: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c: In function ‘epcam_close’:
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:993: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c: In function ‘epcam_ioctl’:
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1179: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘video_usercopy’
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c: At top level:
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1265: error: variable ‘epcam_template’ has initializer but incomplete type
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1266: error: unknown field ‘owner’ specified in initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1266: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1266: warning: (near initialization for ‘epcam_template’)
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1267: error: unknown field ‘name’ specified in initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1267: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1267: warning: (near initialization for ‘epcam_template’)
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1268: error: unknown field ‘type’ specified in initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1268: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1268: warning: (near initialization for ‘epcam_template’)
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1269: error: unknown field ‘hardware’ specified in initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1269: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1269: warning: (near initialization for ‘epcam_template’)
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1270: error: unknown field ‘fops’ specified in initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1270: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1270: warning: (near initialization for ‘epcam_template’)
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1271: error: unknown field ‘release’ specified in initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1271: error: ‘video_device_release’ undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1271: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1271: warning: (near initialization for ‘epcam_template’)
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1272: error: unknown field ‘minor’ specified in initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1272: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1272: warning: (near initialization for ‘epcam_template’)
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c: In function ‘epcam_probe’:
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1392: error: invalid application of ‘sizeof’ to incomplete type ‘struct video_device’
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1392: error: invalid application of ‘sizeof’ to incomplete type ‘struct video_device’
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1394: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘video_register_device’
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1394: error: ‘VFL_TYPE_GRABBER’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1394: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1394: error: for each function it appears in.)
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c: In function ‘epcam_disconnect’:
/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1413: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘video_unregister_device’
make[2]: *** [/home/booga/Desktop/drivers/usb/epcam.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/booga/Desktop] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic'
make: *** [default] Error 2

MaindotC
May 16th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I tried downloading and making the source with the following output:

root@rt3-desktop:/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2# make
#make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2 modules
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2 modules
CC [M] /home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2/drivers/usb/epcam.o
/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2/drivers/usb/epcam.c: In function ‘epcam_start_stream’:
/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2/drivers/usb/epcam.c:885: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2/drivers/usb/epcam.c: In function ‘decode_eplite’:
/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2/drivers/usb/epcam.c:1159: warning: unused variable ‘i’
LD [M] /home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2/epcam.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
CC /home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2/epcam.mod.o
LD [M] /home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2/epcam.ko

I wasn't really satisfied with that so I installed build-essential and here's the output:

root@rt3-desktop:/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2# apt-get install build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
dpkg-dev g++ g++-4.1 libc6-dev libstdc++6-4.1-dev linux-libc-dev patch
Suggested packages:
debian-keyring g++-multilib g++-4.1-multilib gcc-4.1-doc glibc-doc manpages-dev libstdc++6-4.1-doc diff-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
build-essential dpkg-dev g++ g++-4.1 libc6-dev libstdc++6-4.1-dev linux-libc-dev patch
0 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 7935kB of archives.
After unpacking 31.9MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

-------edited--------------

Setting up build-essential (11.3ubuntu1) ...
root@rt3-desktop:/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2# updatedb
root@rt3-desktop:/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2# make
#make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2 modules
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2 modules
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
root@rt3-desktop:/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2# make install
install -c -m 0644 epcam.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/video
/sbin/depmod -ae
root@rt3-desktop:/home/rt3/Desktop/epcam-src-0.8.2#

I don't have a webcam to try this out but it looks like it installed properly - I don't see any errors. Hope this helps!