View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server from Scratch VS ISPConfig

May 16th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I recently followed a tutorial to install ISPConfig, and other than the fact it took me hours just to try to get it up and running, it also is much more complex than I thought I would get myself into for a simple Home Server Website. Initially I thought it would be much better for security and easier to work with because of the interface. But, now I feel like I can't do things myself without being afraid of messing something up, so I was debating to Restart from scratch and see what exactly I could do by myself. Any ideas on either ISPConfig or just doing things from scratch? Any and all help is greatly appreciated :-) Thanks!

May 16th, 2008, 05:29 AM
if you're asking for opinions ...

learn how the operating system really works. most server tutorials are written with cli directions because most servers are cli only. this means: if you're using a web interface, you'll have to translate the tutorial into the web interface. so, the problem with using a web interface to manage your server is that you need to know how the cli interface works and how things are arranged on the system before you can use it efficiently.

it might be a battle at first, but it will make things much much easier in the long run. you'll also gain a much better understanding of the system, and you'll get there much more quickly.

it's like learning how to ride a bicycle (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/teachride.html). some parents don't use training wheels. sure their kids might get hurt, but they learn to ride quickly. some parents use training wheels. while that might prevent them from getting hurt in the short term, when the training wheels come off then they have to relearn how to ride the bike without training wheels ... and they get hurt.