PDA

View Full Version : OOH Look what's on my driveway!

jdong
May 16th, 2008, 02:24 AM
My parents are just simply too generous... I received these photos of my driveway a few hours ago, 3 days after my 20th birthday....

The irritating part: It's another week before I get to go home to see it in person!

-grubby
May 16th, 2008, 02:26 AM
WOW! Congratulations. You should probably ask them to put it in the garage, though :lol:

will1911a1
May 16th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Nice car, congratulations. :)

bufsabre666
May 16th, 2008, 02:37 AM
thats awesome i wish my parents were so generous

jdong
May 16th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah, it's gonna be A LOT of fun to drive :)

Depressed Man
May 16th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Might want to blur the license plate.

aimran
May 16th, 2008, 02:49 AM

Picture saved. Thanks for the car Jdong.

Mhurst1
May 16th, 2008, 02:50 AM

Can someone say paradoid :D

KiwiNZ
May 16th, 2008, 02:57 AM
They are very cool

But I always think that who ever gets out of one will make you an offer you cant refuse :)

Tux Aubrey
May 16th, 2008, 03:18 AM
OMG. I hope my kids don't see this thread!

For his last birthday, I gave my 22yo a pirate dress-up set. I don't want his expectations raised by this sort of thing.

Dr Small
May 16th, 2008, 03:33 AM
When I first saw the thread title, I thought that maybe you got your driveway blacktopped (it's a rare thing around these parts :D )

Dr Small

happyhamster
May 16th, 2008, 03:36 AM
The irritating part: It's another week before I get to go home to see it in person!
[dons spoil-the-fun hat...]

So, it could all be a joke then :)

jdong
May 16th, 2008, 03:37 AM

Thought about that, but then figured that license plate to identity is pretty much public information anyway... Once you've worked on the other side of this security game you realize you might as well give up and just get insurance on everything ;-)

This car purchase had been planned for about 2 years though, to replace an aging '96 Honda Accord with something that looks more presentable in the driveway. In case any global warming sensitive folks are out there cringing right now, it's on a low-mileage lease -- a for fun car, anyway. We have more fuel-efficient cars for the bulk of the driving ;-)

Dr Small
May 16th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I'd be more concerned that the gas is $4.00/gallon.

jdong
May 16th, 2008, 03:42 AM

Better have a feel what an American muscle car drives like before it's $8/gallon in a few years, right? :)

-grubby
May 16th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Better have a feel what an American muscle car drives like before it's $8/gallon in a few years, right? :)

man that will suck.

ghindo
May 16th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Picture saved. Thanks for the car Jdong.I lol'd

bufsabre666
May 16th, 2008, 04:58 AM

time to start building some bike paths i see

fissionmailed
May 16th, 2008, 05:14 AM

That's a muscle car? When I hear muscle car I think of those old Fastback Mustangs....

jdong
May 16th, 2008, 05:16 AM
That's a muscle car? When I hear muscle car I think of those old Fastback Mustangs....

Meh it's as muscle as you can get while still having bearable cruising suspension and bearable MPG. It's surely more powerful than the 120HP I4 honda accord it replaced.

fissionmailed
May 16th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Meh it's as muscle as you can get while still having bearable cruising suspension and bearable MPG. It's surely more powerful than the 120HP I4 honda accord it replaced.

I don't doubt that now. Just don't turn it while going to fast. ;D

Icehuck
May 16th, 2008, 05:47 AM

Go get in a 69 Camaro, 70 Chevelle, 67 Mustang, 442, Cuda. Just because it's a Hemi doesn't make it a muscle car.

Edit - Because I had charger listed when I didn't mean to list it.

jdong
May 16th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Go get in a 69 Camaro, 70 Chevelle, 67 Mustang, 442, Cuda. Just because it's a Hemi doesn't make it a muscle car.

Edit - Because I had charger listed when I didn't mean to list it.

When can I expect it on my driveway? :)

Icehuck
May 16th, 2008, 06:01 AM
When can I expect it on my driveway? :)

Shop around, you can easily get any of those cars for less then a brand new civic(not including the Cuda). They won't be full of bondo or rusted out either. Though, the internet is not the way to find these cars believe it or not.

Twitch6000
May 16th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Shop around, you can easily get any of those cars for less then a brand new civic(not including the Cuda). They won't be full of bondo or rusted out either. Though, the internet is not the way to find these cars believe it or not.

You kidding me right?If you aren't please do tell me where the heck to get one I love the 1970 chevelle.

uraldinho
May 16th, 2008, 06:20 AM
man.. you americans have too much money...

Icehuck
May 16th, 2008, 06:24 AM
You kidding me right?If you aren't please do tell me where the heck to get one I love the 1970 chevelle.

Couple things to consider when buying these cars. If you live in a major metropolitan area the prices for these cars sky rocket. I live in the Chicago land area and these cars in the area hit $40,000. However, you move away from the city and you start to see drastic price drops. Check out the local auto trader at the supermarket. Right now the economy blows and people need to ditch the cars to pay the bills.

Do you live in the south?(TN,VA,KY etc) Parts of these states sell the cars for $8,000 to $10,000.

forestpixie
May 16th, 2008, 07:30 AM

I'd love that - I payed £5.70 for a gallon yesterday - as you can imagine I didn't buy very much :(

toupeiro
May 16th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Its a beautiful car. I want an SRT-8 so bad.. I hope you enjoy your hemi as much as your local gas station owner does!

scientist1971
May 16th, 2008, 09:17 AM
this is what the BBCs top gear thinks about it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTYldHCljuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfNSksr-vo&feature=related
good luck with affording the petrol though

AcidHawk
May 16th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Any plans to do something like the following
http://tonyvirtual.blogspot.com/2008/01/ubuntu-car.html

Sugz
May 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
THat tends to be bit of a stereotype with american cars, rubbish brakes, rubbish handling and rubbish suspension. Oooh dear, go German (And this is a brit saying that) :lolflag:

Lem
May 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
It's it fun you want - I drove a Caterham at the weekend. I've previously driven a few quick cars (Lancia Integrale, Elise, Impreza etc.) but this was in a different league. So direct on the acceleration and steering it was like driving a very quick 2stroke race kart.

Dr Small
May 16th, 2008, 01:35 PM
time to start building some bike paths i see
I do that right now.
17 and still haven't got my driver's license :)

Kernel Sanders
May 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM

I would love my petrol to be that price. In the UK we pay $2.24 a litre.

That's almost $9 a gallon.

Those in the states have it made :(

aaaantoine
May 16th, 2008, 03:17 PM
man.. you americans have too much money...

Not all of us do... In fact, most Americans you'll ever meet are up to their eyeballs in debt because of mortgages, student loans, car purchases, and over-influenced consumer mentality. Though to be fair, I don't know how different this is from the rest of the world.

I would love my petrol to be that price. In the UK we pay $2.24 a litre.

That's almost $9 a gallon.

Those in the states have it made :(

The government heavily subsidizes the price of gas here. If they pulled out of that, we'd probably be paying $9/gallon, too.

Joeb454
May 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Our government heavily taxes the price over here :(

Kernel Sanders
May 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM
The government heavily subsidizes the price of gas here. If they pulled out of that, we'd probably be paying $9/gallon, too.

I don't think that's the reason? As far as i'm aware, the US is pretty much paying market price for fuel, as taxation is very low.

In the UK however, only 30% of what we pay is the actual market price. The other 70% is taxation. Seriously.

ice60
May 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
it is strange how different countrys are, i went to school in the US and the UK, in the US all the kids got new flashy cars and in the UK most got cars they could pretty much smash up because they're so bad lol

jdong
May 16th, 2008, 05:19 PM
THat tends to be bit of a stereotype with american cars, rubbish brakes, rubbish handling and rubbish suspension. Oooh dear, go German (And this is a brit saying that) :lolflag:

Lol, it's a completely different purpose... the car's DESIGNED to essentially be a land yacht, not a sporty-tuned track beast. The real German stuff is out of my price reach though. Maybe after I graduate and get big paychecks from corporate America....

intense.ego
May 16th, 2008, 05:20 PM
it is strange how different countrys are, i went to school in the US and the UK, in the US all the kids got new flashy cars and in the UK most got cars they could pretty much smash up because they're so bad lol

If you live in a major metropolitan area (especially London because they have a congestion charge)you often don't get a car at all.

Couple things to consider when buying these cars. If you live in a major metropolitan area the prices for these cars sky rocket. I live in the Chicago land area and these cars in the area hit $40,000. However, you move away from the city and you start to see drastic price drops. Check out the local auto trader at the supermarket. Right now the economy blows and people need to ditch the cars to pay the bills.

Do you live in the south?(TN,VA,KY etc) Parts of these states sell the cars for $8,000 to $10,000.

I do not know much about the American law on this matter, but couldn't you just buy the car in one of those states and bring it back?

Onyros
May 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I sure hope that doesn't come with an automatic transmission.

I can't fathom the idea of an AWD with auto transmission.

Lemme correct that: I can't fathom the idea of having a car with auto transmission. Even the little Smart is undriveable for me because of that. I tried driving one in semi-automatic mode and almost got ejected through the window because I stepped on the breaks instead of the (non-existent) clutch.

How do you people manage, really? Much of the way I drive is dictated by the clutch and shifting gears, anticipating, revving up (or down), etc.

derekr44
May 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Two words:

You suck, dude.

Ok, maybe it was three :lolflag: Congrats and enjoy the ride!

Icehuck
May 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I do not know much about the American law on this matter, but couldn't you just buy the car in one of those states and bring it back?

You can definitely do that and I have friends who have done just that. Some people though don't like the thought of traveling across the country for a car.

schtufbox
May 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'd love that - I payed £5.70 for a gallon yesterday - as you can imagine I didn't buy very much :(

and that's over $10 in US money :o

Sporkman
May 16th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Spoiled brat!!

kaboodle_fish
May 16th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Not a bad car :)

When I see a Hemi badge on a car I am always reminded of Bob Riggle

jdong
May 16th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I sure hope that doesn't come with an automatic transmission.

I can't fathom the idea of an AWD with auto transmission.

Lemme correct that: I can't fathom the idea of having a car with auto transmission. Even the little Smart is undriveable for me because of that. I tried driving one in semi-automatic mode and almost got ejected through the window because I stepped on the breaks instead of the (non-existent) clutch.

How do you people manage, really? Much of the way I drive is dictated by the clutch and shifting gears, anticipating, revving up (or down), etc.

It's a mercedes-benz 5spd (W5A580)... I'm a pretty unrelentless test driver and it held up very nicely... modern automatics have come a LONG way.... It's got a clutchless auto stick thing, though factory tuning of it is not very useful for simulating a manual. I've driven a Diablo tuned Charger and that thing's autostick was very convincing... so you can tell where the next $400 is going to be spent....

(Actually, that might be for a good laser jammer setup, but ANYWAY)

Kernel Sanders
May 16th, 2008, 08:15 PM

How is that possible?

Unleaded petrol is around £1.15 a litre on average ($2.25)
Diesel is around £1.23 a litre on average ($2.40)

So 1 litre is 0.26 gallons.

Which means pretty much multiply those prices by 4 to get the price per gallon:

Unleaded petrol is around £4.60 a gallon on average ($9.00)
Diesel is around £4.92 a gallon on average ($9.62)

Even if you take into account that you paid the highest price in the UK you only just cross £5.00 per gallon?

I think somebody's exaggerating..... :lol:

popch
May 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM
How is that possible?

Unleaded petrol is around £1.15 a litre on average ($2.25)
Diesel is around £1.23 a litre on average ($2.40)

So 1 litre is 0.26 gallons.

Which means pretty much multiply those prices by 4 to get the price per gallon:

Unleaded petrol is around £4.60 a gallon on average ($9.00)
Diesel is around £4.92 a gallon on average ($9.62)

Even if you take into account that you paid the highest price in the UK you only just cross £5.00 per gallon?

I think somebody's exaggerating..... :lol:

Who's using which kind of gallon here?

dca
May 16th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Spoiled brat!!

+1

aaaantoine
May 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I don't think that's the reason? As far as i'm aware, the US is pretty much paying market price for fuel, as taxation is very low.

In the UK however, only 30% of what we pay is the actual market price. The other 70% is taxation. Seriously.

You're probably right about the US, but the individual states definitely tax gas/petrol, at the very least. Not 70% (that's just sick), but enough to make me wait until I get out of New York and into Pennsylvania or New Jersey before I gas up on a road trip.

sw1995
May 16th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure why, but the throbbing in my chipped shoulder is unbearable right now.

spamzilla
May 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Spoiled brat!!

I have to agree here, plus, is that really the kind of car you want to be driving considering the current oil prices?

(42 litres of petrol cost me £47 this morning :()

Anyway, enjoy your new car :popcorn:

Redrazor39
May 16th, 2008, 10:10 PM
LOL for a second I thought it was a Bentley :D:D:D:D:D

But nice car! Your parents are awesome!

Icehuck
May 16th, 2008, 10:12 PM
LOL for a second I thought it was a Bentley :D:D:D:D:D

Don't you love how Chrysler is copying that look for their cars?

markp1989
May 16th, 2008, 10:15 PM

people in england would kill to pay $4 a gallon

ice60
May 19th, 2008, 11:29 PM
If you live in a major metropolitan area (especially London because they have a congestion charge)you often don't get a car at all.
i've lived in London all my life, apart from a couple of years at school and all my London school friends got cars just about, i do have friends now though that don't drive. of course i don't drive, i like getting the train and walking, i like listening to my iPod and i'm happy to walk for an hour or so. if i had a car i've probably weight more lol

Kingsley
May 19th, 2008, 11:37 PM
people in england would kill to pay $4 a gallon
People in America would kill to pay $.14 a gallon. The Venezuelans are lucky!

Venality
May 20th, 2008, 01:35 AM
can i have it? you can keep the engine i have one that works